Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Mauser bolt bending service?

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

Mauser bolt bending service?

#1 Post by ghostdevilguy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:09 pm

Anyone know a good place to go to have one bent? I have a project I'm working on, and a trying to find place to have one done. I bought a new bolt for the project due to some problems with the old one(I will make a post about the rifle when it's done) long story short I ended up with one that is bent, but is not what I was looking for. I have found a few places that offer sporter bending services, but none that will rebend a bolt from one factory profile to the other. My local gunsmith has a 6-8 month waiting list for any work, and it's not worth buying the equipment to bend one bolt, so it looks like shipping it off is my best option. Any suggestions are welcome, and it might be useful to have a list places to go for people.
Attachments
bolt.jpg
Stolen from google, The one I have is like the bolt on the left in this picture, I need it bent to be more like the one on the right.

bobvz
United States of America

Re: Mauser bolt bending service?

#2 Post by bobvz » Sun Jul 16, 2017 6:31 pm

Often times it is better to start with a straight bolt and go from there. Your bolt would have to be first straightened then bent again. Stripped bolt bodies are relatively cheap. I would advise buying a K98k bolt body if it is suitable for your project. They have the bend you want. Then transfer the fire control and extractor.

If you still need it bent this fellow may be able to do it: http://www.angelfire.com/gundam/boltman ... r-bolt?i=4

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

#3 Post by ghostdevilguy » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 pm

I would buy a k98 bolt, but the cheapest I have been able to find a stripped one that I know is a k98 bolt is for $150. The problem I'm running into is that people don't take good pictures of the bolts they are selling, and they don't say what type of bent bolt they have, just that they it's a bent bolt. I'd rather just have the one I bought rebent than spend another $200 trying to buy the right one.

professrh
United States of America

#4 Post by professrh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:38 am

I sent the bolt for my R.FAMAGE pawnshop sporter project to The Boltman (referenced by BobVZ above). His stated minimum turnaround time (in April) was 1-2 months. He's had it almost three, but I'm a patient guy. In any case, the price was very good (between$60 and $75), and the example photos on his website are impressive.

,--Prof

ghostdevilguy
United States of America

#5 Post by ghostdevilguy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:01 am

I ended up taking in to the local smith just to find out how long it will take and how much it will cost. It's going to cost $40 and will be done later this week.

professrh
United States of America

#6 Post by professrh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:10 am

ghostdevilguy wrote:
Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:01 am
I ended up taking in to the local smith just to find out how long it will take and how much it will cost. It's going to cost $40 and will be done later this week.
That's a good deal. My local guy wanted over $100.

bobvz
United States of America

#7 Post by bobvz » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:12 pm

Sounds like a good deal but make sure the cocking cam is protected from the heat and won't cause issues. Also make sure the bolt root is re-hardened so it won't gall when opening the bolt for primary extraction.

Return to “General Gunsmithing”