Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Crazy prices on guns at show

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Crazy prices on guns at show

#1 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:11 pm

I just came back from a small gun show in West bend Wi at the Fair grounds. I saw a nice almost unissued M44 Polish Mosin with a matching bolt. Stock was like new wood and it had the import mark on the barrel. No sling. I figured a $400 rifle, maybe? Well I looked at the price tag and it was marked $800. That is no joke- a fact. Firm price. :naughty: :shhh: :lol: :lol:

Am I nuts, or is this crazy. :think: :think: :think: :think: Maybe I am getting to old & cheep :shock:

It looked as nice as this one, but no Polish marked sling like I have on mine. For a $800price tag, one would think it might have an actual Polish sling on the specimen.
Screen Shot 2020-02-01 at 11.13.06 AM.png

It will be interesting what Peterson's new price guide 9th edition has for values.

Standard Catalog of Military Firearms, 9th Edition: The Collector’s Price & Reference Guide Paperback – dated March 17, 2020

To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: Crazy prices on guns at show

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:57 pm

Same here last week. A 250 dollar M91/30 was posted at 400 bucks. No way. i was born at night,not last night.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

ammolab
United States of America

#3 Post by ammolab » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:32 pm

$800 is too much for an unissued Polish M44, but I don’t think you will find one under $500 very often.

A bargain compared to an Unissued M1 Garand or K98 Mauser.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#4 Post by Ghoulardi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:13 am

for so, so long we were use to seeing cheap surplus rifles, pistols of all kinds under 200 bucks, but they were coming in by the train loads. now that there is literally no surplus rifles/pistols coming in, or at the very least a trickle that gets snatched up within a day of being advertised, so expect those kinds of prices now. the only surplus out there now are on the secondary market, it's a sellers market now

everybody thought the "gravy train" would go on for forever and ever ...……………….well that puppy has stopped running. :lol:

I bought all the surplus guns......rifles and pistols I liked and that appealed to me when that train was chugging along for cheap, because somewhere deep in me I knew this couldn't last. it took a few years, but that day has arrived :D

now, if you to talk about AK prices :lol:...………...they ain't 200 bucks now :lol:. I bought all the variants of AKs that appealed to me when they were cheap, for the same reason as the surplus :D . for the ones that I overpaid for, it's a bargain now :lol:
COOL IT WITH THE BOOM-BOOMS!! OVA-DAY!!

luigi
United States of America

#5 Post by luigi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:30 am

Ghoulardi wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:13 am
for so, so long we were use to seeing cheap surplus rifles, pistols of all kinds under 200 bucks, but they were coming in by the train loads. now that there is literally no surplus rifles/pistols coming in, or at the very least a trickle that gets snatched up within a day of being advertised, so expect those kinds of prices now. the only surplus out there now are on the secondary market, it's a sellers market now

everybody thought the "gravy train" would go on for forever and ever ...……………….well that puppy has stopped running. :lol:

I bought all the surplus guns......rifles and pistols I liked and that appealed to me when that train was chugging along for cheap, because somewhere deep in me I knew this couldn't last. it took a few years, but that day has arrived :D

now, if you to talk about AK prices :lol:...………...they ain't 200 bucks now :lol:. I bought all the variants of AKs that appealed to me when they were cheap, for the same reason as the surplus :D . for the ones that I overpaid for, it's a bargain now :lol:
+++ Could not have said it better!
The only surplus I have seen that has dropped in price is the AR15...and they are still making them ....so at 55yrs old+ is an AR15 a "surplus" rifle?

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#6 Post by Ghoulardi » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:08 am

luigi wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:30 am

+++ Could not have said it better!
The only surplus I have seen that has dropped in price is the AR15...and they are still making them ....so at 55yrs old+ is an AR15 a "surplus" rifle?

ARs "surplus"? no, it's a old design but not "surplus". to me and everybody else I believe, surplus refers to military firearms that were once made, issue and fielded to a country's military, but have since been obsoleted and replace with newer models or different models, so they have been stored away in a nation warehouse/arsenals.

the ARs have been so saturated in this country, that figurately speaking, they can't give these rifles away. that's the reason you can pick these up for a 300-400 bucks

vonalt
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

#7 Post by vonalt » Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:43 pm

I got curious and jumped on gunbroker and checked what a 1944 Tula Arsenal M38 Mosin is going for currently. Let's just say I could probably finance a roundtrip ticket to Europe with its value. And, I would not have to end up in the cheap seats either. Amazing.

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#8 Post by Rapidrob » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:02 pm

Classic Firearms is bringing in a shipment of Enfields and Mausers, very well worn. I can imagine the inflated prives on these.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Phantom 778
United States of America

#9 Post by Phantom 778 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:38 pm

vonalt wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 12:43 pm
I got curious and jumped on gunbroker and checked what a 1944 Tula Arsenal M38 Mosin is going for currently. Let's just say I could probably finance a roundtrip ticket to Europe with its value. And, I would not have to end up in the cheap seats either. Amazing.
On gunbroker, I paid $1,200 for a Finnish Mosin Nagant M28-30 with tiger striping. Prices are getting way up there.
Boy Scout for 3 years, JROTC for 4 years, U.S Army for 8 years, Armed Security for 2 years, and finally a Police Officer for 5 years. That equals somewhere around 22 years in a uniform... I guess that means I like uniforms?

Ozzman
United States of America

#10 Post by Ozzman » Tue Feb 04, 2020 6:21 pm

Sadly, the days of $80 Mosin's are over and have been over since 2012.
Gun shows are selling them over $300 now and that is the norm.

Thankfully, I have mine but for someone really wanting to pick one up they are really going to have to dish out a few bucks to get one.
What is the definition of PROCRASTINATION?
"I'll tell you tomorrow"

damorealan696
United States of America

#11 Post by damorealan696 » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:26 pm

Silver lining More collectors, fewer guns ??

LouisCali
United States of America

#12 Post by LouisCali » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:07 pm

damorealan696 wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:26 pm
Silver lining More collectors, fewer guns ??
More like more people with disposable income, at the last show I went to, one guy bought a dealer's entire table of milsurp.

ArkSlim
United States of America

#13 Post by ArkSlim » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:22 pm

Afraid the possibilty of prices increasing enough to make a profit would exceed my remaining time. Will be satisfied with the 5 or 6 I have can not seem to get the time to shoot them anyway.

brianinca
United States of America

#14 Post by brianinca » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:53 am

The bummer is that it's a barrier to entry for young people wanting to get into shooting. Ten years ago it was common to see a couple of kids with 91/30's from Big 5 on the line any given Saturday. $99 rifles are a great way to get people involved and excited about the shooting sports. Now if anything it's a $299 package deer rifle with a cheap scope, which is history free and expensive to shoot. Our club membership hasn't declined in a decade, but it's gotten older. The pipeline doesn't seem to be refilling.

Ghoulardi
Ukraine

#15 Post by Ghoulardi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 10:33 am

brianinca wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:53 am
The bummer is that it's a barrier to entry for young people wanting to get into shooting. Ten years ago it was common to see a couple of kids with 91/30's from Big 5 on the line any given Saturday. $99 rifles are a great way to get people involved and excited about the shooting sports.
so true, but on the plus side, laptop computers have drastically plummed to what they were back them :lol:

Return to “General Firearms Topics”