Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Remington trench guns/riot gun

Hammy
United States of America

Remington trench guns/riot gun

#1 Post by Hammy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:28 pm

On the old forum (RIP) some one had asked the question of what was the difference between the Remington trench shotgun versus the Remington riot shotgun. I was shuffling thru some old magazines and in the November 2009 issue of American Rifleman I found one page of an article that gives a description. "The Model 10 trench guns were finished in Remington's commercial-grade blue, and the stocks were unmarked and unadorned with checkering or other embellishments. The top of the barrel was marked "Model 10-A" along with Remington patent dates. Factory records indicate some 3,500 trench guns were made for the government during WW 1. They were stamped on the left side of the receiver with a "US" and the Ordnance Dept.'s "flaming bomb" insignia to denote government ownership. The approximate serial number range was 117731 to 165566 with a "U" prefix to the serial number.
In addition, the government purchased 1,150 plain-barreled Model 10 "riot guns". These differed from the Model 10 trench guns as they had 20" (rather then 23") barrels, and were without hand guards, bayonet adapters, or sling swivels. The martial markings were applied to the top of the barrel rather then on the side of the receiver. These guns, designated "10-R" were in the same general serial number range of the model 10 trench guns. The Model 10-R's were used mainly for guarding prisoners."
After the War, many trench guns were modified to riot guns by removing the hand guards and bayonet lugs, and had the barrels chopped to 20". They retained the martial markings on the left side of the receiver and sling swivels.
Hope this helps and is still relevant. Jim....
U.S. Marine Corps 1975-1979
Combat Engineer

Zeliard
United States of America

Re: Remington trench guns/riot gun

#2 Post by Zeliard » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:22 pm

Thanks!
Proud alumni of Transylvanian Polygnostic University. "Know enough to be afraid."

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

Return to “Military Shotguns”