Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Spurs and the Great West

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: Spurs and the Great West

#646 Post by nrobertb » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:39 pm

After he finished Wagon Train, Robert Horton went on to A Man Called Shenandoah, which ran 1965-66. A man shot and left for dead on the trail is found and revived. He has no recollection of his past and, calling himself Shenandoah, roams the West in search of his identity.
Attachments
d.jpg
d.jpg (22.39 KiB) Viewed 481 times
man2.jpg
man2.jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 481 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#647 Post by nrobertb » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:23 pm

San Felipe Pueblo (Eastern Keres: Katishtya [kʰɑtʰiʂcʰɑ], Navajo Tsédááʼkin) is a census-designated place in Sandoval County, New Mexico, and is located 10 miles north of Bernalillo. As of the 2000 census, the CDP population was 2,080. It is part of the Albuquerque Metropolitan Statistical Area. The Pueblo, founded in 1706, comprises Native Americans who speak an eastern dialect of the Keresan languages.

The Pueblo celebrates the annual Feast of St. Philip on May 1, when hundreds of pueblo people participate in traditional corn dances.
Attachments
San_Felip.jpg
San Felipe2.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#648 Post by nrobertb » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:23 pm

This Navajo silver and turquoise ring from Eagle Rock Trading Post in Texas is a revival of a style that was popular in the 1950's.
Attachments
ring.jpg
ring.jpg (18.04 KiB) Viewed 448 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#649 Post by nrobertb » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Younger readers are familiar with the plot of The Wild Wild West because of the 1999 movie with Will Smith, but before that came the TV series than ran from 1965-69.
Two Secret Service Agents, equipped with a wide array of gizmos, work for the government in the Old West. This show starred Robert Conrad and Ross Martin and was part western, part fantasy, part science fiction. They were always confronting some megalomaniac who was plotting to create a new world order and of course there was always a beautiful henchwoman involved. Conrad handled the action and romance while Martin was a master of disguises and dialects.

Conrad was in several subsequent series such as Jesse Hawkes and High Sierra Rescue. Martin was later in Hawaii Five-O and died in 1981.
Attachments
wild.jpeg
wild.jpeg (11.7 KiB) Viewed 441 times
west2.jpg

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#650 Post by nrobertb » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:57 am

I've saved Gunsmoke, the king of them all, for last. Who would have thought that a western series would last for 20 years, from 1955-75? I think this review from IMDb pretty well sums it up.

In black and white or in color it was consistently good, in large part, due to its talented cast. Originally John Wayne was offered the part but felt TV was not his cup of tea. He recommended a tall, good looking James Arness to play Matt Dillon and the rest is history. For the first 9 years, Dennis Weaver played Matt's devoted friend and deputy. Amanda Blake was perfect in the role of Miss Kitty, who ran the local Dodge City saloon. Milburn Stone, a long time screen actor, was given the part of Doc Adams, an outspoken man with a heart of gold. Then there was Ken Curtis who played Festus Hagen, a lovable deputy who was an equal replacement for Dennis Weaver. For 20 years, Gunsmoke graced the television line up at CBS. It was a different western in that its scripts were often filled with emotional stories that developed its characters. It employed many of our finest actors in guest roles. Realistic filming in Thousand Oaks, Ca. and in southwest Utah added to its appeal.
Attachments
gunsmoke3.jpeg
gunsmoke3.jpeg (32.04 KiB) Viewed 433 times
gunsmoke2.jpg
gunsmoke2.jpg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 433 times
gunsmoke.jpg
gunsmoke.jpg (34.28 KiB) Viewed 433 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#651 Post by nrobertb » Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:02 am

Well folks, that ends my list of the 1950's and 60's classic westerns. If you know of any I missed, let me know. I've omitted shows like Sky King because it was set in the present, and Daniel Boone because it was set in the East.

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#652 Post by nrobertb » Sun Aug 12, 2018 6:43 pm

A pair of spurs by Danny Pollard of Merkel, TX.
Attachments
Pollard2.jpg
Pollard2.jpg (23.45 KiB) Viewed 425 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#653 Post by nrobertb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:39 am

Another pair by Danny Pollard.
Attachments
Pollard3.jpg
Pollard3.jpg (25.41 KiB) Viewed 411 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#654 Post by nrobertb » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:24 am

"Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in." No, that's not Michael Corleone speaking, it's me. Ffuries tipped me off to a comprehensive list of TV series. So far I'm only through the letter E and I've found 16 that weren't on my original list.

This could be a lifetime work, but I'll sprinkle them into the thread occasionally.

ffuries
United States of America

#655 Post by ffuries » Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:20 pm

nrobertb wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:24 am
"Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in." No, that's not Michael Corleone speaking, it's me. Ffuries tipped me off to a comprehensive list of TV series. So far I'm only through the letter E and I've found 16 that weren't on my original list.

This could be a lifetime work, but I'll sprinkle them into the thread occasionally.
Sorry, I'll go sit in the time out corner. Couldn't let this thread fade off into the sunset that easy.........
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#656 Post by nrobertb » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:46 pm

My computer is in for repair again so it may be a while before I post again.

indy1919a4
United States of America

#657 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:54 am

Gee I am having a bit or Old West with draw here.. Maybe we can all chip in a little and take a bit of the slack till nrobertb makes his return

The tale of the war Horse Comanche, one of the survivors of the Battle of the little Big Horn

http://www.horseandman.com/people-and-p ... 5/29/2016/

20050913-kunhm-comanche.jpg

indy1919a4
United States of America

#658 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:56 am

The man holding Comanche is Gustavo Korn, who had a heck of a ride. He was in I company , which was one of the 5 companies that rode with Custer.
C, I & L companies were to lead a faint towards the Indian village through Medicine tail coulee and take some of the Heat off of Reno. Korn's horse will take the bit in his teeth and when the 3 companies stopped at the Little Big Horn rivers edge, Korn and mount kept going. They went through the river and the Indian village up to Reno hill where his horse will drop dead. Korn will survive the battle but will be killed in 1890 at the Wounded knee battle.
Attachments
comanche_thumb.jpg
comanche_thumb.jpg (28.93 KiB) Viewed 313 times

nrobertb
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#659 Post by nrobertb » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:46 pm

Well, I'm back. Interesting story about Korn. I'd never heard it before and I don't remember seeing anything about him at the National Monument.

Pioneertown, California, is an unincorporated community of the Morongo Basin region of San Bernardino's High Desert. The historical town was originally incorporated in 1946 and fell into the hands of San Bernardino County in the late 1960s. The winding, 4-mile drive northwest to Pioneertown from Yucca Valley has been designated a California Scenic Drive and the area is now surrounded by privately and federally protected lands.

Actor Dick Curtis started up the town in 1946 as an 1880's themed live-in Old West living breathing motion-picture set. The town was designed to provide a place for production companies to enjoy while also using their businesses and homes in movies. Hundreds of Westerns and early television shows were filmed in Pioneertown, including The Cisco Kid and Edgar Buchanan's Judge Roy Bean.

Dick Curtis, Roy Rogers and Russell Hayden were some of the original developers and investors, and Gene Autry filmed every episode of his show at the six-lane Pioneer Bowl bowling alley. The Pioneer Bowl's construction was credited to Tommy Thompson in 1947 and Rogers himself rolled out the first ball in 1949. School-age children were hired as pinsetters until the installation of automatic pinsetting equipment in the 1950s. According to the Morongo Basin Historical Society, the bowling alley was one of the oldest in continuous use in California until they closed their doors for good in 2010.

In July of 2006, parts of Pioneertown were burned in the Sawtooth Complex fire, which also burned into Yucca Valley and Morongo Valley. Firefighters managed to save the historic movie-set buildings, but much of the surrounding desert habitat was damaged. Among the buildings saved was Pappy & Harriet's Pioneertown Palace, a longtime local club and landmark built within the town's original and only gas station, which counts among its regular patrons notable musicians, including Eric Burdon and Robert Plant of Led Zeppelin fame.

As Pioneertown is still a living breathing movie set, commercial production & photography is allowed.
Attachments
pioneer2.jpeg
pioneer.jpeg
pioneer.jpeg (15.89 KiB) Viewed 297 times

indy1919a4
United States of America

#660 Post by indy1919a4 » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:40 pm

nrobertb wrote:
Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:46 pm
Well, I'm back. Interesting story about Korn. I'd never heard it before and I don't remember seeing anything about him at the National Monument.

Korn did not promote his story like trumpeter Martini had for years. Plus his story never really comes out till after his death. His story is almost unreal
and amazing he lived. Renos attack had 2 troopers do the same thing and ride into the Indian Village at the start of the battle. And they were both killed.

https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/vie ... ext=facpub

What is amazing for me is there here is a man who saw the start of the middle of the battle and was never really called to officially testify. Or at least it was written down. Plus at the time of Korns life the official version of the Custers attack was that it was a quick rout and his account may have gone against that.

Return to “General Off Topic”