http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have been seeing these revolvers on some sites and was wondering about their quality. Could you tell me how good they are. are they good quality revolvers? accurate? worth buying? I know they have been thru both world wars and have a lot of history associated with them, but they don't look very impressive to me, but then again neither did M91/30 Mosin Nagant rifles until I learned a little more about them. So any input on the Nagant revolvers would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:30 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I can't speak on the latest batch but I purchased one at the tail end of the last available shipments.

Mine is 1938, Tula marked, wooden grips.

Blueing was about 90% and operation was perfect.

It's "Old Style" design, with loading gate and ejector rod, makes this a fun, interactive weapon. It is unique with its slide forward, gas seal cylinder.

Trigger pull is a lot like trying to pull off your car bumper with your trigger finger, or around 21 pounds of force, in single action (pulling all the way through the trigger to fire). Double action (cock, and fire) is about 13 pounds. The recoil is small enough to allow young or nervous shooters a chance to experience firearms without fear of injury. My only regret is that hard pull which is too much for most kids.

The 7.62*38R cartridge is somewhat anemic in regards to power, penetrating less than half an inch into a 1 inch thick pine board at a range of 25 yards. I did hit it though which says much for the accuracy of the weapon. As a carry weapon or primary home defense weapon, choose something else (better than nothing though). As a fun, historic shooter or collector item, its great. I love shooting mine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:32 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

They are quality revolvers, it's just the caliber and design that are odd, the caliber can be a little anemic, but how much bullet do you need to shoot someone in the back of the head.

μολών λαβέ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:07 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

jshicke, you switched up double action and single action in your post. :thumb:

As far as the underpowered thing goes, that's mostly due to the extremely anemic lawyer loadings. Original military surplus has a lot more oomph. It's still not extremely impressive, but it's not pitiful, either. I personally love mine, although the trigger pull is a bit much for women or maybe younger shooters. They're pretty darn accurate, too.

If you want something that's one of a kind, go for it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 12:29 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Nearly all of the Nagants coming in or in country are in great shape. A few worn and pitted bores, but all of these revolvers were refurbed by the Russians before being put into storage. I have a 1931 Tula, that has wooden grips and an East German property mark. The finish is amazing and the bore is good. The only down side I can think of other than the trigger pull (which can be adjusted, there's a post on that) is the sites, they are nearly non-existent. I thought I would not like the narrow grips (I'm a P.38 guy mostly, so I am used to a wider grip).

Ammo is a question mark with these, I would never think of a Nagant as a self defense weapon, but its certainly not a BB gun. Some shoot other caliber rounds through them but I have not. The .32 S&W Longs leave lead fowling in the bore, cylinder and throat. The .32 H&R Magnams are a better choice (I think), but cost just about the same as the 7.62X38R.

They are a great gun to own and shoot, accurate and fun.

Looking to buy or trade for Kar98k bolt handle marked waffenampt 77.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:57 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Got two of them and both look new. Ammo is a bit expensive though. Reloading can be a bit complicated - but doable. I've shot .32 S&W rounds thru it and, while it works, does split cases and get some lead blow back. For the price, their an absolute steal!

Here's a couple pics of my 2. May help you decide:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:37 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Most Nagants are almost as good as any modern revolver when it comes to blueing and finish. The exception is the 41-43's when the Nazi's was camped out on the Soviet's doorstep. They are crude with a lot of machine marks. But 44-45 they went back to mostly the pre war finishing standards.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:47 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

There is some Russian ammo floating around for it, which has a muzzle vel. of 1050 fps avg. compared to the current Hot-Shot which in only about near 600 fps at best.
So the new ammo is about 50% less powerful!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:00 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

KE is 1/2*mv^2, so more than half. More like 1/4. Prvi says theirs are ~750, and I believe Prvi supplies Hotshot, but who knows. I recently got one, an older import, 1927. Love it. Never been one for revolvers, but if I did my part it held a 2" group at 15, and I am HORRIBLE with pistols. With the 750fps, it felt like a .22 almost. Fit and finish was great, but my example isn't from the current lot. I'm broke right now or I'd be experimenting with reloading...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:07 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Hope mine is as nice as yours Black Wolf. I just orderd another from J&G yesterday along with 5 boxes of ammo. My daughters boyfriend is a C&R holder and I may make this a Christmas present to him since he is making me a gun cabinet.

Love my first one, a 1938 Tula

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:36 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I hope so as well. If I ever get around to stop buying guns and start buying reloading dies - I might be able to reload for it. My priorities are all messed up. :doh:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:18 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Well, I got my Nagant M1895 from J&G today and must admit to a level of disappointment.

The ad states "Rearsenaled to Excellent condition", what I received would be best described as "Good".

The cylinder has external pitting and the bore appears rough. Action is smooth, however.
The import mark obscures part of the TULA mark that I paid the extra $10 to get (not J&G's fault here though).
Anyway, the thread asked how good these were, so here are the photos. You judge.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:42 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I'd be p*ssed. :angry-fire: That is far from excellent and, "good" at best. Mine look brand new...which would constitute "excellent"; I got mine a few years back when they were $69.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:16 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Picked mine up a couple of years ago. 1920 in excellent condition, shot well at the range although ammo is a little pricey. Said to be the only revolver that can be used with a silencer since the cylinder moves forward and seals to to the barrel upon firing. Neat little revolver.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Yes, they are neat. I purchased one last year and would describe it as Excellent.

Now I am trying to decide if I want to send this one back or not. J&G did say I can return it. I really want one but was hoping for a better one than what I got. If I get another is it going to be worse????

Other folks who purchased had great reviews with the exception of one or two folks.