http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:33 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have an SKS 'sporter' carbine that uses regular, detachable AK mags. I can not find a 'complete' trigger mechanism for it anywhere. I would like to have a 'drop-in' spare because mechanical things eventually break. Any help finding one would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
dave1947

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:44 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Welcome to the board!

I'd try http://www.sksman.com, http://www.buymilsurp.com, or even Numrich

Even if they don't have it, they might be able to steer you in the right direction.

That having been said, though - are you experiencing issues, or just looking to stock up on spare parts?

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of Democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." George Orwell, The Evening Standard, 8 January 1941.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:32 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

cromanos,
Thanks for the welcome and the information. I have tried the last two places and will try sksman, thanks. No problems yet, just want to avoid loosing most of a day at the range. I have to drive 25 miles one way to shoot.
dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:07 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I feel your pain - I have to drive almost double that. My wife complains that when I go, I'm gone all day, but it's hard not to when it's an hour+ each way. My solution is to take several guns, so if I have a problem with one, I'll have another to shoot.

"That rifle hanging on the wall of the working-class flat or labourer's cottage is the symbol of Democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." George Orwell, The Evening Standard, 8 January 1941.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:59 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I have never seen these spare parts available. I got mine through a police auction from a demilled gun. That is the best advice I can give you. Watch gunbrokers. From time to time demilled kits from police confications come up for sale.
If you are good with metal work you may be able to fashion one from a standard trigger group and some ak parts.
But if you are worried about it failing- don't. I have several of these guns with one that has over 50k+ rds down the pipe. You are more likely to need other parts other than a full TG. The parts that do wear out in the trigger group are the same as a standard sks and are available.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:12 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the info and advice on where to look for trigger parts. I heard that the only difference between a 'sporter' trigger group and a standard sks group is the mag latch/release lever. Do you know if this is true ? I will try to find a std sks trigger and compare the two.

If you take your wife with you to the range maybe she won't complain about you being gone all day. Or is it that she just has other things she wants you to do around the house ? You could always make the lunch 'romantic' by taking along a dinner candle and a rose flower in a small vase. Never know, you might just 'get lucky' and shoot a 'good score'. dave1947

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:36 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I took her a couple of weeks ago - she had fun shooting the .22 rifle - didn't enjoy the 12GA, was OK with the .22 pistol.

I'm thinking about picking up a Kel-Tek Sub2K in 9mm to give her something that's light with low-recoil and a pistol grip, since she has wrist problems and loads ammo suitable for social purposes.