My grandfather

Curtis762

My grandfather

Post by Curtis762 »

My grandfather passed away in February of 2018, and I feel it’s time to honor him on here. I learned more about him after his death. I didn’t know he was in the army and he never spoke of it. I’m still learning more about his time in the service. I found his uniform and a picture of him during his time in service. He was a great man, of God, our family and myself. I never once heard a bad word come out of his mouth, or anything against another person. Calm and smooth is the best way I describe him. I asked him once, what advice he would give me about life, I was expecting a long well planned out explanation, but all he said was “ Put the good in front and the bad behind”. That was it. I consider myself blessed to have him as a grandfather and I wanted to share this with all of you. He was a Gentleman. In the picture there is a pencil, he knew how to make the most out of everything he had, that pencil shows more about who he was than I could ever describe. Thank you Roy B, my grandfather, for everything you did, I never deserved you.
Attachments
C5DF7D35-410C-4439-A05C-B8872DA68077.jpeg
C5DF7D35-410C-4439-A05C-B8872DA68077.jpeg (938.69 KiB) Viewed 1587 times

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: My grandfather

Post by 72 usmc »

That pencil reminds me of my dad, a USMC vet from WW II that would smoke his cigars down to a stub, then he put them in his pipe to finish them up. He never did buy pipe tobacco. A Depression Era kid that saved everything. It took 7 dumpsters to clean out just the basement and garage :shhh: :doh: :clap: . You know you win when it takes weeks to clean up the goodies left when you pass.
O, and he had a cigar box full of unused pencils in the basement-- I took that.

You should be able to find records on your grandfather at Fold 3. Sometimes they offer a free period of entry for researchers. Sort of a military Ancestry. com
see free period in Nov. link> https://www.fold3.com/?xid=2044&slid=&p ... s_dc&pmt=e

I can not make out that shoulder patch, can you ID it?
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Curtis762

Re: My grandfather

Post by Curtis762 »

I will get more photo's of his uniform when I get to it. I did find it when looking around for paperwork after he passed. He was born in 1920 and my grandmother in 1918. Married to each other for so long, I can't remember how long they were married. Which means they lived how we were designed to, or at least that's the way I think. I learned that his records were destroyed in a fire in the 70's, I can't remember the details, maybe someone can tell me about it to jog my memory. I will try and get more photos this week. 72 usmc, thank you for the link, i want as much information before it try it.

Return to “Veterans Stories, Range Reports, Hunting Stories”