http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What does FPJ mean?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Was looking at Prvi's 7.62 Nagant ammo - the box says it's FPJ. I think that means Full Profile Jacket - I know what FMJ is, but what defines a round as being FPJ?

Looking for: Lithgow SMLEs, Tula M38, Tikka M39, IBM M1 carbine, US Navy S&W Victory revolver.

Post subject: Re: What does FPJ mean?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Flat Point Jacketed?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:37 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Yes it means Flat point jacketed.

7.62 nagant like .40 S&W and .357 sig use flat point bullets for the most part. I think it is meant to differentiate from FMJ which usually is a round nose bullet in handgun ammo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:30 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

That makes a lot more sense, thanks.

Looking for: Lithgow SMLEs, Tula M38, Tikka M39, IBM M1 carbine, US Navy S&W Victory revolver.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:12 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

My Nephew bought some Flat Point Jacketed bullet .38 Special ammo years back, first time I'd seen those.
I looked them up and found they had been developed for Law Enforcement as a way to get around the stigma of using hollow point bullets on people.
The Bullets were designed to expand but do so while not tearing open the jacket so the wound would at least have few fragments going off in every direction, or bits of lead remaining to cause further problems.
I have some Flat Point jacketed .22 Magnum ammo, haven't tested its expansion if any but I've been told these do expand in the same way as the .38 ammo, with less likelyhood of lead contamination of the meat of game animals.

Military spec Nagant pistol ammo would be expected to be jacketed to avoid violation of the Hague conventions, a flat point is a grey area when it comes to handgun calibers, the original Luger ammo used a flat point truncated cone bullet.
The Germans once threatened to execute any US MP captured with lead bullet ammo in his .38 revolver or buck shot loaded shotguns though Germans used shotguns as well on a very limited basis, which may have led to MPs carrying captured MP40 SMGs in France, I've seen several photos of US MPs carrying the MP40 during mop up of NAZI sympathezers and German hold outs in Paris.

Any way flat points generally allow for a bit more weight for the length of the bullet.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:26 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I have a box of 9mm FPJ 147 grain bullets...American Eagle brand, If I recall correctly.
They now advertise it as FMJ FP, guess it was confusing? :wink: