Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

My grandfather

Curtis762
United States of America

My grandfather

#1 Post by Curtis762 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:31 pm

My grandfather passed away in February of 2018, and I feel it’s time to honor him on here. I learned more about him after his death. I didn’t know he was in the army and he never spoke of it. I’m still learning more about his time in the service. I found his uniform and a picture of him during his time in service. He was a great man, of God, our family and myself. I never once heard a bad word come out of his mouth, or anything against another person. Calm and smooth is the best way I describe him. I asked him once, what advice he would give me about life, I was expecting a long well planned out explanation, but all he said was “ Put the good in front and the bad behind”. That was it. I consider myself blessed to have him as a grandfather and I wanted to share this with all of you. He was a Gentleman. In the picture there is a pencil, he knew how to make the most out of everything he had, that pencil shows more about who he was than I could ever describe. Thank you Roy B, my grandfather, for everything you did, I never deserved you.
Attachments
C5DF7D35-410C-4439-A05C-B8872DA68077.jpeg

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

Re: My grandfather

#2 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:11 pm

That pencil reminds me of my dad, a USMC vet from WW II that would smoke his cigars down to a stub, then he put them in his pipe to finish them up. He never did buy pipe tobacco. A Depression Era kid that saved everything. It took 7 dumpsters to clean out just the basement and garage :shhh: :doh: :clap: . You know you win when it takes weeks to clean up the goodies left when you pass.
O, and he had a cigar box full of unused pencils in the basement-- I took that.

You should be able to find records on your grandfather at Fold 3. Sometimes they offer a free period of entry for researchers. Sort of a military Ancestry. com
see free period in Nov. link> https://www.fold3.com/?xid=2044&slid=&p ... s_dc&pmt=e

I can not make out that shoulder patch, can you ID it?
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

Curtis762
United States of America

Re: My grandfather

#3 Post by Curtis762 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:33 pm

I will get more photo's of his uniform when I get to it. I did find it when looking around for paperwork after he passed. He was born in 1920 and my grandmother in 1918. Married to each other for so long, I can't remember how long they were married. Which means they lived how we were designed to, or at least that's the way I think. I learned that his records were destroyed in a fire in the 70's, I can't remember the details, maybe someone can tell me about it to jog my memory. I will try and get more photos this week. 72 usmc, thank you for the link, i want as much information before it try it.

Return to “Veterans Stories, Range Reports, Hunting Stories”