http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 7:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

I hope I am using the correct term here. I believe the term 'headstamp' refers to the letters/numbers/info stamped around the primer on ammunition. At any rate I recently purchased an 8mm M24/47 rifle. I know very little about the ammo though. I have 4 types of 8mm ammo I would like more info on. I know it all is likely corrosive. If any of you can help with this I would appreciate it VERY much. I mostly am trying to figure out the bullet weight.

Type 1- It is Turkish FMJ, other than that I know nothing. The headstamp says "1947/FS/7.9/T (some sort of symbol) C" What is it and what is the bullet weight and velocity?

Type 2- Romanian?? FMJ and simply says "22 72" and is dark and enameled or some other coating. Again what is it and what is the bullet's weight and velocity?

Type 3- Belgian/Equadorian?? Softpoint and says "40 F N". I think it maybe Finnish but I can be wrong here. What is it and what is the bullet weight and velocity?

Type 4- I know it's Yugo but other than that...?? FMJ and says "11 star symbol 52 star symbol". What is it and again what is the bullet weight and velocity?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:58 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I can't help with the weights and speeds, but your IDs are almost 100%
Type 1 is Turkish.
Type 2 is Romanian.
Type 3 is Belgian, at least the case is.
Type 4 is Yugoslavian.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 11:51 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Turk is 154gr
Romanian is 154gr
Not sure on the Belgian
Yugo is 196gr
-Dan