http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:05 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I am looking for a good, fiberglass/resin style stock to put on my Norinco SKS. I was just wondering if anyone out there could recomend a particular brand as being above the rest. I would like to do some glass bedding work to really set the action tight into the stock. I would like to get a plain style stock, not a side folder or dragunov style. At the present I am aware of the following types:

Advanced Tech Monte Carlo

Butler Creek Sporter

Ram Line Sporter

Choate Standard

What are the particular advantages or drawbacks to these brands, and which could be bedded easiest with a glass bed like compound. Also, are there any tips or tricks out there that someone knows for bedding an SKS?

Thank you very much for you time,

Cal30Sniper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:41 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

you are not going to get to much adcantage bedding with the gas tube, unless you are cooking the barrel, be very careful on the stocks, many have a buttress behind the reciever making it very difficult to field strip the damn thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:54 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I have exprience with two of the stocks you mention. The ATI and RAM LINE. The ATI looks Goofy but actually feels pretty good to throw it up, but the Ram Line is the Better of the two. Lighter, and more pleasing to the eye..

It is also much lighter then the ATI, and allows fieldstirpping with no problem.

Can't comment on the other two, never used them (Like the looks of them though).

RJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:56 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I have an ATI, like previously said it feels fine just looks a little strange particularly the handguard. I like the looks of that Ramline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:20 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I have a Ramline that I like very much. I saw a Fajen on ebay that sold for twice as much as any sks is worth. It was pretty though, and unique. There are some other out of production stocks. A lot of times you can find a fiberglass stock on ebay cheap. People call them "jungle stocks" etc. They're ugly, but kind of cool too. Good article at the link.

http://www.simonov.net/stocks.htm

anarchyinyourhead.com