Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Gun show score

Greenmachine
United States of America

Gun show score

#1 Post by Greenmachine » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:51 pm

IMG_1922.JPG
1. Is what i believe to be a Vietnam bringback its an all matching Chinese Type 53 it has some other things about it that made me think its a bring back
2. Is an all matching unissued Romanian M44
3. is the Winchester 1897 its in 16g
4. Is the Springfield model 1898 30/40 Krag dont know alot about these and i have some questions that i will be posting about later.
5. Is an all matching M48 Iraqi mauser
Im hoping to get some better pictures takin and start some individual posts on some of these because like i said i have a few questions and would love to here some feed back on them. Just have to get the uploading pictures thing figured out.

HectorFuego
United States of America

Re: Gun show score

#2 Post by HectorFuego » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:31 pm

Nice! I've not had much luck at gunshows but it is fun to go.

Hector
If you can't kill it with a 30-06 you ain't in North America.
The first rule of intelligent tinkering is, "Save all the pieces."
It'll feel better when it quits hurtin'.

boesman82
United States of America

#3 Post by boesman82 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:07 am

That is a good haul right there. What makes you believe the Chinese Type 53 is a Vietnam bring back?

Greenmachine
United States of America

#4 Post by Greenmachine » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:37 pm

well im just taking a wild guess because no I don't have any paperwork, nor did I buy it from the actual vet that brought it back but some of the things I noticed on it are as follows.
1. no import mark anywhere on the rifle and it was manufactured in 1960.
IMG_2313.JPG
2. the fact that its in the condition that its in and its still all matching numbers even the stock has matching serial numbers
IMG_2309.JPG
3. The sling configuration its a very dirty sks sling thats been modified to fit this type 53
IMG_2308.JPG
4 And this Regimental crest that was installed into the buttstock its the 27th Infantry Regiment the ( Wolfhounds ), who during Vietnam was part of the 25th Infantry Division ( Tropic Lightning ) that served in Vietnam
IMG_2312.JPG
But ill say again none of this proves anything and im sure some one will come along and pick all of this apart.

Greenmachine
United States of America

#5 Post by Greenmachine » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:39 pm

two more
IMG_2307.JPG
IMG_2306.JPG

Greenmachine
United States of America

#6 Post by Greenmachine » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Also in my original post I thought #5 was an Iraqi Mauser well turns out I was wrong which wasn't the first time that's ever happened. But after some research I found out that its a Syrian M48 Mauser all matching numbers. which is still a great find in my book.
IMG_2314.JPG

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#7 Post by indy1919a4 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:33 pm

Do like that Syrian Mauser.. I think that is an Air Force crest. One of the nicer post war crests..

It is a shame that crests are no longer placed on rifles, Bygone elegance.

Oh yeah needless to say that type 53 is so nice that one need to find more words than Nice to describe it.. :)

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:24 am

On the Mosin look at the condition of metal under the wood. Is there rust and evidence of mud/dirt. From one photo it may look like it was rebued over the rust??? Not sure that is really present due to poor light in photo. Most used have no blue or a rust finish like a piece of old barb wire or 1930 tool- a kind of rubbed over rust that forms a nice brownish black patina. i would need more close up views ,but it appears to be mostly bare metal which is what is generally found. Look for rotten wood, or wood discolored from water & dirt in the crevices. Sling looks real enough. Leather ends should have a look of an old glove leather that got wet and dried many times with cracks. Rubbed down with motor oil? The butt plate photo looks right on for jungle rot. I like it. I like the 1960 date. They can range from new out of a cache to rotten from use. That is a nice Mosin and I like the plate. Documentation is the only real way to ID. Here are some additional views:

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/sho ... p?t=893664

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinRareVNM44.htm

https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/long ... rifle.html

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... hp?t=28263

https://www.theakforum.net/forums/14-ge ... -53-a.html

My two lacking import marks. I like yours better. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2014
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

#9 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:12 pm

Great score.
My best ever was in 2010. I had literally won the lottery. Five grand. I got a new laptop, the old one could not be fixed.
I went to the gun show with 600 bucks,i. I paid our way in, mom and my brother.
Used change from my 20, five bucks to buy a nos m1 canvas sling. Guy was wandering the aisles and bumped into mom. I wasn't planning on it, but there it was. :)
Then i found my main reason for going, a Polish tt 33. Got tge gun, holster and mag for 240. Brother nick thought i was a great negotiator for getting the "extras". I didn't tell him at the time they all shipped that way..
Then an impulse buy, a tzr 1 refurb russian m44 . Mismatched follower. Force matched buttplate. But the bolt matched and the gun was excellent. Don't know why it needed to be refurbed, perhaps maje work for thd yugo armory.
Import on the bottom of the barrel. You only know its there by feel.
No cleaning rod or kit, though he offered it for an extra twenty.
I had a cleaning rod at home. Coincidently my yjgo m59 /66 came with the wrong rod. So i was set.
It was a high price at the time, bit the other guns at tge show were in roygh shape for the same price. Plus i saved shipping.
Along with that i bought 1200+ rounds of much needed 7,62x25mm ammo.
With lunch i left broke, but happy.
It was the only show i went to where my mom didn't complain about me spending money.
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

Return to “General Firearms Topics”