http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Yugo 7.9 mm Metak
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I have 250 rounds of of the above stamped NNY & 1982 on links, cannot remember where I bought it from, question, is this stuff corrosive and is it reloadable, berdan primed ?

Tx,
Joe

Post subject: Re: Yugo 7.9 mm Metak
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:37 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Joe4711 wrote:
I have 250 rounds of of the above stamped NNY & 1982 on links, cannot remember where I bought it from, question, is this stuff corrosive and is it reloadable, berdan primed ?
Tx,
Joe

Maybe, Maybe, Yes. It is possibly corrosive, possibly not. I haven't heard anything definitive. It is possibly reloadable, as long as it is brass. It is definitely berdan primed, which makes the reloadable question a question. Can you find berdan primers, and do you want to go to all the trouble reloading berdan cases when boxer cases are easily available.

Then said Jesus unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36

Remember: June 27 is 2nd Amendment Day June 27-July 4 is Freedom Week

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:51 pm 
I concur with all that Jardows has said, except to add that the 1982 Yugo (Metak) ammo IS corrosive. It is, however, the best (most consistent and accurate) of the Yugo 8mm ammo which I have tried. Eventhough linked for the Yugoslav-built version of the M1919 machine gun, this ammo is loaded to the same specs as any of the other Yugo 8mm ammo. So, don't be afraid that it might be loaded too hot for your rifle....this isn't true.

As for reloading the brass, why bother ? The expense and difficulty of finding Berdan primers....as well as the relative PITA nature of decapping Berdan-primed cases....makes it not worth the effort, in my view.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:06 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Corrosive and Berdan primed.
I have some 70's Yugo and it functions great and is accurate

A mans gotta do something for a living these days.

Diein's not much of a livin boy

(Clint Eastwood- Outlaw Josey Wales)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:56 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Treat all surplus ammo as corrosive unless you know for a fact it is not (Lake City and HXP come to mind). Sellers will often tell you ammo is not corrosive, when, in fact, it is (A seller tried to tell me Hungarian silver tip 7.62x54r was noncorrosive and boxer primed - I paid $5 more from the guy a few aisles over who didn't lie about it).