Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Got a nice model 94 (post 64) at the show and making plans

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

Got a nice model 94 (post 64) at the show and making plans

#1 Post by Reverend Mauser » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:46 am

Hit a gun show Saturday and spotted a winchester model 94 (made in 1969) in excellent exterior condition, a mint bore, and a 1960s Bushnell scope and Weaver side mount and rings for $325 plus tax. The guys behind the tables thought I'd scored very well on this one. My research of auctions showed people paying that price for one of the less valuable Ranger models with a scope and mounts. The scope itself is kind of cool--it's a Bushnell scope chief II, and has a dial that allows you to switch from a post reticle to cross hairs. It was a higher end scope in its day and would comport to a $100-200 scope today.

My plans: I have a young friend with a Marlin but no scope, and I'll pass the glass on to him. I'm thinking of installing a receiver or tang sight, maybe a flip up rear dovetail, and pursuing whitetails in the woods this fall.

My biggest goal at the show was to get a Lee Loader for my Mosin. Got one of those, too. I'll be running to the gun shop today to get reloading components.

Polock
United States of America

Re: Got a nice model 94 (post 64) at the show and making plans

#2 Post by Polock » Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:46 pm

Congratulations on a great rifle. Got my first deer many years ago with a post-64 M94. Do give the scope to your friend --the Marlin wears a scope better than a M94. Your Win. will look great with a "peep" sight. Good luck this fall on your hunt.
"I have never seen a situation so desperate that the arrival of a policeman did not make worse"
Brendan Behan, Irish poet

DaleH
United States of America

#3 Post by DaleH » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:30 pm

Definitely a Lyman or Marbles-type aperture sight! Good score thar’ my man!

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#4 Post by Reverend Mauser » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Do give the scope to your friend --the Marlin wears a scope better than a M94.
I agree, and I have a scoped 30-06 as well, so I'm good for that.
Definitely a Lyman or Marbles-type aperture sight!

These certainly have their appeal. People sometime caution you away from them because they got whacked. It sounds more like what happens when you get sloppy and end up with a scope cut.

Reverend Mauser
United States of America

#5 Post by Reverend Mauser » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:14 pm

Update: I ran out of daylight before I could complete my zeroing, but the gun appears to shoot well, at least with Remington Core Lokts. I'll complete the zero, and try some other ammo. Hornday Leverevolution also showed promise.

I can see why people love their winchesters. This gun handles like a dream.

Return to “General Firearms Topics”