Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

WW1 Piercing arrows - Flechettes

M67
Slovenia

WW1 Piercing arrows - Flechettes

#1 Post by M67 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:12 am

I would like to show my little arrow from WW1. Piercing arrows dropped from Italian planes onto the Austro-Hungarian trenches and artilery observer baloon positions.
They were oroginaly from France so the name is French - flechettes. Flechetts were usually dropped in bundles, which dispersed the missiles over a wide area; flechettes were used as anti-personnel weapons.
They were steel short rods, sharpened at the tip and weighted to make them fall straight into a fast descent, pulled by gravity. The tail was shaped a cross-section in the form of an “X” that made the darts extremely aerodynamic, explicitly designed so they would fall smoothly through the air to the designated location. You can see »my« arrow how simple designed is.
These arrows weren’t the most precise thing in the world but they proved more than adequate to instill fear in whoever was down below.
My granmother used to tell me about Italian air attacks performed by these small falling arrows. They should stayed in the houses till attaks ended.

I got this one from Italy, from Assiago area.
Attachments
puscica2.jpg
puscica.jpg
puscica 1.jpg
»You're a disgrace. I'd like to know how you got to be a Captain, anyway. »Yossarian: »You promoted me.« Colonel Cathcart: » That has got nothing to do with it.«

Rapidrob
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
United States of America

Re: WW1 Piercing arrows - Flechettes

#2 Post by Rapidrob » Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:40 am

A nice piece of history.
At super sonic speeds they would have been deadly.
Both sides in WWII used them .We called ours "Yellow Dog Bomblets" They looked like a core of a .50 BMG bullet with fins.
Tin Can Sailor
'Nam Vet
NRA Endowment Member
President New Mexico Military Surplus Rifle Pistol Shooters

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: WW1 Piercing arrows - Flechettes

#3 Post by indy1919a4 » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:11 pm

Thanks, I did not know they used them back in WW I, Should have known better.. Thanks again

Return to “Bayonets, Knives and Swords”