http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I had seen a 20round mag converted from another 7.62 weapon to uae on a 49/56, what mag was used for this conversion? the matter of drilling the spot welds on a original mag wouldent be hard and tig or spot weld it wouldent be hard to do.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:03 pm 

With a bit of work for the magazine catch, Fal mags would work on a 7.62x51 rifle, not on a regular 49-56.

kelt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

FN FAL magazines are the type commonly used on MAS-49/56s that've been converted to 7.62x51. Fits right in the magwell nicely, but you have to improvise some sort of mag catch, either by grafting a clip onto the magazine or installing a catch of some sort inside the receiver of the rifle. I've seen both done.

For the rifles in the original 7.5, while there are supposedly super-rare 18-round mags, the common solution in the field was to have two ten-round magazines welded end-to-end.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:03 pm 

The common solution, in the field was to use the 10 rounds magazines.

Practically two Mas 49 magazines welded back to back wouldn't work, the bottom mag would be damaged/mud filled/loosing bullets very fast.

It is rumored that larger magazines were built by units armorers during the Algerian unpleasantness by modification of either 24-29 LMG 25 rounds mags or even Reibel MG 35 rounds mags, rumor not yet confirmed by pictures or reliable sources.

In practice, a French combat group of infantrymen relied on their SMG Mat 49 for short distance covering/suppresive fire and to their LMG AA52 for long distance, with the assistance of the 49-56 riflemen to pick at designated targets and/or launch grenades.

I have never felt the 10 round magazine to be a hindrance.
A good fire discipline was part of the drill taught to riflemen in front line units, one learned to count his shots, and refill the magazine engaged in the rifle at each opportunity, keeping the other mags ready for emergency.

In any case, a 20 round mag would have made the Mas 49-56 a lesser weapon for fast snap shooting on the move, I had the opportunity to test fire the FAL and G3, both rifles were slower on the target than the 49-56 during dynamic shooting practice.

kelt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

On using the FN FAL mags; there is the "Inch" pattern and the metric, and also choices of aluminum or steel I believe. Which of these would work well in the 49/56?
Also, I have the 49/56 in both the 7.5 and the 7.62 versions. I have ordered spare 7.62 mags and they just look like the feed lips have been ground; if that is true, why wouldn't the FN FAL mags also work for the 7.5? Not calling you wrong, only realizing that I must be missing something, and asking for clarification. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 am 

The 7.5x54 cartridge has an overall length of 76mm, it would not fit in a fal magazine designed for the 7.62x51 Nato (overall length less than 71mm).

A 7.5 Mas 49-56 magazine has the front lips too short to feed reliably the 7.62x51N round, the best fix up to now adopted by the Army for its SA.TE rifles (upgraded 49-56 MSE rifles rebarreled in 7.62x51N) is the modification of 7.5 mags by fitting an insert at the back of the mag, and using a shorter follower shaped to suit the 7.62 case, positionning the neck of the 7.62 round at the same place as the 7.5.

kelt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:12 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Pics of a conversion,apears to be a metric mag release drilled and tapped

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

What shop does that mag release mod? I like the clean lines of the FAL type set up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Looking at this mod, there are a couple of things you have to do.The bolt-hold open device has to be moved/redesigned or eliminated.Also,at the front of the mag-well you will need to machine in a divot for the front of the mag. But, with all of that said, if you are undertaking this you will know all of this. :thumb: Russ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I've never had any feed issues with the 7.5 MAS mags working with a 7.62 converted rifle.
A metric FAL mag works, all you have to do is add a latch assembly to the side of it.
You can tack weld the latch in the right spot, or actually drill holes and rivet the latch to the side of an FAL Magazine.
This is a 24/29 magazone conversion to fit the MAS 49/56.
The FAL magazine requires no fitting or cutting, just getting the mag latch in the proper position.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to share. Thanks WVChuck for the info! The LM 24/29 magazine worked out well for my MAS 49/56.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:54 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Is that epoxy/JB weld for the clip latch? Also what other modifications, if any, were required, aside from filing down the spine on the back of the magazine? Nice work.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:20 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks. Yes it is jb but the rivets are still protruding from the latch to help hold as well. I just drilled 3 small holes in the magazine, added the jb, then pressed it into place. The top of the magazine was a bit of a pain to modify.. for me anyways. I used a dremel and small ball peen hammer and just worked it a little at a time until it resembled the top of the original magazine and fit into the mag well. This one works "ok" but I have 2 more to try and do a little better with. 8)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 12:22 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

kelt wrote:
The 7.5x54 cartridge has an overall length of 76mm, it would not fit in a fal magazine designed for the 7.62x51 Nato (overall length less than 71mm).

Could one seat the bullet 5mm deeper or 2-3mm deeper and use a different bullet profile? It seems that a lot of headache can be avoided by using an FAL mag and reloading accordingly vs cutting & welding a 24/49 mag.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

You could use a shorter bullet, but setting a FMJ back that much could cause pressure problems. Judging from the length of the feed ramp on the FAL versus the MAS, you could run into feeding issues as the angle that the cartridge is stripped from the magazine and fed into the chamber is different. You'd probably be saving yourself some time and headaches using the FM magazine, and you also wouldn't have to worry about the cartridge overall length.