Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Patching w/ teflon tape ?

Kurt
United States of America

Patching w/ teflon tape ?

#1 Post by Kurt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:29 am

Hello. I have read posts here and other places addressing patching cast bullets with Teflon tape so I thought I would ask some questions, if I may? When the tape is applied is it wrapped in a way that it covers the base of the bullet as with paper patching or is this not done because it would burn off anyway? Also is the amount of tape that is applied determined by the groove space to be filled? Finally, can a jacketed bullet be patched in this way? Perhaps to use a .308 jacketed bullet in a .312 bore? Thank you. Kurt

slowbob2
United States of America

Re: Patching w/ teflon tape ?

#2 Post by slowbob2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:18 am

It is used as "lube " and to protect the base of cast bullets . Jacketed bullets do not need help with either of those problems .

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#3 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:13 am

The tape is wrapped against the direction of the rifling. The tab on the base of the bullet must be uniform and lay as flat as possible or poor accuracy will result.
The tape works OK, not great. Powder coating or a real paper patch is 100% better to use. If the tape fails to "fall off" in flight,the bullet will not fly straight.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Kurt
United States of America

#4 Post by Kurt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:14 pm

Gentlemen, thanks very much for your replies, just thoughts running through my head on a snowy day. Good to know from the experienced. Thank you again. Kurt

DaleH
United States of America

#5 Post by DaleH » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:51 pm

I have a roll of copper foil tape, 1/2” wide, always wondered if that would be suitable for patching ...

slowbob2
United States of America

#6 Post by slowbob2 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:56 pm

Teflon tape is so thin and weighs nothing , it does not really effect the balance or airflow of the bullet . Since copper has mass , is strong enough to interfere with air flow and would have to be fitted perfectly , no it would not be good .

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

#7 Post by Rapidrob » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:03 pm

If the tape forms a flapping tail from being dialogged it most certainly will cause accuracy problems as it has happened to my .40-65 bullets when I tried tape years ago.
I tried all the "tips" written about since the 60's and the only thing that has ever worked well was 18 pound bond paper and powder coating a non-lubed bullet.
Paper patching and powder coating are easy to do and very cost effective if leading is a problem with cast lead or swagged bullets.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

Kurt
United States of America

#8 Post by Kurt » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:15 pm

I was thinking of patching both cast and jacketed .308 bullets to shoot through my Lee Enfields but it might be best if I just by the correct fit for them. It is just that I have about 2000 .308s total and am going to be coming into more when I unload about 400 rounds of 7.62x51 with a bad reputation.

professrh
United States of America

#9 Post by professrh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:09 am

Kurt wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:15 pm
I was thinking of patching both cast and jacketed .308 bullets to shoot through my Lee Enfields. . . .
This is intriguing. Now I'm wondering whether patching or powder coating might make .284" bullets fly straight through my .287" Spanish Mauser.

slowbob2
United States of America

#10 Post by slowbob2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 am

Rapidrob wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:03 pm
If the tape forms a flapping tail from being dialogged it most certainly will cause accuracy problems as it has happened to my .40-65 bullets when I tried tape years ago.
I tried all the "tips" written about since the 60's and the only thing that has ever worked well was 18 pound bond paper and powder coating a non-lubed bullet.
Paper patching and powder coating are easy to do and very cost effective if leading is a problem with cast lead or swagged bullets.
If you do not do it correctly it will not work well . Many people around here have been doing it for a long while with great accuracy , and no problems at all . It will not work on jacketed bullets , just by the correct size . All old military rifles were designed to fire bullets smaller than the groove dia of the barrel . Most Spanish rifles will not shoot .284 boattails , light bullets or many factory loads very well . If you load with the Hornady .284 175 round nose bullet it should correct the problem .

professrh
United States of America

#11 Post by professrh » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:57 pm

slowbob2 wrote: If you load with the Hornady .284 175 round nose bullet it should correct the problem .
Hope so! That's my next project. I bought a bunch of them last spring, but then got distracted by my R. FAMAGE pawnshop sporter fixer-upper.

Return to “Reloading”