http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:11 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Can you shoot .32s in a Nagant revolver?

.32 or .32 long?

Is it safe?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:35 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

The biggest problem with Nagant revolvers is that they are really cheap to buy but fairly expensive to feed. Beyond that, they are a well-built, high quality handgun of antiquated design. If you reload then it's worth the effort to reload factory 7.62 x 38R cases.

Technically, you can shoot .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, or even .32 H&R Magnum cartridges through a Nagant revolver. Whether you should is another matter altogether.

Original Nagant cartridges were loaded to about a 16,000 psi pressure ceiling. This is well within the range of the .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long cartidges. Many people shoot the 19,000 psi .32 H&R Mag loads with no problem, but you're probably accelerating the wear on the gun.

The biggest non-factory ammo issue is probably the difference in cartridge shapes. The Nagant round has a tapered case whereas the .32 S&W and .32 S&W Long cartridges use straight-walled cases. When fired in a Nagant revolver the .32's often experience badly bulged or split cases. Also, there is no forcing cone on Russian Nagant revolvers so the use of soft lead .32 bullets can result in lead spitting. Some people actually wrap layers of cellophane tape around the base of each cartridge to increase its diameter so as to reduce the case bulging/splitting problem, but to me this is more work than just reloading the correct factory cases.

If you don't reload and prefer not to shoot the correct profile 7.62 x 38R ammo then your best option is probably to purchase an aftermarket .32 ACP cylinder and shoot that round in your Nagant. .32 ACP ammo is cheaper than .32 S&W Long and uses a jacketed bullet which is much less likely to spit. The cylinder will pay for itself after about ten boxes of ammo. Or... you can shoot .32 S&W Long cartridges all day long and live with the split cases and potential lead spitting. The disadvantages are more irritating than dangerous.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:59 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Thanks RWS. I don't reload, so I will be looking at one of the other options. The easiest and cheapest is just to wrap tape around the cartridges, I think.

I will most likely get a box or two of the correct ammo, and a box or two of .32 longs and experiment. I don't plan to shoot it a whole lot anyway, but you never know, I may actually like shooting it, I may find it to be ergonomic and accurate, and monkeys could also fly out of my butt, but I doubt it. Lol!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:00 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Great explanation. That's good info. Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 9:58 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I've tried .32 S&W longs and .32 H&R Magnums in mine. Bulged cases, poor accuracy. Stick with 38R or get yourself a .32ACP conversion cylinder.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:18 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I've done both .32 short and .32 long. I think I could probably outrun the .32 shorts, they're really weak. See the reading thread on p1 for pics of both.

55_grain

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:28 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

55_grain wrote:
I've done both .32 short and .32 long. I think I could probably outrun the .32 shorts, they're really weak. See the reading thread on p1 for pics of both.

55_grain

What? I have no idea what the "reading thread" is.

Can you provide a link?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:18 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I never tried the .32 or .32 Longs in my Nagant as I got a .32 ACP with the gun. That stuff works great but .32 ACP now is right around the cost of a 50 round box of 7.62x38R by Fiocchi so I just get the original ammo for the gun instead.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:23 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Masamunect wrote:
I never tried the .32 or .32 Longs in my Nagant as I got a .32 ACP with the gun. That stuff works great but .32 ACP now is right around the cost of a 50 round box of 7.62x38R by Fiocchi so I just get the original ammo for the gun instead.

I get Fiocchi leadless .32 acp at gun shows for about 12.50 a box to feed my autos. Cheapest x38r I've seen is still over 20 a box for the yellow box crap. The .32acp cylinders may require minor fitting but have heard they work fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Really? Wow, I'm looking in the wrong places then because 50 round boxes of .32 ACP is $30, and 7.62x38R by Fiocchi is $30 or maybe $35.
Huh, sportsmansguide doesn't carry 7.62x38R any more.
Damn.
Ammotogo doesn't have it either.
:(

I guess I will have to use .32 from now on.
The cylinder is already timed properly and I don't get any lead spit.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 4:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I found 7.62 Nagant ammo at AIM for $22.00 a box of fifty, of course that doesn't include shipping, which will probably make it more like $30.

I'll buy a 440 tin of 7.62x54R at the same time I order it, so maybe I will save a little on shipping that way.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Alden wrote:
55_grain wrote:

55_grain

What? I have no idea what the "reading thread" is.

Can you provide a link?

Poor typing skills on my part, I'm afraid. Should have read "reloading" thread. Which is here:
viewtopic.php?f=71&t=109011

55_grain