http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Taurus model 82
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:18 pm 

About a week ago I got in the new SOG flyer and on the back page they had some Taurus model 82 revolvers in 38 SPL. listed. The ad said that they were used by a foreign government and equipped with a lanyard ring.
Well. I have been wanting to add another wheel gun so I ordered one. When I called I asked where did the revolvers come from and the nice lady advised that she did not know.
Well it came in the day before Thanksgiven, got the call while at the police pistol range training. So I had to wait till Black Friday to pick it up.
I am very happy with the revolver I got and plan to go to the range in the next day or two.

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

Post subject: Re: Taurus model 82
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:00 pm 

Lee, that looks REALLY good. There doesn't seem to be vary much if any bluing wear around the forcing cone.

"If you need Anything more, you either love to waste money on useless crap, or have to wear flip flops, because you are too stupid for Velcro sneakers." Burner

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:08 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have been checking em out also. Seems like a good deal. Let us know how it shoots.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:56 am 

The other day I had to go to the LA State Crime Lab for a meeting. After the meeting I stopped in to say hi to a friend that works there. I told him I had the gun out in my car and he asked it I wanted to shoot it. I went and got the gun. I test fired it into the bullet trap and it did great, the trigger was smooth.

The bore on the gun is in great shape. I don't think the gun has been shot much.

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:27 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

What may I ask was the pistol shipped in? Cardboard box :think: ?Just wondering.

Limited atonement
Irresistible grace
Perseverance of the saints

"Do not drink alcoholic beverages while taking this medication."

Challenge accepted.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:04 am 

surplus-addict wrote:
What may I ask was the pistol shipped in? Cardboard box :think: ?Just wondering.

Just a plain Cardboard box . :)

Semper Fi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:48 pm 

[Lee gets lots of stuff in plain brown wrappers.....] :D

"If you need Anything more, you either love to waste money on useless crap, or have to wear flip flops, because you are too stupid for Velcro sneakers." Burner

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

The Taurus Model 82 is not on the California DOJ Approved Handgun List and therefore not legal to sell in or ship to California. Does anyone know why it is not on the list or if it ever was? Ordinarily this would imply that the firearm failed one or more of the Firing, Safety, and Drop tests conducted by DOJ.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:47 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Mercedian wrote:
The Taurus Model 82 is not on the California DOJ Approved Handgun List and therefore not legal to sell in or ship to California. Does anyone know why it is not on the list or if it ever was? Ordinarily this would imply that the firearm failed one or more of the Firing, Safety, and Drop tests conducted by DOJ.

It "Failed" cause Southern Ohio Gun didn't pony up the cash to pay for the "test". It's really bull-crap.

ALTHOUGH.......

IF, you convert the gun with another hammer and other misc. parts, and it turn it into a single action, you can bring it in to the state.

Reason why? Cause the state waves single action weapons off the roster 8-)

Then, once you get here, put the double action parts back in, and you just brought in a Taurus Model 82 double action revolver WITHOUT breaking the law.

Cool, right? :wink:

Limited atonement
Irresistible grace

Challenge accepted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:36 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

But were Model 82's ever sold new in the U.S. by Taurus? I can understand why SOG would not want to deal with CA DOJ for a few hundred recently imported pistols, but this model has been around for a very long time. Can we assume that it might have been on the list in the past and that its "approved" status expired and was not renewed?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:23 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Hey Candyman, you didn't say what country used your revolver. And i see your markings. Could it have been in the milled off circle below the Taurus logo? just curios. I may have to buy 1 or 2 and try and make some money looks like a good proft margin....( have my own 01 ffl...)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 4:20 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Mercedian wrote:
But were Model 82's ever sold new in the U.S. by Taurus? I can understand why SOG would not want to deal with CA DOJ for a few hundred recently imported pistols, but this model has been around for a very long time. Can we assume that it might have been on the list in the past and that its "approved" status expired and was not renewed?

It was on the list at one point, but these were imported by C.A.I, so they are considered C.A.I. guns, not Taurus guns (as far as I know that is).
And Taurus model 82's are sold new all the time in the US. My grandfather just bought one actually :mrgreen: You can buy them for around $280 to $350 here new. That's why I like the prices on these surplus models.

Limited atonement
Irresistible grace

Challenge accepted.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:33 pm 

Charles Lipscomb wrote:
Hey Candyman, you didn't say what country used your revolver. And i see your markings. Could it have been in the milled off circle below the Taurus logo? just curios. I may have to buy 1 or 2 and try and make some money looks like a good proft margin....( have my own 01 ffl...)

The nice lady at S.O.G. said that she did not know where they had come from. I guess I could call C.I.A. to find out.
The milled area does have a little different color and may have been where the markings were.
I didn't get to the range last week, was under the weather, but will try and make it tomorrow.

Semper Fi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:35 pm 

Well I made it out to the range today.
Shot some standard 38 SPL FMJ.
Attachment:
The attachment Range 12-08-11 025.jpg is no longer available

And some .38 simunition
Attachment:
The attachment Range 12-08-11 029.jpg is no longer available

It shoots pertty good
Attachment:
Range 12-08-11 025.jpg
Range 12-08-11 025.jpg [ 1.55 MiB | Viewed 7123 times ]

Attachment:
Range 12-08-11 050.jpg
Range 12-08-11 050.jpg [ 1.51 MiB | Viewed 7123 times ]

Attachment:
Range 12-08-11 061.jpg
Range 12-08-11 061.jpg [ 1.85 MiB | Viewed 7123 times ]

Semper Fi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Looks like it shot great! :thumb: Thanks for the great pictures!

Limited atonement
Irresistible grace

Challenge accepted.