http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:06 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I've only paid for one transfer, but the straw that broke the camel's back was when I missed out on a gun because a different gun store owner took his sweet time sending his FFL. He charges $35 for long guns, too. So, I decided I'd rather do a little paperwork and know that I can rely on myself.

Plus, the savings are going to help a lot, too.

I've heard some folks have gotten theirs in about 3 weeks lately. I'm getting excited!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:36 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Got my C&R license in the mail yesterday. I felt like Ralphie from "A Christmas Story."

Now, what to buy?

I think I'm going to take advantage of Midway's discount and go for some reloading stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:24 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Cool. But get something a little nicer than the red ryder!

26 Russian/Finn/Chinese $7550
Having a C&R

What was I thinking???

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:46 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Without a doubt!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

Don't do it if you value your bank account.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Do you have to have a business to have a C&R license? I was thinking of getting one but I do not want to have to set up a store front or have some sort of zoning variance.

Thank you,

Malcolm Smith

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:32 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Malcolm2 wrote:
Do you have to have a business to have a C&R license?

See here:
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios- ... ordinances

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:59 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

You do not have to be a business to have an 03 FFL. In fact you are not supposed to be using it for business purposes. It is also the best $30 i've ever spent since it paid for itself on my first purchase with it. ~Jim

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:09 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

What Jim said, it's a collectors license, made exactly for folks like us who want to collect these old guns. You can still sell them and buy others, or get tired of it and sell them all, no harm no foul. I wouldn't even be doing this if I had to rely on some other person to get the job done and pay him $50? for a $150 rifle.

All the ATF demands is that while you are licensed you keep track of any C&R eligible firearms you obtain, whether you specifically used your license or not, and you log in where these go if you get rid of some while you have your license.

I've saved several thousand dollars over the last 7 years in transfer fees. Now I'm not saying I wouldn't have more money in the bank if I'd never stumbled onto this site, and caught the bug, just saying if you are going to jump in with both feet, you might as well become your own ship to point.

Good Luck,
Mike

IOWA-Birth Place of John Wayne

There's more than one way to skin a cat, waiting till they are completely dead is the safest!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:39 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Your comment about keeping track of C&R firearms you obtained even though you didn't use the license caught my attention. Just got my C&R this month, do I have to log all firearms that meet that criteria even though I went through Brady on most of them??

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:06 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

garra wrote:
Your comment about keeping track of C&R firearms you obtained even though you didn't use the license caught my attention. Just got my C&R this month, do I have to log all firearms that meet that criteria even though I went through Brady on most of them??

Yes, is the short answer. The regs state that while you are in procession of the C&R license you are required to log in and out every C&R eligible firearm you buy or dispose of. This does not include C&R firearms you had before you got licensed. Think about it this way, that license has one purpose "FOR" you, it allows you to have a C&R eligible firearm sent to you directly. It gives you no special powers when it comes to selling or disposing of a firearm. That's why you still have to send a firearm you decide to dispose of to either a person within your state, or to a C&R holder or a regular FFL Dealer/transfer agent.

In return for this ability to be able to receive, you are required to maintain a log book for incoming and outgoing C&R firearms during the period your license is in force. Your non C&R or modern firearms have nothing to do with this special license and you are no different than anyone else when it comes to purchasing and selling them, and they should not be recorded in your C&R log book.

That's the rules as I believe they are intended.

Mike

There's more than one way to skin a cat, waiting till they are completely dead is the safest!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:49 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

OK, so if I understand correctly, I have to log out the any C&R eligible firearm I own even though it was obtained prior to the license. All purchased with a license log in and if I ever get rid of anything log out.

Seems reasonable enough, thanks,

gg

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:29 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I agree it's a little awkward, I've sold several C&R rifles that I owned prior to becoming a license holder so I logged them out but made a note on the "IN" side stating the date I purchased them so if there was anyone having a look at my records they could see it wasn't an omission on my part.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:33 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I've been a little confused on the logging in of a rifle that turns out to be an antique, so if or when I sold it I was under different restrictions upon who I sold it to since an antique (1898 and prior to) can be shipped directly to an out of state non licensed individual. I still logged it out, and put down as much information as I knew on the recipient.