http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 6.5x53.5R Daudeteau
PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:56 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Greetings!
I just tested some handloads I made for my Dovitis Mauser conversion. I used a 140 grain Lyman cast bullet, with a gas check, sized to .265" (they actually measured .266") and 16 grains of IMR 4198 powder. I seated the bullets to the crimping groove with just enough crimp to remove the flare from the case mouth. The brass is from Buffalo Arms and is formed from 45-70 cases with the rim intact for proper extraction from the Mauser rifle. Primers looked fine and there was a little bit of soot, just on the case necks. I need to do some shooting off a sandbag to see just how well these bullets perform. As data for this cartridge is sketchy, I used 6.5x54 MS data to start with. I compared dimensions between the Daudeteau case and a 6.5x54R case, which is basically a rimmed version of the MS case. Bore dimensions play a big part in its performance, as they can vary. I have a drawing that shows the groove diameter at .265" (if my conversion is right!) and original jacketed bullet diameter at .259", which makes it a 'bore rider'. Cheers!

USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island

Last edited by Roundsworth on Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: 6.5x53.5R Daudeteau
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

It is good to see that my post attracted some attention! The Daudeteau cartridge is unique and needs updating, in regards to load data, that is. My next major accessory purchase will be a chronograph. I have a few oddball calibers that I load for and would really like to know 'where I am at' with them. Cheers!

USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:56 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I just picked one up and it slugs .250/.267, I'm going to try I using .264 Amax and see how it shoots, with my standard load of 25 grains of 5744 for cases of this size.

I've had good luck sometimes in older guns with deep grooves with slightly udersized bullets, well see.

Frank

Vintage Military Match results and info at: oldrustyguns.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:25 am 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I tried this load at 100 yards and got a 2" group with iron sights for 4 shots. I think it will do better, as I had a lot of glare on the sights and I was having to hold near the bottom of the target paper to get centered hits, so I didn't have a very precise aiming point. Recoil was very mild. Will try it at 200 next week.

I also had just a bit of soot on the case necks, extraction was very easy. A few cases were a bit snug at the base when closing the bolt didn't cause any problems. I'm still waiting for my dies to see if sizing them helps a bit. I just used my 6.5 swede seater to seat teh bullets out so that the base was even with the bottom of the neck to give consistent neck tension with the 140 amax bullets.

Frank

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:23 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Great! The load sounds promising. My first batch of formed brass from Buffalo Arms would not chamber fully. The shoulder needed to be set back a few thousandths. I talked to the folks at BA and they said that the RCBS die they used was not setting the shoulder back. They sent some brass made with CH dies that worked perfectly. I wanted to clear up the issue before I bought the dies.

USS Boxer
NAS Whidbey Island

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 6:27 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

Ok, that may explain why a few were just a bit snug closing the bolt, once fireformed, I think they will be fine with just neck sizing..or I'll have to grind off the bottom of the rcbs dies I have coming(they were used anyway) to push the shoulder just a bit.

Frank

Roundsworth wrote:
Great! The load sounds promising. My first batch of formed brass from Buffalo Arms would not chamber fully. The shoulder needed to be set back a few thousandths. I talked to the folks at BA and they said that the RCBS die they used was not setting the shoulder back. They sent some brass made with CH dies that worked perfectly. I wanted to clear up the issue before I bought the dies.