http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Reloading Equipment
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:53 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

For a few years now I've been thinking of getting into reloading so I could have military loads for my firearms. But now I am being serious now and want to know what kind of equipment I should be looking at for a beginner?

The rounds that I will be reloading are the 7.62x38 (Nagant Revolver) and 8x56R. I could reload 7.62x54R but surplus is still cheap for them.

In the end I am wondering what kind of gear would I need and what brands and models I should be looking for.

1) '15 L.C. Smith Damacus 12ga 2) '19 M95/34 Steyr Carbine 3) '20 M95 Steyr Carbine 4) '36 M1895 Nagant 5) '39 M91/30 6) '45-55 Richardson & Harrington Pioneer 7) '54 Cz vz.52 8) '56 Type 56 SKS 9) '81 Marlin Glenfield Mod 60 10) 2010 Citadel 1911A-1

Post subject: Re: Reloading Equipment
PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:31 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

If you're just starting, the best investment is most likely a single-stage press. All the big makers have a beginner's kit that will include at minimum a press, scales, case prep tools, and powder measure. Most all presses use the same thread size, so don't worry too much about having to stick with the same manufacturer for dies and press. (unless and until you go to the auto-loading upgrades)
I prefer the RCBS Rockchucker or Partner press, but Lyman, Redding, and Hornady all make a great product. I don't like the Lee products, but many people do like them. If it works for you, it is probably the most economical buy.

Oh yeah, be sure to get SEVERAL loading manuals!

http://www.cabelas.com/reloading-rcbs-rc-supreme-master-kit.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03362919&rid=40&mr:trackingCode=F96B2FC4-6BB6-E111-8DC4-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=15968065584&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=22731164064

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I am on my first and according to the doctors my last reloading press and equipment. I bought the Lee four hole turret press and kit. I did not like the scale and bought an RCBS scale.
I have loaded a few thousand rounds on it, both rifle and pistol. It is a good deal for the money. It is not a Dillion, but I could not afford or did not want to spend that much money, not knowing if I would want to continue to load.
I load every thing from from 9mm lugar to 3006. It takes a while to learn not to kill the little plastic thing in the press that makes it ratchet. but replacements are dirt cheep.
If you can afford it go with the high dollar stuff, if not you might want to look at the Lee stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:18 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

A 'kit' is a good way to start, get the best you can afford and as you get started you're sure to upgrade a piece here and a part there. But the kit will get you off on the right foot. I like the Rock Chucker, I think they have a supreme starter kit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:34 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I started with a Lee single stage and it worked OK, used it for almost 10 years.
Wanted something better so I upgraded to an RCBS Rockchucker for Rifle and a Dillon
550 for all the pistol calibers. If you reload a lot you will probably want something
better than the Lee, although it does work.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:26 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Thanks for all the replies. I will look into the different starter kits that was mentioned. At the moment I am looking on the cheaper side to start off with. Will be quite a bit of trial and error on my part and I dont want to start off getting the most expensive stuff and then have to buy something to replace it cause its just not working for me.

1) '15 L.C. Smith Damacus 12ga 2) '19 M95/34 Steyr Carbine 3) '20 M95 Steyr Carbine 4) '36 M1895 Nagant 5) '39 M91/30 6) '45-55 Richardson & Harrington Pioneer 7) '54 Cz vz.52 8) '56 Type 56 SKS 9) '81 Marlin Glenfield Mod 60 10) 2010 Citadel 1911A-1

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I bought the Lee challenger set to start out with and I can honestly say I have no real complaints. It functions fine. I'm not a big fan of the scale so I teplaced it with a $27 hornaday digital scale that I like much better. As far as the rest of the kit I am very satisfied. Hope this helps some.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:05 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Shootnmathews wrote:
I bought the Lee challenger set to start out with and I can honestly say I have no real complaints. It functions fine. I'm not a big fan of the scale so I teplaced it with a $27 hornaday digital scale that I like much better. As far as the rest of the kit I am very satisfied. Hope this helps some.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/121744/lee-challenger-breech-lock-single-stage-press-kit

That one looks pretty good and its cheaper than the ones Ive been looking at.

I spent about 20 minutes going through what Brownell`s had for reloading kits and they have ones ranging from $100 on up to $1,000.

The problem I think I will run into is not picking out a nice decent reloading set, but I think my problem will be finding military load specs for the 7.62x38 and 8x56R. Only reason I am looking at getting into reloading is to duplicate the military loads since the ammo is either too expensive or hard to find.

I will also have to get some dies for .45acp I got about 200 spent casings that I picked up cause I wasnt about to let the gun range have them to sell to reloaders.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:12 am 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I started reloading specifically the 8 x 56r and then grew to other calibers as I got more in to reloading. With this caliber you just google and get some powders and charges that others are using since it's a little obscure Ive been told you don't find it in many of the manuals.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:02 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

I've been using the basic Lee stuff (single-stage press, Zip trim, Lee dies and case length guide) for years now and no complaints or failures. the RCBS Loadmaster scale / measure is a great addition too.
Jeff

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:14 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I use basically anything with Lee on it besides my digital scale and caliper. Only problems I have ever had is when I had to use RCBS dies.

My Collection so far:
http://surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic. ... 3&t=109802

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:31 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Check out this old link RCBS JR press, Consider the old timer it will out last you. some good info here to ponder.

viewtopic.php?f=78&t=67720&hilit=+reloading&start=15

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:45 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

I hear so many people talk about the lee stuff like its junk, but I can say nothing bad about any of it. The lee safety scale is not the best scale out there but it does work. The rest of my lee stuff all works flawlessly. I hear complaints that the dies suck and all that, but mine resize perfectly and have near 0 runout when I seat bullets. Which was the biggest thing I hear complaints about.

Granted I only reload two calibers at the moment but my 243 shoots less than .5 MOA, usually around .3 if I'm on my game. And my mosin shoots .5-.6 MOA right now. How can I knock my Lee stuff with those results

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:54 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

On line photo of an RCBS JR PRESS one tough press that you can find at flee markets or gun shows approx. $50 :thumb: You will love it unless you load more than 200 at a time .... then you got to go big bucks :shock:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=rcbs+j ... al&fr=moz2