Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

Odd occurrance (E-Bay)

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Odd occurrance (E-Bay)

#1 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:00 am

I know some of you guys are e-bay traders so I have a question for you regarding cc charges.
(NOT firearm related)
I ought a couple of items from a single seller on e-bay.
My cc was charged the full amount of the transaction, I've confirmed this with the cc company.
HOWEVER
The seller was "shorted by a buck & change on a $38 transaction! There has been no explanation to either of us from E-bay & as you know they are notoriously difficult to contact directly.
Any Ideas? Has anything like this happened to you?

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

Re: Odd occurrance (E-Bay)

#2 Post by indy1919a4 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:53 pm

The credit card charges a fee for its use, E-bay passes it on to the seller

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#3 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:17 pm

It never has before.
Why do you think this time is different?

Ernest T
United States of America

#4 Post by Ernest T » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:18 pm

For the seller PayPal charges 2.9% + .30 for each sale. I think this is for using credit cards. It may not apply if you use funds directly moved from a bank account. On a $38 transaction that would come to a $1.40 charge.

Ebay also charges the seller for items sold, but this is not done at the time of the transaction, but in a monthly statement. Ebay gets 10% up to a certain amount then it goes to 12%, etc.. On $38 Ebay would get $3.80 on top of any fees the seller paid to put his ad on Ebay.

On a $38 sell on Ebay the seller would end up with $32.80 at the most. You can get burn't even more if you didn't calculate enough for shipping.

These fees add up quickly. That is one reason I try to avoid selling anything gun related on Ebay. I always try various gun forums first to sell directly first, then go to Gunbroker who has slightly lower fees, then Ebay as a last resort.
Last edited by Ernest T on Mon Jun 17, 2019 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#5 Post by indy1919a4 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:35 pm

Heck if I know,, I would rather crawl under 500 yards of razer wire over a field of broken glass then try explain or defend e-bay..

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#6 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:06 pm

Right there with you.
I call it E-Pay, but sometimes the choice is E-Pay or Amazon so I get to deal with it.
Maybe its normal?
Maybe its the seller's first sale so he finds it odd? (I sem to remember he had a bunch of ratings though so I doubt that.
Who knows? It was just odd that he mentioned it.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#7 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Ummh, plenty of sellers on Gunbroker charge 3% for credit cards and Gunbroker gets its cut as well. Not much of a difference here. Access to markets always costs money usually in the form of advertising or physical rent for a store. Would you rather have to maintain a store front or give an electronic marketplace a cut? This is no different from buying a table or stall at a flea market to sell your wares. I believe some renters take a cut of the sales from a store front as well. This is how a capitalist system works. Now, this wasn't razor wire or broken glass, was it? Personally, I don't go near E-bay or Pay-Pal.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, I did just drop some coin at MidwayUSA for moulds, dies, and gas checks. That's about the same thing as E-bay or Amazon, but smaller. I don't really hear people complain about them or Graf's and Sons. There they factor in the credit card fee and counter it with volume sales. In the end, their algorithm says they will earn more money. Single sellers don't have the volume of sales to make that work.

indy1919a4
Gun Nut
Gun Nut
United States of America

#8 Post by indy1919a4 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:14 pm

SWIHARTMARK wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:07 pm
Ummh, plenty of sellers on Gunbroker charge 3% for credit cards and Gunbroker gets its cut as well. Not much of a difference here. Access to markets always costs money usually in the form of advertising or physical rent for a store. Would you rather have to maintain a store front or give an electronic marketplace a cut? This is no different from buying a table or stall at a flea market to sell your wares. I believe some renters take a cut of the sales from a store front as well. This is how a capitalist system works. Now, this wasn't razor wire or broken glass, was it? Personally, I don't go near E-bay or Pay-Pal.

Best Regards,

Mark

BTW, I did just drop some coin at MidwayUSA for moulds, dies, and gas checks. That's about the same thing as E-bay or Amazon, but smaller. I don't really hear people complain about them or Graf's and Sons. There they factor in the credit card fee and counter it with volume sales. In the end, their algorithm says they will earn more money. Single sellers don't have the volume of sales to make that work.
Please do not place straw dog arguments up like "how capitalism works". I do not Fault e-bay making money, never implied, thunked or uttered under my breath any such a thing. I do fault their hi-handed ways. Now that being said, I do truck with them, but they have the customer/seller service and consistency of a bat to the head. And they know it.. I will say that I find gun broker a much better and a more consistent place to deal with.

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#9 Post by Tommy Atkins » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:29 am

I heard more from the seller, the amount mentioned was in addition to cc charges, e-pay charges & processing fees for selling.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#10 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:15 pm

When you are the only game in town, this stuff happens. Besides, how much customer service do you get at a flea market or swap meet? EBay is just an online flea market.

Best Regards,

Mark

Return to “General Off Topic”