http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SKS drum!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:43 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I will add pictures and a functionality report later. Anyway, for a short time there were Chinese AK drums modified to fit a regular SKS rifle. I finally got one and have wondered for some time whether or not these drums work well. I have also had regular AK drums, Chinese and Romanian and have been pleased with both. The Chinese drum is not a copy of the Russian drum and has some unique innovations, those being a "door" on the back of the drum, and a ratchet assembly for the drum mainspring. The drum loads more quickly than other drums, and can be stored loaded with the tension off of the spring.

Well the main question about the SKS drum is whether or not it will work. So far it seems to be easier to change than most of the aftermarket add-on magazines, provided I hold the bolt open when I install or remove the drum and the weight loaded is considerable, but not excessive. The drum, when loaded easily makes a rattling sound so it may not prove that practical.

Post subject: Re: SKS drum!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

BattleRiflefan wrote:
I will add pictures and a functionality report later. Anyway, for a short time there were Chinese AK drums modified to fit a regular SKS rifle. I finally got one and have wondered for some time whether or not these drums work well. I have also had regular AK drums, Chinese and Romanian and have been pleased with both. The Chinese drum is not a copy of the Russian drum and has some unique innovations, those being a "door" on the back of the drum, and a ratchet assembly for the drum mainspring. The drum loads more quickly than other drums, and can be stored loaded with the tension off of the spring.

Well the main question about the SKS drum is whether or not it will work. So far it seems to be easier to change than most of the aftermarket add-on magazines, provided I hold the bolt open when I install or remove the drum and the weight loaded is considerable, but not excessive. The drum, when loaded easily makes a rattling sound so it may not prove that practical.

I want one of those :(

Post subject: Re: SKS drum!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

BattleRiflefan wrote:
The drum, when loaded easily makes a rattling sound so it may not prove that practical.

you're putting a drum mag on an sks and worrying about practicality? besides, if you were going to use it in a shtf type situation (providing it even works) do you think you need to sneak up on some one with a 75 round (or whatever capacity) mag? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:22 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I need to get one RIGHT NOW! Where abouts did you pick it up?

and uh what does shtf mean?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

shtf means "The Poo Hitting The Fan"

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2635783

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:56 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

How much would that SKS weigh with a full drum mag? I imagine it would get annoying after a while, plus you couldn't rest the rifle on anything to steady yourself. That's one advantage of having internal magazines that don't protrude very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:41 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

don't you know the wait will aid in bump fireing. lol I'm just being silly.

1 john 3:18

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:32 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I bought it off GunBroker and it was very reasonable. Unfortunately for me and fortunately for you guys I don't work tomorrow, so i will have a good chance to photograph it and test it. I don't think the drum is going to feed all the ammunition since it was made from an AK drum and the follower is shorter. The BHO device doesn't function either, but I am used to that since my SKS sporter has no BHO at all. I don't think the weight is going to be an issue since there is no play between the drum and the rifle when it is installed. The drum does stick out the sides, but is actually shorter than a thirty round add-on mag. It is alot more practical from a defensive use than would be trying to change those darn 30 rounders. I know, I have a couple left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Well the test didn't go well at all. The little bracket that goes between the end of the breech and the tip of the bullets was bent and although I bent it back, the metal is too thin and the bending caused it to break, allowing the cartridges to slide under the breech. It can be fixed, but that will take a bit of time. The old SKS I used, did its work admirably, and since I hadn't shot it in a while, was re-surprised at how accurate it was. Using an old 30 round mag, the rifle would hit whatever I aimed at. So, at some point I will fix the drum and try again. IMO the metal it too thin, and other such drums would likely suffer the same problems.