Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

TEST

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

TEST

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:29 pm

HI - This is OLDGUNNER....My computer, or me has been out of order for a month or so and this is just an attempt to get in a back door to the forum - don't even know if it will work. Some things work okay and others don't. I see where people have been trying to contact me, sorry. I don't know if the problem is at this end or not, probable is. I even reregistered as OLDGUNNER1 and this didn't help.
I'll keep trying.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

Re: TEST

#2 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:46 pm

Hi - I may be back on the air. somewhat...but I can't find my old spot.
RAMBLING # 6
Just for what is worth this new GAMO SWARM in .22 is something else – more than I expected. It virtually knocks the crap out of crows at 50 yards and less. I have three or so old air rifles and they are just toys. And it is accurate enough to hit a crow every time, not on the fly – I haven’t hit one yet on the fly. I bought it on eBay for 174.49, free shipping and no sales tax. Walmart wanted something like 249 plus tax.

Anyway the pros and cons: Sure seems good, real good with fit and function – surprised me with quality except for the scope. It sure will serve just fine except for optic quality...just the standard 15 $ scope. I put a 3-9 X 40 Charles Daily on it and now it’s a hum–dinger. It will make a good prairie dog gun...for me.

On Prairie Dogs – When I first moved here 24 years ago and saw the zillion Prairie Dogs I just blindly bought a Savage 110 .22-250 in heavy barrel...and so far I have not taken one shot with it at a Prairie Dog. Before it arrived I went out with my .222 and got off one shot. I then realized that all of these Prairie Dog shooting stories that I have read were creative-writing stories. Stories based on what some may think should be...and not what is. This is not uncommon but I didn’t know. One person wrote that for every Prairie Dog one sees above ground there is 10 below ground. Well I went to a 100 acre all open patch with 50 to 100 hundred in view just five miles from here, and took one shot with the .222 and every puppy went into a hole and after 15 or 20 minutes had not come out. Okay, I went back with a .218 Bee...same story – still too loud, no puppies. One day my son came by and I said we should just try a regular .22 at maybe 200 yards. And this we did...It just so happened we sat on an over-look of of small colony with 2 boxes of .22’s and my Winchester Model 63. After 45 minutes and the 2 boxes of .22’s we went down and counted maybe a dozen puppies. Unless someone knows of a different class of Prairie Dog, these puppies would just maybe move a couple of inches as we would miss them by a couple of inches. Around here there are many little patches of puppies with just maybe two or three mounds close to homes and this Gamo would do just fine for these.
And...these Gamos may be used in places where City Ordinances prohibit fire arm fire if one has enough space from one’s neighbor.

One day I noticed that the puppies had moved in around the parking lot of the Walmart in Durango, and then they were cleaned out.

Anywho...beware of creative writing as in BS...and paradigms.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#3 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sun Apr 28, 2019 1:53 pm

RAMBLING #7
THE DOCTOR IS IN (VET)
This is just another ‘for what it’s worth’.... There has been a a few cases of dog hind leg displeasa around here that have been treated successfully with hip replacements, but...I think that they are fairly expensive. And we have a 45 pound type dog that is highly susceptible to this malady. She just turned 14 years old, but here is the deal...About 4 years ago I noticed my wife taking some pill, it was Glucosamine MSM Complex and I asked what’s that for – oh is just something for joints...who knows if it works or not of course. And I said, “Hey if it is good enough for you why wouldn’t it be good enough for the dog. I cut a bunch of tablets in two and she has been crunching them up in the dogs breakfast every since.

Now a while back I noticed the second thing the dog does each morning is run a 40 yard dash and she really runs fast. Is she doing this just because she can and just loosen up or is she trying to show us she can – I know only a little bit of dog talk? One of her things that I think I know for sure is she will stand straight, shake her head and make a snorting sound. I am pretty sure she is saying, ‘darn it, why can’t you understand me?’

Anyway, as I say, ‘for what it’s worth’, I think that there is something to it - 14 years old and has the agility of of a puppy.

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Apr 28, 2019 9:09 pm

Glad to see you are up and running.
Here is a link to your old info viewtopic.php?f=80&p=20909#p20909
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#5 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:48 pm

Well thank you 72 - The problem seems to be in my control panel. I just don't know the meaning of the items and words. So I am just wondering around and hoping that I don't mess it up more. It still in not working right.

RAMBLING # 8

It has been said that in war the side that makes the least mistakes win. And each time I look at my 98 Mauser bolt I see a big mistake. Someone in Germany let the their ego get the best of them. When the 98 Mauser was designed in that time frame it was a very good design...for a civilian rifle-world class. I would guess that is what it was designed for at the time. When I look at it I see way over kill in machining labor time...for a military battle rifle. The labor time just for the bolt and receiver may be half the labor time of the whole rifle. I think that someone in Germany convinced the military that they deserved the best of battle rifles and made a few 98 Mausers for them despite the cost. WW1 came along and the 98 Mauser just was caught up in Germany's typical mind-set that they could make the best and although a perfectly good repeating rifle could be made at half the cost as I said someone’s ego ruled the day. I have seen the cost of the 03’s but I don’t recall seeing the US equivalent costs of the 98 Mauser. I‘ll bet it could be twice the cost of the 03’s.

The same idea prevailed in the German’s gas mask container. Ours as probably most others in the world were made of a canvas. At the time aluminum was super expensive and that is what they used. And I could never figure out just why Germany’s infantry seemed to always have carried the gas mask. They could have been issued at the first sign of an enemies use.

Of course all sides made mistakes but Germany seemed to have made all kinds of them, not the least of taking on the biggest country in the world, all because of ego.

checkmate19
United States of America

#6 Post by checkmate19 » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:13 pm

Its good to see you back , I was wondering where you disappeared to, my small labs are 13 and two of them are having a hard time with there hips. I started giving them glycoflex about a year ago . Its hard watching them get old no to mention they get me up about every 2 to 3 hours at night.

shoot4fun
United States of America

#7 Post by shoot4fun » Sun May 12, 2019 10:46 am

welcome back!

Return to “General Off Topic”