http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:47 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I recently picked up a can of this stuff at my favorite gun shop to use in my new (to me) Ishapore 2A. So far I've tried to fire about 6 rounds of it and none of them have gone off. The primer strikes appear to be deep enough so I'm thinking that I have a can of bad ammo. However, I don't have any other rifles chambered in 7.62x51 so I don't know if the problem is with the ammo or the rifle. The rifle does headspace, the firing pin is intact and I've replaced the firing pin spring.

This ammo has MAL headstamps and it is Malaysian surplus, supposedly made to NATO spec. It has a spherical powder and the cases are berdan primed. The primers will go off if I heat them up with a blowtorch (yes, I pulled the bullet and dumped the powder before doing that!).

Just wondering if anyone else has shot this stuff and if so did you have problems with it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:11 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

can you take it back to the shop that sold it to ya and exchange it for another can,or have him try it in one of his guns? i have never fired any of the Malaysian stuff out of my PTR 91, but if 6 of 6 were not going off then its either the gun or the ammo,and the ammo is easier to change. has the gun fired any other ammo since you received it?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Did the ammo can have a taped or wire/lead seal? If it was original packing, you would likely hear air sucking into the can when you opened it. If it were opened before you got them most likely the ammo was repacked. Malaysia is very humid and the ammo could have been stored like the .303 everyone dislikes. Did ya try burning the powder after you poured it out? It should burn very quickly and completely. If it don't, moisture damage is likely. Of course you need to try some other ammo to rule out your rifle.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:11 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

daengmei wrote:
Of course you need to try some other ammo to rule out your rifle.

Doh! I never thought of that. :thumb:

Or, better yet, buy yet another rifle. "Gee Honey, I really need to buy an M1A to see if that surplus Malaysian ammo I bought is bad or if it's the $150 Indian rifle I bought a few weeks ago."

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:10 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Just wait till your older and see how the thinking gets, lol. #-o

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:19 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Jbrower, any chance I can get some of your empty or full boxes? The can should have 20 and 40 round boxes. A friend of mine collects everything 7.62 Nato, and I know he's looking for those boxes. Full is OK, but empty is easier and cheaper to send.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I bought several cans of Malaysian from Sportsmans guide a couple years back. It was linked.
Clean ammo, hand no trouble with it. Fired it in my M1A and FR8.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:50 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Turns out it was my rifle not the ammo. I guess that my Ishy is one of those which was assembled from parts bins a few years ago and they screwed-on a bolt head which was too long for the striker. I ground-off a couple thousandths of an inch of the rear-end of the bolt head and now everything is working just fine.