Recover old board posts?

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Re: Recover old board posts?

Post by 72 usmc »

A great idea, one photo that shows numerous views. A combination of 2-4 photos as one photo>
Re: Need help with Yugoslav K98 with 1.TRZ on the receiver
Report Quote
Post by nothernug » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:43 am

A bit off topic but, since the one poster above gave a tutorial about photo posting, I can add another little trick. With a limit of 5 images per post, combine images to get more into the mix.

For example, most people will post rifle photos one facing one way and another image facing opposite like this...
#1-
TR137 face R.jpg
TR137 face R
#2-
TR137 face L.jpg
TR137 face L
There's two images off your count. Instead of doing that, combine those two images into one. That shows exactly the same but would only count as 1 image. Here are #'s 1 & 2 combined into one;
TR137 face L & R.jpg
TR137 face L & R
Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 8.13.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 8.13.19 PM.png (670.48 KiB) Viewed 4441 times
You can do the same with your close ups...*
TR137 from sakorick IIIb.jpg
TR137 24/47 stamp locations
* The long shots are photos I took. The detail images however, were taken by a poster on Gunboards from whom I purchased the rifle. The comment embedded in the photo is his comment as well. I cannot confirm it personally but I can say finding the M24/47 designation on top of the receiver instead of the side is definitely the exception rather than the rule in location. So that seems to be, may be, exclusive to shop TR137 (TR= Tehnicki Remontni) It is simply a shortening of the more familiar "TRZ" stamp.

Finally, you can carry this combining of images to it's fullest by combining detail shots with long shots like this...
CXC rifle L & R w- crest & side rail.jpg
M1924 CXC rifle long shots L/R w/ crest & side rail shots
This combination is but 1 off your image count instead of the 3 or 4 they could have been. Also, keep in mind that the images you are large enough for most people to view comfortably, they are in fact thumbnails that can be enlarged to reveal more detail for those so inclined.
This rifle and photos are all mine.
Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 8.17.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 8.17.54 PM.png (770.88 KiB) Viewed 4440 times
A great idea that takes some work. There are apps and programs you can down load to do this. On a PC this may be easy. On a mac I will show you a way I can do this without added programs.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

On a Mac I can do this. Procedure removed due to loss of photos.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:59 am, edited 6 times in total.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Most can do this on a PC
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

Most use some sort of app or purchased photo program.
What we have is just another idea on how to post photos that contain many more smaller images within the 5 picture forum limit on the forum, this was presented by nothernug. There must be many more easy ways with a correct App or special PHOTO Edit program for photos on PCs or Macs that might make it more easy. Here is the original thought, see this old post: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... 222#p25222

Granted, this is sort of a back door method because I have no Mac Photo Edit programs that I purchased or down loaded.
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

For new members, you do not see the Classifieds till you meet a random number of posts. This section is shown near the bottom of the Forum page. Here is an example of what is seen taken on10 June 2020 of the entire FORUM page when you log in as a long term member. Non members do not see this entire page. Nor does a new member until a certain # of their posts are posted. The CLASSIFIEDS do not show up. However, all other headings are visible.

Now for new members, just stick around and keep posting and before long you will have the magic number and see the Classified section when you log in. This is done to keep scammers off the forum. This is a fantastic forum, not an auction house! New members, please be sure to be familiar with the FORUM rules: http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/app.php/rules

Here is an entire screen shot when you are logged in.I had to take screen shots in sections because the forum is a wealth of information headings.
1Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.01.31 AM.png
2Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.01.46 AM.png
3Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.02.02 AM.png
4Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.05.36 AM.png
5Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.05.57 AM.png
Last edited by 72 usmc on Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

A continuation to the above post edit Classifieds
If you do not log in you see this (lower photo) as a long time member and I think as a new member. The only difference is at the bottom. "Classifieds" do not view. You see "OFF TOPIC" then a jump to "SPONSORS & VENDORS". Non members can not post or reply. But on this great forum all can read & see all the pictures.
:idea: It is always best to become a member so you can share your comments, ask questions, or share your experience/knowledge on specific topics.
This is the view of the bottom of the forum if you are not logged in or do not have enough post to see the Classifieds:
6Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 10.08.50 AM.png

What Happen to my Photos?
New board, new host
Report Quote
Post by elricfate » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:36 pm

Hello everyone. I've done my damnedest to migrate the board from the old host to the new one. The new one doesn't have rate limiting like the old one did, so it should be pretty solid for awhile.

There may be some hiccups here and there, attachments that went away and need to be reuploaded, posts missing, etc. That's all remnants of the move and I apologize for the inconvenience, but I've learned more about the board's software in the last three days than I think I ever wanted to know.

I'm working on getting a couple more things back in place, we're at about half of the plugins I had previously, but the board is also running a new version of the software that's several versions more updated than the old version.
Post by 72 usmc » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:35 pm

While the attachments still exist in the files folder, there is no physical link back to the original file that was uploaded. There's no way for me to fix that. They will either need to be reuploaded by the original user, or will only forever exist on archive.org.

Elricfate, So let me try to understand the photo restoration problem. All of my photos since the new forum rebirth were posted through the forum method-- old server- no secondary sources like photo bucket. My pictures in for example, my post http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... f=8&t=2014 , about a Chinese Mosin are gone. Will they be restored or does each author need to replace the pictures in their posts. Does the restoration of photos depend on the manner or method they were posted- such as photo bucket, or other secondary source, or those post by the forum method?

All of mine were posted by the former SRF server method. There are saved on the forum server. I also saved posts on the Wayback and PDF of my posts on my computer so they do not get lost. My photos have disappeared. Do you kn
Re: New board, new host
Report Quote
Post by elricfate » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:01 pm

I am saying there are two different servers with two different software packages. The database is all that links the two together (sort of) - I moved the database to the new host, restored it and it's what we're running on. The problem is the files, which phpbb CHANGES WHEN THEY'RE UPLOADED TO THE FORUM to form a non-physical link to the original file. It's a safety feature.

Those non-physical links are broken - host to host - so while those files exist, the non-physical link that the forum uses does not. It's gone. Kaput. In effect, the files themselves are inaccessible from your perspective. I can GET to the files, but it's 5gb of data that I won't be relinking each and every one for.

This is only for those attachments uploaded to the forum directly, that were broken. Some remain some were not broken.

What this means...
Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 9.02.57 PM.png
As of 4 June 2020 the forum switched to new format and all photos have been lost. The Links work: EBay, Utube, part stores, and links to the other forums all transferred intact and work. However the photos saved on the forum by the forum method vanished. This is different from the Great Extinction of July 2017 where everything was gone--- even most of the archived photos on the Wayback Machine. This situation is different because most used Free Photo Bucket back then to save/post photos and those tons of photos were lost on the Wayback Machine and only the pictures saved by the forum method remained intact. This time it is different.
It is different because all of the photos saved on the old server by the forum method did not transfer and are gone. The links are broken and did not transfer. This time the Photo bucket or Imgur images photos remained because they are secondary hosts. In contrast it was the forum posted method photos saved on the server that were delinked. However, if the author or another member saved the post on the Wayback Machine all photos remain intact. No photos were lost in the Wayback archive. One has to use the URL to do a search and see if the post was saved. It would be nice if you would then post its direct link to the Wayback Machine so others do not have to do a search. Rather, they can see the post was saved and then use the direct link you provided to view the lost photos in that particular post.

So if the author SAVED his or her post on the on the WAYBACK MACHINE it remains intact with all photos at that location. This can be used to attempt to restore an original forum post that is missing its photos. Each page can be searched out by its URL to see if it is intact on the Wayback . Each page has to be searched by its individual URL

Just use the Wayback Machine. link https://archive.org/web/
If a post was saved by the author or a member that thought it important enough to save- it is archived!
Copy the SRF page "URL" and paste it into the Wayback Machine search/browse box. Hit search button and you will see new page with a year bar on the top and a calendar for that year appearing below the bar. Select the year and the calendar shows a highlighted circle for the correct save day on the calendar. Click on the highlighted circle and you see a box with a Date, snapshot, and blue code . Click again on the blue code. Up pops the old post. All pictures & information in the post are present & intact. Or if you are unlucky because no one saved an archived copy, it states there is no archive.

With time most of my forum pictures can be restored. I am correcting all of my well read posts with a high number of views first by providing direct links to the Wayback Machine so readers can see that the post was saved and can easily go to the post and read it on the archive. Then I am restoring the photos on the new server using photos I have on the Wayback archive, or in a PDF on my computer. I just pull then off and place each one in order on the desk top then transfer the archived photo to the new forum. I have to delete the old attachments so the missing photo box vanishes then re add the photos in the proper order. This takes about 1.5-2 hours if you have approximately 50-65 photos per page to restore. Some of the larger posts have 12-15 pages. That takes a lot of time to restore. If it's only one page, with a few photos lost, it goes quickly. I have noticed that the newly added photos pulled from the Wayback Machine no longer enlarge if clicked upon. But at least all the photos can be replaced at the same size. Others may have a better idea???

I have some posts that were not saved to the Wayback archive. But at least the photos are on my computer. I assume these will be good to go and enlarge when reposted on the forum. The problem is that it takes more time to search out the correct photo, find it, and replace it in the proper position. Sometimes I no longer remember what pictures were used without the Wayback archive or a PDF as a visual guide showing what photos were used and in what order they were attached on the longer posts :think: :think: :doh: :doh:

So lets start restoring our significant posts. Most like to see photos :dance: :dance:

72 usmc
Gun Junkie
Gun Junkie

Post by 72 usmc »

This sticky has been restored 13 June 2020. All photos are back and all 3 pages have been saved on the Wayback machine.

Return to “General Off Topic”