Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Spurs and the Great West

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: Spurs

#226 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:22 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parelli_N ... rsemanship
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I think this is kinda funny, how spurs can have so much history in Horsemanship when in reality they should have had no use at all. They were just part of a ‘UNIFORM’ of the times.
When I was a kid we had more than a dozen different horses, but usually not more than two at a time. When we first moved here to Pagosa my wife worked here for Pat Parelli for a while.
Pat Parelli is a real Horseman. He use to have a plane and fly between rodeos just to get in more action..and money.
He has two training facilities, the one here and one in Florida. I don’t know if he has more than these now. Most of his students come from outside the country, around the world.

LATER ---I know, you are thinking this is ridiculous...the whole world can’t be wrong. His biggest class room is here in Pagosa and he has classes every work day - Indoor for the winter. There is a waiting list for his classes. And yes he is criticized for his exorbitant fees for these classes. And Pat has merely just reworded all other basic horsemanship into a glib way. He could have been a successful car salesman. or... politician. What some may call exorbitant fees are just fun and interesting things with other’s hobbies and interests. People will come from all points of the world here for a three day class and pay 2,500 or three thousand to be shown some videos and listen to an instructor. Or pay maybe 10 K for a week. When my wife used to work at the outdoor training facility, a few times I would watch.

It is the same way with any type of school or leaning – one may take a life time at it or pay for some quicker way. As to what I say about spurs being part of a ‘uniform’, this is simple – Spurs are merely used, or properly used, to put some pressure on the side of horse to tell it to move to the left or right when it is standing still or moving backwards. When the horse is moving forward this is done with the reins but this doesn’t work with a horse when it is moving backwards. And when it is standing still and the reins are used, it is hard to tell the horse that you mean it to be in ‘forward’ or ‘reverse’. I can think of one way if the horse is smart enough, and that may be to use the reins and back pressure at the same time. Ones feet or heals can be used instead of spurs . One will not usually see a Jockey in a horse race using spurs.

And when I played with a horse when I was a kid I never had a pair of spurs or a bridle with a ‘bit’. If someone tells you that a bit is needed, they just don’t know what a ‘Hackamore’ horse is. I could qualify this by saying, only if one doesn’t have the time or want to take the time to train the horse to be a ‘Hackamore’ horse, they will use the bit.

Please don’t take this as me trying to say that this is ‘any more’ than just my most humble opinion. Heck, everyone has to have opinions.

My gosh...here are more than few You Tubes on Hackamore horses. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ha ... &FORM=VDRE
I see some in here by Pat Perelli.

Question - Are there any horseman here that will agree with me?
NRA LIFE MEMBER

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#227 Post by nrobertb » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:01 pm

Another famous bucking horse was War Paint, whose parents were a quarter horse stud and a wild pinto mare. In two decades on the rodeo circuit he had a 90 per cent buck off rate, usually unloading his rider on the first three jumps. He died in 1975 and today can be seen in the Pendleton (Oregon) Round-Up Museum.
Attachments
WarPaint2-300x251.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#228 Post by nrobertb » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:18 pm

Khadafy Skoal was the odd name of a famous bucker. He was originally intended to be a racehorse but kept bucking the jockey off. He just hated to be ridden. In the photo he is sending Bruce Ford skyward in 1989. After each buckoff he would make a victory lap of the arena, head and tail held high, as the fans cheered.
Attachments
Khadafy Skoal.jpg

ffuries
United States of America

#229 Post by ffuries » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:57 pm

nrobertb wrote:
Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:01 pm
Another famous bucking horse was War Paint, whose parents were a quarter horse stud and a wild pinto mare. In two decades on the rodeo circuit he had a 90 per cent buck off rate, usually unloading his rider on the first three jumps. He died in 1975 and today can be seen in the Pendleton (Oregon) Round-Up Museum.
This horse seems to have wide/thick head/face/nose, is that from the Quarter Horse or Wild Pinto side? I've never seen a horse outside of Belgium work horses, Clydesdales etc with thick heads/noses. Just seems unusually large, could be the angle.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#230 Post by nrobertb » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:10 pm

I really can't say. I'm not an expert on horse breeds. Here are two more photos. He does seem to have a large head.
Attachments
war paint 2.jpeg
war paint 2.jpeg (12.34 KiB) Viewed 756 times
War Paint 1.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#231 Post by nrobertb » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 am

Here is a diagram of a leverage type bit. The slobber chains are intended to transfer pressure from the reins more easily. Sometimes they are on one set of rings or the other, or both.
Attachments
bit-diagram.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#232 Post by nrobertb » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:00 am

Here's a pair of North & Judd bronc riding spurs. The rowels can be changed.
Attachments
North&Judd5.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#233 Post by nrobertb » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:31 pm

The last great landmark in New Mexico was Wagon Mound, where the Cimarron Cutoff joined the mountain branch of the Santa Fe Trail. From here travelers could head either to Fort Union or Santa Fe. It is now a National Historic Landmark.
Attachments
Wagon_Mound.JPG

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#234 Post by nrobertb » Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:35 pm

Here is another pair of spurs with the Texas lone star in profusion.
Attachments
Gist1.jpg
Gist1.jpg (42.15 KiB) Viewed 718 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#235 Post by nrobertb » Wed Apr 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Another type of trail in the old west was the cattle drive, as ranchers in Texas moved their herds north to markets in Kansas, New Mexico and Colorado. One of the best known was pioneered by Charles Goodnight and Oliver Loving, the westernmost trail shown on the map. In 1867 Loving and a companion were jumped by Comanches and escaped by hiding in a cave in the bank of the Pecos River near the present day town of Carlsbad. Loving was hit in the leg by an arrow and refusing amputation, died of blood poisoning. This event was portrayed in the movie "Lonesome Dove".
Attachments
Cattle-trails.jpg
Lonsome.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#236 Post by nrobertb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:04 pm

The plains south of Carlsbad are underlain by gypsum rock, which is honeycombed with caves. They are called the Parks Ranch System and are on public land, so you can visit them. 4.3 miles of passage have been mapped, with multiple entrances. The photo is of a typical passage, perhaps similar to the one where Oliver Loving hid from the Comanches.
Attachments
parks.jpg
parks.jpg (56.56 KiB) Viewed 711 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#237 Post by nrobertb » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:58 pm

A pair of Crockett bronc spurs.
Attachments
Crock18.jpg
Crock18.jpg (13.61 KiB) Viewed 707 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#238 Post by nrobertb » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:25 am

When I started this thread back in December I never dreamed it would go this far. Many thanks to everyone who has participated. I feel that I've covered everything I wanted to say, so I am closing it down and I'll ride off into the sunset. As they say out west...adios!
Attachments
sunset.jpg

ffuries
United States of America

#239 Post by ffuries » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:09 pm

nrobertb wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:25 am
When I started this thread back in December I never dreamed it would go this far. Many thanks to everyone who has participated. I feel that I've covered everything I wanted to say, so I am closing it down and I'll ride off into the sunset. As they say out west...adios!
This thread was an interesting and educational read to say the least. Everyday I would check to see what was new, and what interesting fact would be shared. Shame for it to end, but all good things come to an end I guess.

Thank you very much for sharing your passion, knowlwdge, and interesting factoids with us. You might need to start a new one.

Happy Trails............
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#240 Post by nrobertb » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:54 pm

Oh my gosh, people keep viewing this thread and I just can't help myself. A pair of award spurs by Larry Abbott of Dickens, Texas.
Attachments
larryabbott.jpg
larryabbott.jpg (11.56 KiB) Viewed 649 times

Return to “General Off Topic”