http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:29 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Can anyone tell me how to disassemble the recoil spring assembly so I can replace the spring? It looks like the pin that allows the two inner "rods" to pivot may need to be pressed out and the spring removed and replaced, then re-assemble but that seems pretty tricky so maybe I'm missing something?

I hope?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:15 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Driving that pin out seems to be the only way I can think of to remove the spring.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:04 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I think so too. It is just too odd to be correct though. I know I can do it but that's not going to be an easy task by any means!! I don't plan to do it until I must.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:59 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Why are you replacing the recoil spring?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:15 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Quote:
Why are you replacing the recoil spring?

Yep, I will second the above. Most of those M57s are almost new, and you should have no problem. It's not like SOG dog beaters Polish and Romanian T 33s --ones with weak springs. I'd leave it alone. If you must then just get a new assy. But 30 bucks???? be sure, see http://www.buymilsurp.com/recoil-spring ... 42329.html

I would be more concerned that the firing pin chamber is clean and the slide racks, and the release works. You may also have safety problems. But the spring :snooty: :snooty: :snooty: :snooty: :snooty: Leave well enough alone-- they are almost all new & strong. I have 15 and not a one needed a new spring.

Crest types= viewtopic.php?f=55&t=97734&hilit=crest+types&start=15

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Well I'm not right off, but a recoil spring needs changing if you use it. I bought a couple spares before I realized there appears to be no easy way to change them :?

Thats ok, thanks for the help guys!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:21 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

If you are worried about it I don't think the captive spring is really necessary, you could probably replace it with a standard tok rear guide and front plug and leave the standard unit as one piece. I think the captive spring is just a nice thing to have when dissasembling.

Frank

Vintage Military Match results and info at: oldrustyguns.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I honestly didn't think of that and I expect you are 100% correct. I am sure the spring could be changed out on an original with a bit of mill work if need be, but that is an excellent idea for when the time comes. Thanks Frank!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I'm sure everyone knows this, but I was surprised when shooting my Yugo M57 that the recoil spring guide rod is completely exposed during recoil. The Romanian Tok, on the other hand, keeps the recoil spring guide inside the slide during its recoil operation. I doubt if these two parts are interchangeable.