Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Powder coating

Burner
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

Powder coating

#1 Post by Burner » Sun Jun 04, 2017 11:04 am

I started playing with powder coating my cast bullets.

More info as the testing continues.
Attachments
40lipstick.jpg
Aint nothing you cant fix with five gallons of diesel and a match.

yooper_sjd
United States of America

Re: Powder coating

#2 Post by yooper_sjd » Sun Jun 04, 2017 3:32 pm

been doing it a few months now, I tried the shake and bake method with harbor freight PC, didn't get good coverage, and it wore my bad shoulder out. took an old vibrator lower (get your mind out of the gutter, it was a tumbler lower) that the bowl just totally wore out on. but on a folders (plastic coffee can) made a bottom metallic screen bowl for in the bottom, soldered on negative lead from a small transform, so now i get a good even coat with 5 minutes of tumbling.

Yoop

lifeon2
United States of America

#3 Post by lifeon2 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:50 pm

I have been playing with a few different coatings and found that the black I ordered didnt coat as well as I liked so I decided to do a single coat with one color then bake and then give it a bout a 20 second tumble with the black and this is how they came out Image

ffuries
United States of America

#4 Post by ffuries » Sun Jun 04, 2017 6:56 pm

lifeon2 wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:50 pm
I have been playing with a few different coatings and found that the black I ordered didnt coat as well as I liked so I decided to do a single coat with one color then bake and then give it a bout a 20 second tumble with the black and this is how they came out Image
Looks like designer bullets......
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

butcharoot
United States of America

#5 Post by butcharoot » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:01 am

yooper_sjd any chance we could gat a pic of your modification/ Thanks, Butch

yooper_sjd
United States of America

#6 Post by yooper_sjd » Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:53 am

See about some pics tonight, gotta dust off camera, and charge it.

patrick_ford
United States of America

#7 Post by patrick_ford » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 pm

What is the point of the powder coating? Does it act as a lubricant?
“We don’t rise to the level of our expectations – we fall to the level of our training” - Archilochus

res45
United States of America

#8 Post by res45 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:47 am

patrick_ford wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:09 pm
What is the point of the powder coating? Does it act as a lubricant?
The answer to your question is basically yes it replaces other types of lubes normal used with cast lead bullets. Some of the other benefits are less to no smoke,clean hands and bullet seater dies as there is no residue on the bullets to gum up the works,just a nice slick finish.

The coating will also add additional diameter to the bullet so if you have a bullet that is borderline in dia. you can coat it and size it slightly larger. I have a Lee 170 gr. RNFP bullet that I shoot on a regular basis in most all my 30 cal. rifles but it's to small for shooting in my Mosin rifles unless I PC it and it shots great as I can size it up to .313" Here is a target I recently shot using the Lee bullet PC'ed at 50 yds. with the irons.

I PC all my pistol an some rifle bullets using the shake & Bake method. I don't PC all my rifle bullets as I have found a couple loads that just shoot more accurately using traditional lube and my RCBS Lube A Matic. Here are a few bullets I have PC'ed,some of the colors were just made up for some left over powder. I'm pretty much just switching everything over to plain old clear.
Last edited by res45 on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

yooper_sjd
United States of America

#9 Post by yooper_sjd » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:21 pm

and you push velocity to over 1200 fps, to jacketed velocities.

lacey
United States of America

#10 Post by lacey » Fri Jun 09, 2017 7:46 pm

That is cool.

res45
United States of America

#11 Post by res45 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:34 pm

yooper_sjd wrote:
Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:21 pm
and you push velocity to over 1200 fps, to jacketed velocities.
I can get jacketed velocity along with excellent accuracy with the proper BHN cast lead,gas checks and traditional lube in my 30-30 mainly due to the fact that it has a 1:12 twist bore which allow me to push the velocity higher an still keep the bullet stable. However my SKS and Mosin rifles have 1:10 twist bores and even with the heavier 185 to 215 gr. cast lead bullets accuracy starts to go south at around 1900 to 2K fps. which is about where the RPM limits of a cast bullet hit a wall. For my purposes thats fine as those bullet molds I had made by Accurate Molds were designed to put the smack down on larger game in the 150 yard or less range.

On average most of my cast rifle loads run in the 1700 to 1800 fps. range with a few below or above that,it really just depends on the purpose of the load. The above load I shot in my 91/30 in 54r is not a final load it's just where I had stopped at during load development,I still have room to go in both charge weight an velocity as long as the accuracy holds up I just have to get some range time to try out some higher graduated loads.

Burner
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
United States of America

#12 Post by Burner » Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:08 am

I haven't tried the shake and bake methods yet.
Seems to messy and too much work.
I use a electrostatic spray gun and just spray them on a tray and pop them in the over for 15-20 min.
Aint nothing you cant fix with five gallons of diesel and a match.

res45
United States of America

#13 Post by res45 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:41 am

Burner wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:08 am
I haven't tried the shake and bake methods yet.
Seems to messy and too much work.
I use a electrostatic spray gun and just spray them on a tray and pop them in the over for 15-20 min.
I have the sprayer as well and it does a great job especially with powders that don't tumble well or when you have those days that are just to humid to create enough static electricity to make the powder stick. I do most of my casting and coating in the cooler and Winter months when conditions are best to use the shake and bake here in NC. I can do enough in that time to cover my needs plus I still use my RCBS Lube A Matic quiet a bit as well.

res45
United States of America

#14 Post by res45 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:19 pm

Cast up a bunch of 45 ACP HP's a couple weeks ago and PC them this past weekend. It was pretty warm out and the humidity was up in the high 80% range so I did the shake and bake in the house and set my toaster oven up out on the back porch. While one batch was baking I had another batch getting ready to go.
I started out with these.

And ended up with these.

Smokey
United States of America

#15 Post by Smokey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:50 pm

You answered a question I had; this works well with rifles. I use a fair amount of cast in an assortment of long obsolete slobbovian clunks I carry in the woods to good effect. Powder coating looks worth trying.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Return to “Bullet Casting”