Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

S&W M&P .22LR Compact pistol review

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

S&W M&P .22LR Compact pistol review

#1 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:04 am

A friend of mine bought this pistol solely on internet reviews. She asked me to drive out to her ranch and teach her how to use it. My first opinion was that it was another polymer pistol of mass production. She paid 300 for it at a local shop.
After a close up inspection of the firearm I found several pluses that are worth writing about.
First the trigger pull on the striker fired pistol is very well made. A not too long of a pull to set the striker and a nice 5 pound release ( on this pistol)
The grip,while not having replaceable web sections fit a woman's hand very well, yet it is not so small as to be unusable by a man with large hands.
The sights are the common Three Dot type and the rear sight is adjustable for elevation and windage (Allan wrench for windage)
The rifling in the 4" barrel looks like it came from an artillery piece! It is without a doubt the highest lands of any .22LR pistol I have ever seen.
After a good lecture on how to shoot the pistol,load the ten shot magazines ( 2 are included) and how the three safeties function we went to her backyard range.
A dueling tree is set up at 35 yards and proceeded to hit the swingers with ever shot! You hold center and you hit the target.
She asked me to shoot the pistol as well which I did. I found it fit my baseball mitt hand very well,pointed naturally at the target and has a very nice trigger pull. Hitting the targets was easy to do as the pistol stays on target while pulling the trigger. I like this pistol.
We went to smaller targets where she once again hit the targets most of the time. The front sight is larger than most .22LR store bought steel action target at 35 yards.
That is really the only derogatory thing I can say about the pistol. You can raise the rear sight and use a 6 o'clock hold in order to see the target if you like.
We tried several brands and types of .22LR ammo and all cycled the pistol with no problems. Only one brand failed to cycle the action. I was shocked that the slide failed to eject the fired casing until I looked at the loaded rounds. She had loaded CCI .22 Long CB Caps! They almost cycled the slide fully!
So, if your looking for an accurate, easy to point and shoot .22LR pistol for your woman or young person,or for that matter yourself, take a long look at this pistol.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

blw
United States of America

Re: S&W M&P .22LR Compact pistol review

#2 Post by blw » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:25 pm

It is not striker fired it is hammer fired though it appears and shoots like a striker

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:41 am

Thank you for the info. It is very smooth and light which is a plus for small hands.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

PennsylvaniaRifleman
United States of America

#4 Post by PennsylvaniaRifleman » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:10 am

hmmm. Thanks Rob, I think I know what my next M&P purchase might be. That's a niche that needs fillin!
Attachments
S&W M&P family (2).JPG

HectorFuego
United States of America

#5 Post by HectorFuego » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:23 am

My wife recently bought an S&W .380 EZ. Also an internal hammer fired gun. Also has a thumb safety and a backstrap safety, so basically you carry it cocked-and-locked similar to a 1911. She wanted a lightweight gun that is easy to rack, not too heavy, and has minimal recoil. It's also easy to load the magazines and easy to take down.

There's a lot to like about the new Smiths.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

ammolab
United States of America

#6 Post by ammolab » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:01 pm

Sounds good.
The new Taurus TX22 has also had some good reviews.

https://www.ammoland.com/2019/01/taurus ... z5kznK8PVv

Return to “General Firearms Topics”