http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Accurizing SKS
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Any recomendadions for getting my Chineese-made SKS more accurate? I am getting about 2-3" groups at 100 yrds with open sights (and not perfect eye sight as well).

Is there anything to be done to improve it?
Custom Trigger job is one thing, but my current trigger pull weight is just 4LBs and I think that is really good as it is.
Installing Tech-sights maybe? But I don't want to dremel out the retaining pin and also some people said that Techsight on SKS sits really close to an eye (not good and not convenient, especially with glasses).

Currently I am thinking about only replacing the front sight with a thinner one, made by Techsights.
Or alternative path was to add a small plastic tube on the front pin to make it better standing out (per advise of one of my russian friends).

Scope isn't an option really (this is not a sniping or long-shot rifle anyways in my mind) and I don't want to fiddle with optics.

Please advise what would be the best route for me.

Post subject: Re: Accurizing SKS
PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:33 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I'd think ammo is the big thing. I assume you are shooting milsurp stuff, or eastern bloc commercial, like Wolf or some color Bear?

I used Techsights on my Yugo, it worked fine with glasses. I am more accurate with aperture sights, not sure if it helped the gun or not.

Try some US commercial, or some reloads, see if they work better. That would be a cheap quick way to go...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I'm using Herter's brand. They say ammunition is produced in Russia, but they are fairly consistent and definitely not old milsuplus ammo, but new production. A sales guy told me Cabela's bought the plant, so next year same ammunition would be sold under Cabela's name.

Having said that, I want to improve rifle's performance and willing to pay some bucks there, that would be a one-time investment for life. I don't want to replace cheap russian ammo with more expensive american ammo (that was one of the reasons why I bought SKS in the first place - to shoot cheap ammo, to be able to stock a plenty of it for years of practice, etc).

I also believe that myself needs to be improved as well to learn how to shoot the baby. It's a bit lighter than Yougo I owned before and has more noticable recoil (I didn't even notice any on Yugo, but there's some kick in Chinese, but it's not bad at all). As I said, my eye sight isn't 20/20 (more like 10/20 in glasses). I can see the front post if it is alone, but not through the V-notch (especially when everything is blurred even more by a black round target).

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:11 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

MrFox wrote:
I'm using Herter's brand.

That could be an issue. It is eastern bloc, and decent ammo, but maybe not as good as it could be. Better ammo, or at least the "right" ammo, should make the gun more accurate. But hey, you may already have the "best" ammo for your gun?

And I do hear you regarding ammo prices. :thumb:

MrFox wrote:
my eye sight isn't 20/20 (more like 10/20 in glasses). I can see the front post if it is alone, but not through the V-notch (especially when everything is blurred even more by a black round target).

Sounds like my world...getting older has it's issues. :roll: That is why I like the aperture sights. The TechSights did require a little work, you do have to ruin the rear cover latch by removing that pin, and I am not sure how to replace it if you ever want to go back to oem...

But they are really good sights, IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I forgot to mention one thing I got already done. I added USGI sling and I know how to use it. So, my shooting should improve, especially if I shoot not from a benchrest, but from prone (but even from bechrest it would help me with speed and retaking point of aim).

I hear you about Tech-Sight! Did you replace the front sight with the pin from the same company? Did it give you any good? What else have you done?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:13 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I didn't replace the front, but the rear aperture made it far easier for me to aim. I didn't do any serious grouping comparisons, as I had such a hard time with the OEM sights, I hadn't shot much at range. But like most with an SKS have seen, I get 4" or less groups at 100 unsupported, which is the whole minute of man thing. I was never after much more accuracy with the SKS, so I didn't bother with any finer tuning. But I am curious about how good it could get, so I hope you get really carried away with this! :thumb:

Just as an aside...I also recently got a 7.62X39 carbine bolt gun built with an Argentine Mauser action, and if it ever warms up around here, I intend to do some accuracy work with it and some ammo. I'm curious how it will compare with my SKS's, Saiga, and the AK.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:54 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Installed the Tech-Sights T100 and replaced the front post (not sure if it was a great idea, but we will see, I will probably need some loctite - it's too easy to roll up and down with the tool). Aperture looks a bit too big, but then with a round circle of front post, it looks like a ghost ring and seems quite comfortable. I was afraid the sight would be too close to my eye / glasses, but it doesn't seem to be the case. I'll go shooting this week-end and zero it and see how it goes. To be continued.

Last edited by MrFox on Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:15 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Cool! Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

well, I did apply loctite to the front post and went on shooting at 25 yrds. It was on paper and after one full turn of the front post, I got it dead center. Well, 25 yrds is no big deal.

Went to 100 yrds. It's so much easier to aim this way!!! Shot 2" groups about 3" above dead center, on a second round of shooting, learned to aim lower and started getting it right on. It is supposed to be zeroed dead center at 200 yrds. I will plan to go one day for a 300 yrds range (there's only one around where I live), to see how it goes there. But I would call it a success.

So, in my case it was a really smooth trigger out of the box + tech-sights + tech-sight front post + sling. I still shoot cheap russian ammo and I have no problems with it.