Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

USAF Museum Virtual Tour

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

USAF Museum Virtual Tour

#1 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:03 pm

I found this while looking up the museum's website. I'm usually skeptical of these virtual tours, but I was impressed by this one since i know the museum like the back of my hand since I grew up here and make a few visits every year it seems. While the full scale space shuttle exhibit and the Memphis Belle are not featured in this tour, it is quite impressive since I felt like I was there. The site has controls at the bottom of the screen where you can look around in all directions, which surprised me to no end since they did a good job with it. I really felt like I was there and the only thing missing were all the tourist and we get them from all over the world. This museum is probably larger than the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum by far and no less world class.

You can do a simple "foot" tour or skip around using the controls. It seems a few years old already, but still impressive. I hope all of you who can't afford the air fare to Dayton can at least get a sense of what the museum has in it. If you can get here, admission is always free. If you do see it in person, the Memphis Belle was done rather well and she hangs off the floor by about ten feet suspended from the ceiling. The accompanying exhibits around her did justice in explaining the air war over Germany the crew manning those bombers faced.

For you locals out there, they are having a large scale radio controlled air plane meet at one of the run ways near the museum. Anybody flying a plane with more than one engine usually gets my full attention. Sometimes somebody invests in a B-29 or such. It doesn't beat the real thing, but its nice. Yes, they do crash....you can see that too.

Best Regards,

Mark

http://www.nmusafvirtualtour.com/

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

Re: USAF Museum Virtual Tour

#2 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:02 pm

Awesome, thank you.
The interface takes a little getting used to at first, but its good.
I got errors whenever I tried to access the (movie I guess) content or sound.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#3 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:19 pm

Movie, you don't need no stinking movie. Or is that badges? Once I got used to the interface, the tour become very impressive. From one vantage point you can do a very real 360 scan. It is all there like I have seen in person.

Of course, you don't get to walk inside the B-29 fuselage and bump your head in a virtual tour.

Best Regards,

Mark

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#4 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:43 pm

No problem, I was lucky enough to get to poke about in FiFi when she came to Hagerstown last year.
Attachments
DSCF0264.JPG

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#5 Post by 72 usmc » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:24 pm

Great to see. Thanks for the link. Almost like a visit.
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

vandle
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
Australia

#6 Post by vandle » Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks for the link

that is a great museum, the walk through was very interesting.
There were many planes which won't see over here.
Life is tough, tougher if your stupid

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#7 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:15 pm

Did FiFi charge you to look inside? I was lucky enough to look inside a few B-25's when they were here for free. I think there is a B-17 or B-25 30 minutes north of here that charges $300 for a short ride. I wonder if you get a group discount on that?

The Waco museum is a bit north of here and I have never visited it yet. They made those WWII gliders up there as well as some biplanes. There is one in the USAF Museum from there.

Many of the USAF Museum's aircraft are on loan from the Smithsonian I think. I don't think the Smithsonian can store all of them. Also Wright-Patterson USAFB has a hangar or two where aircraft are restored. I worked alongside one toolmaker who helped restore the Memphis Belle. He showed me a wing pin he ground that didn't look too easy to pull off as it had angled round grinds at opposite angles on it. I also told me Tom Cruise tried to buy the twin mustang in the Korean exhibit area.

There are also memorials to many squadrons outside the museum and help form a park. On the opposite side of the museum there is an actual WWII re-creation of an English based control tower and command center. Strangely enough, when I go home every day, I'm basically 100 yards from where you start the virtual tour on the outside of the museum. I see that view everyday.

I think one Sunday morning I actually met the museum docent who is a retired two star general. He told me he assigned the name for the Mig-23 and gave me the inside on why it was in the museum. Somebody imported it and didn't take off the 23mm cannons, so the BATF impounded it. If you can get one of the many docents who are retired USAF personal for the most part, they have some very interesting stories to tell you. It doesn't take much to get them to open up about their stories.

Wife has dinner ready, got to run.

Best Regards,

Mark

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#8 Post by Tommy Atkins » Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:47 pm

There was no charge for the tour, but they were charging for demo flights. There were several "pay scales" the highest being to ride in the bombardier's position.
I don't begrudge the charges even though they are high, it takes a lot to keep them flying & someone has to pay the bills.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#9 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:09 pm

The radial engines eat a lot of gas for sure. I remember some old hands from Northwest Airlines who worked on the old "Constellation" four engined prop airlines telling me how much more maintenance they were than a jet. I do know each and every bolt on the engine has to be wired down less it vibrate lose in flight.

Best Regards,

Mark

Tommy Atkins
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Canada

#10 Post by Tommy Atkins » Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:02 am

Max efficient cruise was 0.4 Lb/Hr X 4 of course! Higher power settings sucked down way more!

Return to “General Off Topic”