Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Dutch Beaumont stock restore project

KneverKnew
United States of America

Re: Dutch Beaumont stock restore project

#16 Post by KneverKnew » Tue May 07, 2019 8:19 pm

Feibings dark brown arrived. Working on blending in.

I feel more comfortable about blending in dry edges with more wet stain or even alcohol. I need to keep in mind that Tung oil coats will darken too.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#17 Post by 72 usmc » Tue May 07, 2019 11:47 pm

Looks like a winner. I like this pic w/o the logo on it.
Screen Shot 2019-05-07 at 10.43.47 PM.png
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#18 Post by KneverKnew » Wed May 08, 2019 12:31 am

Photobucket always puts its logo. How did you remove it?

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#19 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 08, 2019 9:29 am

Click on the photo bucket picture, it goes to your photo bucket account page, picture shows up lacking the mark, I took a screen shot with my mac , this then shows up on my desk top and I post your photo through the forum method so it will stay put. If you post through photo bucket when you account goes dead all your photos disappear making a great informative post useless because the pictures will be missing. To post by the forum method put the photos on the desk top of your computer or in a file on the desk top. The Desk top location is easy. Then go down to ATTACHMENTS and click on it. You will see an Add files box appear, click on it. You will see a list of all the desk top items that contain your pictures-the pictures will appear. Find your picture and then hit the choose button. A "file Name bar" will show up below with your picture with a" Place inline box" and a "Delete file box". Take the marker on the your screen and place it where you want to insert the photo. Then click on" Place inline". A computer code for the picture will show up in your section where you wanted the photo. You can add up to 5 pictures per post. If you have more than 5, then start a new reply and add 5 more photos. When done posting and writing you hit the "submit" and the newly written post with photos appears on the forum with the pictures. I do not use photo bucket. I just down load all camera photos to my desk top and any screen shots go to my desk top. That way photo bucket has no control over the photos and I do not have to pay them a photo fee.

Now if you just put the added photos in the " file name bar" that you select, but you do not hit " place inline" for a specific location on the written post; when you hit the "submit" post forum button any pictures in the lower file name bar will automatically appear at the end of the post as attachments. They will look like this:
Attachments
''].jpg
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#20 Post by KneverKnew » Wed May 08, 2019 12:43 pm

Just the info I needed. Photobucket was a last resort. Thanks.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#21 Post by KneverKnew » Wed May 08, 2019 2:44 pm

Ok. I think I’m finished with the staining. So does it even come close to resembling an antique stock and not a new one? It is over 140 years old after all. I know the fact that it has been sanded smooth doesn’t help.
84FC4217-C491-40C8-8DE7-7B43EBBA40BA.jpeg
C4A0B279-9DA4-46BD-9ED9-8DE5048E05DC.jpeg
A5877791-7D35-4131-B9E9-FD0A3C1F2033.jpeg
C1684F6B-6395-4E32-9349-7CC42CE397BD.jpeg
9D90A89D-3991-4B38-B33B-202F83480357.jpeg
After a day of drying I should be able to start hand rubbing in my Tung oil. That should really look nice. I just hope my dye job doesn’t look to splotchy, even though that aged look was what I was going for. I suppose I could drag it around the yard a few times. 😁

I sure appreciate the tips about posting the photos. So much easier than photochuket! But now I have to go back and redo all my previous pictures. Joy.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#22 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 08, 2019 3:42 pm

It looks fine, but it will not fool anyone. It looks 100% beter than what you started with. With a tung oil rub some of the coloring will come off so you can take more off at the hand hold points and after a thin rub of tung oil you can use a wax to finish off the brown with brown shoe polish or more dye if you want a few darker spots. Or leave it a nice uniform color; that is what most people like. Most do not want a redone job like I do where someone will come up and say a nice original stock, but I can refinish it too look better. :doh: You did a fine job from the pictures. That has a nice tone. As an example if you wanted more brown , now would be the time to coat it with the medium brown dye or shoe polish if wax is going to be applied not tung oil. No wax or polish if you use a varnish, oil or shellac.
You may also research candyman's blo rub. viewtopic.php?f=61&t=1231 pictures are gone do to photo bucket.

Just for fun stain a board in two spots; they try your tung oil over one spot, and then try also some minwax wood finish stain - 209 neutral over the other see which one you like. Then put some Staples orange wax Toms 1/3 over the minwax spot and see if you like the results or if you like a more gloss finish of straight tung oil? The neutral sets and enriches the color without a thick coat. Then use wax over the finish and more color can be added into the wax. You can use 2 or 3 layers of wax. I am not sure if you want a dull finish or a somewhat glossy finish. If the tung oil get too glossy, you can tone it down with fine oooo steel wool and a dirt rub.

You might want to try this over the stain on a third spot. :idea: :idea: Also consider Toms 1/3 wax. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmqA-sJSyW0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soxLhMbfLg4

This is a tung oil finish I do not like on my rifles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcy2tPa3hw8
Last edited by 72 usmc on Thu May 09, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

KneverKnew
United States of America

#23 Post by KneverKnew » Wed May 08, 2019 6:04 pm

That final stain I used was the dark brown Feibings. So if I use Tung or BLO I can’t use my gunnys paste?

I think for this Beaumont I’d want a more flat finish. Not sure though.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#24 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 08, 2019 6:37 pm

Yes you can, but be sure the finish has aged 3 months and is cured. This over blo or tung would produce a gloss. Consider my favorite:
Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9NQ33B7lfU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvryJL9okd8

For your consideration, some nice tips and ideas in this reference:
https://arizonaresponsesystems.com/tuto ... finishing/

for example:
You can use Minwax Tung Oil, any brand of Boiled Linseed Oil (BLO), or Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil. Tung Oil is thicker and gives a shinier finish. Linseed Oil takes longer to dry and gives a satin finish. Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil is more expensive, but gives a very nice satin finish. It is essentially BLO with additives for faster drying. Japan Drier is an additive that accelerates the drying time of oil based finishes. Do not use with the light color woods as it will darken the color. Mix equal parts of stain and oil in a small bowl with a tablespoon or so of Japan Drier.
:arrow: You can mix your own coating. The old farm boy mixture is 1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil or Tung Oil, 1/3 thinner (mineral spirits (Less smell), paint thinner (so so), or turpentine), and 1/3 varnish (poly( :snooty:) , or spar ). If you need a close to the wood's natural look and dull finish, then add more tung oil. If you want a hunting gun gloss for more protection, then add more spar varnish. If you want a thin soak and not a thick coat that spreads easier & soaks into the surface, you add more mineral spirits or turpentine to the oil. Long drying time and thick finish use BLO. If you want it to look like a Mosin stock, use orange shellac with some Permatex Indian head gasket shellac compound mixed in to give a darker color. A real fast dry. And I mean fast. I still like the thin as water minwax neutral # 209 to just bring out the color and set the stain so it does not rub off, then I cover with 1/3 Toms mix. I really like Staples orange wax over most applications rather than Toms. A nice natural wood look and old patina feel. This is the best.

Try what you think is best on a spare piece of wood so you can see the outcome. Do not be in a rush. Try a few methods you think are best as practice. See the results, then work on the stock with an eyes open attitude. :dance:
Last edited by 72 usmc on Mon May 13, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#25 Post by 72 usmc » Wed May 08, 2019 7:54 pm

There is also Candymans aged oil finish. Pictures remain intact.
viewtopic.php?t=101

Return to “Stock Care and Replacement Stocks”