http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

A few days ago I was surfing the net reading about reloading for .577 Snider. In my searching I found an interesting suggestion. Because brass for .577 is pretty expensive it seems that some people use 24 gauge hulls in place of brass casings. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I thought it was a rather neat, and notably cheaper alternative.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:10 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Yep this is a very common practice, from what i hear it can take a little bit of practice to get it right but in the end it is still the cheapest option.

Somebody holds the key.
But Im near the end and I just aint got the time
And Im wasted and I can't find my way home

~Blind Faith 1969~

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:11 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Yes, this is commonly done. Actually it's pretty easy to turn 24ga brass hulls into 577 Snider, much easier than forming 577/450 from them. You need to trim the brass back a bit (I use a tube cutter) then run it up into your press (slowly, with lots of sizing lube) as there is a slight taper to the 577 case.

The trick is finding the 24ga brass. It's around but it seems that a lot of the Martini and Snider shooters are gobbling it up where they can.

I've also tried regular 24ga plastic hulls but did not have good results. I loaded them with about 60 grains of FFg and a 58cal minie. Obviously there was no way to apply any kind of crimp, so there was a lack of compression, and a lot of fouling and crappy accuracy. The BP burned little holes through the plastic hulls too. Now I've got about 90 24ga primed plastic shotgun hulls taking up space in my man cave.