Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

I’m hoping for some firing pin repair advice, please.

glick
United States of America

I’m hoping for some firing pin repair advice, please.

#1 Post by glick » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:06 pm

I recently came by a Gew 98 in very good condition, with the exception that the firing pin had been broken off. Visual inspection makes it obvious that it was no in-service failure, rather the pin tip had clearly been grabbed by a pair of pliers and deliberately flexed to the point of fatigue failure. This was done on an otherwise all matching firearm. Of course I have my own self-serving theory as to why this might have been done, but I will leave all that for later.

As problems go, this is not much of a biggie to me, as I have a metal lathe in my garage. Given that, I can think of two alternative approaches to a repair: I can simply drill out a firing pin tip sized hole in the striker body, reverse the drill bit and silver solder it into the hole, thereafter profiling and shortening the drill bit to correct dimensions and conformation.

Alternatively, I happen to have a 3 inch section of unhardened 5/32 inch drill rod blank lying around, I could drill a much bigger hole into the striker, solder that in, and re-profile it to suit. Obviously, the unhardened rod would be much easier to work with as far as shaping is concerned, so I’m confident that I could make the repair look much more seamless that way.

My problem is that I have no idea at all as to what the arsenal requirements for pin hardness might have been, so I do not know which approach might be the most advisable in a mechanical sense. Does anyone have an opinion? Of course, I am absolutely open to hearing any other suggestions. Thank you.

ffuries
United States of America

Re: I’m hoping for some firing pin repair advice, please.

#2 Post by ffuries » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:19 am

Get with Don, he does firing pin repairs, you can email him a photo and see if he can fix it for you. He'll solder a new piece onto it and shape it to lenght.

dfsjpn@aol.com
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

glick
United States of America

#3 Post by glick » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks, I thought about looking around for someone to do it for me, but decided that for good or for ill I'd like to try to learn something by doing it myself. But in order to get things kicked off, I wanted to know if it is beneficial or detrimental to use very hard metals in the repair.

glick

ffuries
United States of America

#4 Post by ffuries » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:30 pm

glick wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:22 pm
Thanks, I thought about looking around for someone to do it for me, but decided that for good or for ill I'd like to try to learn something by doing it myself. But in order to get things kicked off, I wanted to know if it is beneficial or detrimental to use very hard metals in the repair.

glick
Beyond my knowledge base that is for sure, good luck and hope someone gives you the information your seeking.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

Return to “General Gunsmithing”