http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:20 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Picked up a box of Egyptian 8mm today at the fun show, $6 for 20rds, figured I could try it out, what the heck.

Anyone shot this stuff, any good?? accurate, hot, I know it all dirty.....

I picked up a bandoleer of what I thought was all East German 8mm, but turns out, most is Turk #-o , but I have a clip or two of the East German, anyone seen the East German stuff?? This is brass case has a 4 and the 7.9 and 1951 date....

I also seen some boxes of East German steel case 8mm. Don't remember date or headstamp, but at $7 for 15rds I let it go...

Any info on this stuff guys?? If it extra special, I guess I could go back.....

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:00 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I'm not sure what you have, but that's not an East German headstamp, and I haven't seen any Egyptian 7.92 packed in 20 round boxes. Can you post any pics or better full headstamp descriptions?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

OK, I got a pic of the Egyptian 8mm:

Guy said it was made for the Hakim originally, and that he had shot it in his Hakim, but he sold it, so he was selling the ammo. Had a .50 cal can full in 20rnd boxes that were not marked, the normal mil pasteboard boxes. The way the boxes were falling apart the box was original.

The other ammo, I can't get a headstamp shot of, as it is lightly stamped, has a 1951, "x", 7.92, and a square inside a circle, and a 4.

copper colored primer, and Black primer sealent.

Hope this helps.

Is there anything special about this stuff, had plenty, could get more...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:30 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

OK, that is Egyptian, first I've seen in 20 round boxes. Most of the Egyptian I've fired over the past year or so has been about 33% click...bang, but fairly accurate when it works right.
Your other ammo is Korean War vintage Chinese.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:27 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

jonnyc wrote:
OK, that is Egyptian, first I've seen in 20 round boxes. Most of the Egyptian I've fired over the past year or so has been about 33% click...bang, but fairly accurate when it works right.
Your other ammo is Korean War vintage Chinese.

Korean war vintage Chinese?? Wow, never even heard of that ammo before...... How plentiful is that stuff.... If I recall, they had it in bandoleers, on strippers, blue colored bandos to be exact. I'm not going to shoot that stuff then, kinda historical :thumb:

So, what would EG 8mm look like?? I did look at some 15rd boxes of steel cased that was labeled EG 8mm...... I then seen the ammo can on the table with the blue bando's in it, it was labeled EG also it was brass cased, and was the Chinese stuff I have now.... I picked up a blue bando that was on the table, and bought it, turns out the majority of it was Turk, but I've only seen Turk in tan/od bandos..... So either they had Chinese surp, in bandos, or Turk bandos with Chinese mixed in.

I love mixed lots :lol:

What was the give away on the Chinese stuff??

Also, in a not related matter, I seen 50rd boxes of Iraqi made .303 How accurate a description is that?? Were they full of crap?? $30 for 50rds, sounded a little to rich :?

I kinda like picking old boxes of ammo, never know what it is :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

The square-in-circle is a typical Chinese headstamp. East German would have an 04, and all I've seen here in the US is gray laquered steel.
Iraqi .303 is total crap, don't wast your money, unless you want a round or two to collect.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:44 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I see, the East German I seen I believe had a a 04 on it, and was steel lacquered so.... I could see why they may have thought the the stuff I bought was EG, since it has a 4 but not a 04.... I figured Iraqi .303 was junk, never seen anything good come from that craphole :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:39 pm 
Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator

Last Egyptian 8mm I had was magic target ammo.
Whenever you aimed and fired that ammo at a target, the holes would magicly heal like nothing ever happend to the paper.
Who knows where it went, never even saw dust on the berm.
(Lots of noise and recoil ZERO accuracy)

The Romainian 8mm I had at the same time was not magic.
It would just tear the paper up.

U.S.N. Retired 1985-2005

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Burner wrote:
Last Egyptian 8mm I had was magic target ammo.
Whenever you aimed and fired that ammo at a target, the holes would magicly heal like nothing ever happend to the paper.
Who knows where it went, never even saw dust on the berm.
(Lots of noise and recoil ZERO accuracy)

The Romainian 8mm I had at the same time was not magic.
It would just tear the paper up.

:lol: well, at least it went bang!

Never know what you'll get at the fun shows, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. Oh well, it'll be good fun :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:24 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

joe7170 wrote:
Never know what you'll get at the fun shows, sometimes you win sometimes you lose. Oh well, it'll be good fun :thumb:

What show did you go to, was it up your way? I went to the Dale City, Va. show this morning and I read where there was one in Winchester, Va.

I scored a nice matching 1951 RFI .303 Enfield and some Enfield accessories in a trade at Dale City.

The only Egyptian ammo I've used was 9mm bought back in the 80s. It was very dirty, corrosive, but also very accurate out of the 9mm Chi-Com Tok and MAC-9 I had at the time. Great blasting ammo. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:13 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

1srelluc wrote:
joe7170 wrote:

What show did you go to, was it up your way? I went to the Dale City, Va. show this morning and I read where there was one in Winchester, Va.

I scored a nice matching 1951 RFI .303 Enfield and some Enfield accessories in a trade at Dale City.

The only Egyptian ammo I've used was 9mm bought back in the 80s. It was very dirty, corrosive, but also very accurate out of the 9mm Chi-Com Tok and MAC-9 I had at the time. Great blasting ammo. :lol:

Oh, it was a local show here, Buckhannon WV. I've never went more than 2hrs away to a show, never found anything worth the gas to drive that far. I know you fellas in VA, have some good shows, problem is when I'm over there, once in a blue moon in the summer it's not fun show season #-o That and you always buy everything at the darn flea market in Front Royal!! :x I'll beat you one day..... :thumb: logistics, that's the problem :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:16 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I would steer clear of the E. German 8mm mauser unless you just want some for your collection. I have only shot one round out of the handful I had, but noticed excessive recoil and had a hard time opening the bolt on the K98 that I shot it out of. After I got home from shooting I pulled the bullet on a few and noticed that some of them had formed rust internally on the steel case which had contaminated the powder and caused the bullet jacket to rust to the case as well. That is what I figured caused the excessive pressure I noticed on the round I had fired. Fortunately, no damage was done and a lesson was learned.

FWIW-
Allen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:11 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

The Egyptian i had was in 70 round boxes and it was crap!!! if it did fire it was a hang fire!!! the east german steel cased stuff always went off but was hard recoil and the casing had a hole burned through on the side by the rim. I put it all way for the bullets when i do think about reloading.