http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I imagine these bullets go so fast because its a relatively light ball with a hell of alot of powder!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:34 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I'm with Burner and cedbwo,

Ive had many bad batches that were only good for components or collecting headstamps. Very loose bullets you can pull out or push in with little or no effort
ImageThis was a full box I've been going through and is typical "Bad Turk" I think. Many bandos I've recieved were great, clean ammo. But cracks are always a concern with Turk IMHO PS here is my poor UPS driver with another box of :shock: dirty old Turk 8mm LOL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:37 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Image[/quote]

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: =P~ =P~
I don't know what's better, her showing up at your door, or the ammo...hmmm..definately her.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:05 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

When I got off work I completely forgot to go back to Dunhams!! :x I did however find time to shoot my M48 with both the turk surplus and commercial Winchester. With the Winchester I had a 2"-2.5" gruoup at 100 yds, not quite as good with the surplus but not bad. I did not have a single missfire in 20 rounds. I removed all the cracked cases from the group (only 4), and plan to keep the bullets for reloading. When I removed the bullet from the one it was full to the base of the bullet with powder!! :o I didn't think they kicked that bad yesterday. :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:04 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Yeah, the turks loaded their ammo to the maximum you can go to without failure of something.
Try shooting it out of a long rifle. I get pretty sore after awhile. With mine, if you shake a loaded round next to your ear you can't hear any powder. Its in there, but its packed so tightly up against the base of the bullet the powder can't move. Scary stuff man. :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:11 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have 7.9/FS/1951/TOC shells that wer given to my husband when he bought a Mosin Nagant. The shells do Not fit that rifel. Can you please tell me what kind of rifel they do fit?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:32 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

The jackets on German and most Turk bullets are cupro-nickle or gilding metal clad mild steel. Much of the Turk and early German bullets have cupro-nickel cladding(plating) which imparts a silvery-gold color. Gilding metal is more copper-colored and is seen on later Turk ammo.

Common steel can be formulated and heat treated to be quite soft in comparison to barrel steel. Just like a drill bit is harder than the metal it drills into. The reason for the cladding is to provide a friction barrier between the bullet and the bore. Without it, the bullet would friction weld into the bore on the first shot. It also prevents the bullet from rusting.

Pure gilding metal jackets are better, but copper and nickle are in high demand during wartime and conservation of resources dictates using them sparingly. Steel on the other hand is cheap and plentiful. Steel jackets also help to pierce light armor. Late in WW2, the Germans produced bullets with iron rod cores surrounded by a thin layer of lead encased in a clad steel jacket. This was done to conserve lead.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

susanthunder wrote:
I have 7.9/FS/1951/TOC shells that wer given to my husband when he bought a Mosin Nagant. The shells do Not fit that rifel. Can you please tell me what kind of rifel they do fit?

Without a picture of the cartridge, and headstamps difficult to tell.

7.9 leads me to believe a 8mm rifle (will not work in Mosin Nagants, they are rimmed)

Looked up FS and TOC in my online reference sites, and didn't/couldn't find them.

It's possible though the TOC is T(Cresent)C which would make it Turkish 8mm JS ammo made in 1951. This ammo would work in 8mm Mauser rifles.

http://www.afte.org/ExamResources/galle ... ers_001/T/

Ed

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:49 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Sure sounds like Turk 8mm.

"Vertroue in God en die Mauser".-Faith in God and the Mauser.

"Send lawyers, guns and money." -Warren Zevon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:06 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

i don't fire any craccked cases i figure better safe then sorry and the pulled bullets can always be reloaded into new cartridges or sold of if you don't reload
7.9 definetly sounds like 8mm ammo the mosin uses 7.62