Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

1917 Movie

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

1917 Movie

#1 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:20 pm

I just came across this and thought I would send it along. Apparently there will be a new WWI movie. After watching the stuff from the Imperial War Museum restored in color, this looks cheap. I know it costs lots of money to dig real trenches, but isn't that is what CGI if for? I am planning to see the new Midway since I really don't want to see stock footage of modern ships pretending to be WWII boats. The old Midway and the newer Pearl Harbor movie really annoy me that way. I for one am looking forward to seeing a CGI Enterprise class carrier on the big screen, but not as big as the old Midway one I saw with the old surround sound. That theater was later made into several smaller screens and thusly a cinema it was so big. I do sense the guys making "1917" will play with the same type of sound used in the recent depiction of the Dunkirk battle. Now if they could only get the full overpressure from a 8" shell exploding 100 yards away, that would interesting.

I must go, I'm so jaded after seeing real war footage. Ummh, I guess I should be too.

https://youtu.be/YqNYrYUiMfg

Best Regards,

Mark

Charles Lipscomb
United States of America

Re: 1917 Movie

#2 Post by Charles Lipscomb » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:52 am

If they want to save money and still make a good movie they should hook up with reenactors. Those guys will have the correct weapons and uniforms. Lots of vehicles.
Hell they will dig the trenches as well...
I finally saw " they shall not grow old", I liked it very much.
More so as I don't think I had ever seen the footage used before.
Plus they played " mademoiselle from Alternies " in the credits.
I had rarely played attention to the song as i had only heard a bit of the beginning and the chorus until now. " worked her arse like a Maxim gun " really caught my attention. :D

https://youtu.be/EtiynnETOlM
" The beatings will continue until morale improves."
Management

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#3 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:32 am

When I see front line, or even communication trenches without shell holes O'Plenty, I can only roll my eyes. French accounts from Verdun, or even other less active sectors mentioned how carefully men had to move up to the front, even at night, so just marching up in trenches in undisturbed land grates on me. I've seen and read about nothing but moon scapes and mud and I didn't see much of that in the trailer at all. Reinactors, while always a positive, unless they are horribly fat and out of shape for a real solder, could not save those shots.

The old Kirk Douglas WWI film set in France in black and white did a much better job depicting front line life. They dug up some land in Germany for the shots and used lots of German veterans as well. Knowing this I cannot defend what I saw in the trailer.

Well, at least they did a film on WWI. Capturing the real horrors of it, mostly gas and artillery just is not for audiences today. Individuals were extinguished by unseen munitions sent from afar, not saved by super heroes or avenged by special forces with no less bravery than they had. WWI was an incredibly stark, bleak, and relatively hopeless war to be in for most soldiers. In the words of one Vietnam veteran of the battle of Hue who read some first hand accounts of trench warfare in WWI, "What ever we went through looked liked an ice cream social compared to what they endured. " By the way, the accounts he read were French. I am glad he sent them along to me.

Best Regards,

Mark

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#4 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:08 am

You got to love Paths of Glory 1957 with Douglas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU4PQ3OJn58

But I also like All Quiet on the Western Front 1930, The Blue Max 1966 and the Lost battalion 2001. There are many others...
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#5 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:16 pm

Thanks for reminding me of the title. I managed to see it recently.

I read a French account of life in the trenches and it seems civilians and military not assigned to the front did not act like there was a war going on when the soldiers got their leaves and returned back to their homes. The best officers seemed to be called up reservists outside the petty politics of career officers. The enlisted men showed no lack of encourage, especially early in the war, but the corruption at the top wore the ranks down.

Working on sizing 7.65mm bullets for my M1935a as I write. I just cast them yesterday. Got the mould finally last week.

Blue Max is pretty good. I used to game with a USAF academy grad and physics PhD who carried on the Blue Max revenge saga over sleeping with one's wife. I think one tried or threatened to blow up an observation balloon under his "wing man". You don't get banter like that playing a video game. I flew a Be2 for the challenge of it and survived.

Oh, I have seen YouTube clips of French WWI films that shame their English language equivalents for realism. Try to Google up some for fun. SIRI or LEXA be damned, type something in and look around on the right side at the other suggested videos.

Best Regards,

Mark

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#6 Post by 72 usmc » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:47 pm

many moons ago (2015) , PBS had an archaeological program titled "Digging Up The Trenches - Battle Of The Somme Documentary". Sort of nice to see archaeologists rather than metal detector looters actually documenting the WW I trench construction. It is reproduced on U tube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dHoJgZo2Rs

Not sure what one views the best:

And some odd photos see," World War I in Photos: A Century Later" by ALAN TAYLOR, APR 27, 2014, 45 PHOTOS

https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2014/ ... er/507341/

World Archaeology is written in English and this has an interesting WW I archaeological investigation in issue 68, Nov. 2014. The $32 monograph, the public account, is very nice, it is available on amazon. see: 'Remember Me To All': The archaeological recovery and identification of soldiers who fought and died in the battle of Fromelles 1916 (Oxford Archaeology Monograph)
https://www.world-archaeology.com/features/fromelles/

the book is found on amazon and eBay:
To old to fight and to old to run, a Jar head will just shoot and be done with you.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#7 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:18 pm

The pictures from the Atlantic were most welcome. I liked the memorial from Vimy Ridge which still shows all the craters to this day. I can only imagine the mud and lack of vegetation when the craters were first made. This is usually followed up with more ghastly features as time went by. They tended not to be able to clear out no man's land, so things stayed there till the lines moved, if they ever did. They Shall Not Grow Old even had pictures of this.

I read The Atlantic online these days and enjoy it quite a bit. They have a wide range of articles you can pick and choose from not offered up in most magazines.

Best Regards,

Mark

72 usmc
Firearm Fanatic
Firearm Fanatic
United States of America

#8 Post by 72 usmc » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:14 pm

1917 It is scheduled for limited release on December 25, 2019 and wide release on January 10, 2020.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1917_(2019_film)

:arrow: :clap: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8579674/

Nov. 8 is the new MIDWAY movie. So save your bucks for a DVD, both sound worth watching :shhh: :shifty:

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#9 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:59 am

I will actually go see the movie in a theater, Midway that is. 1917, not so much.

Best Regards,

Mark

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#10 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 am

I saw the trailer for 1917 on the big screen before I saw Midway and noticed a distinct lack of trenches in most scenes, not to mention shell holes from artillery. I'd rather see the Nimitz stand in for the Kaga at Midway than that garbage. Just my frank opinion. When have you ever saw untouched fields in the front lines in 1917 on the western front? Perhaps in 1918 during the vast German advances, but not in 1917. Somebody was just being dirt cheap so to say. Those men deserve better.

Best Regards,

Mark

ammolab
United States of America

#11 Post by ammolab » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:59 am

SWIHARTMARK wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 am
I saw the trailer for 1917 on the big screen before I saw Midway and noticed a distinct lack of trenches in most scenes, not to mention shell holes from artillery. I'd rather see the Nimitz stand in for the Kaga at Midway than that garbage. Just my frank opinion. When have you ever saw untouched fields in the front lines in 1917 on the western front? Perhaps in 1918 during the vast German advances, but not in 1917. Somebody was just being dirt cheap so to say. Those men deserve better.

Best Regards,

Mark
Same thought with “thin red line”. Sean Penn going thru LUSH unscathed Guadalcanal. Not a crater, fire, smoking horizon, or sound of distant fire in any shot. More background action in any urban neighborhood park than in that movie.

SWIHARTMARK
United States of America

#12 Post by SWIHARTMARK » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:51 pm

I think the action in "Thin Red Line" was mostly west of the Henderson field. I know the field was plastered, but beyond that, I'm not sure. Many Japanese probing actions were south of it through lush unscathed terrain, which slowed the Japanese down so much they were near starvation when they got to US lines. Richard B. Frank's book "Guadalcanal" covers that in more detail and is a good read. I have read a few accounts of patrolling on the island and it appears a good deal of the time it was quiet and undisturbed. Japanese did hide themselves far better than we did from what I've read, after all, we had planes to watch them from Henderson close by if they didn't.

I haven't seen many pictures outside of Henderson field and the areas where the Japanese assaulted, so the Thin Red Line's depiction might be realistic. There was a lot of island to take, so plastering all of it with a limited supply of shells would have been difficult, if not impossible. I know General "Lighting" Joe Collins was a veteran of that campaign and in that western region and was later shipped off and fought at D-Day (his relation orbited the moon during Apollo 11). I have read reports from Frank's book describing general starvation amongst Japanese troops in the field in that area Collins fought over. The troops in the Japanese assaults south of Henderson were so far gone, they were ready to die when they did attack. Again, go read Frank's book for more detail. The Japanese did lack the heavy artillery necessary to plow up the jungle like 150mm guns and odds are we didn't have many of those either. Given the clear skies in the battle scene of the US troops trying to take that Japanese hill in the movie, you would think a plane or two would have been spotting if not bombing and staffing. Of course, the Japanese tried to camouflage themselves even in the movie. It is difficult to say since Guadalcanal was such a big island, say as compared to Tarawa, Iwo Jima, or Saipan, which were totally plastered, especially the first two.

If anything, go to Thrift Books online and get yourself a copy of Frank's book cheap. I found it the best I've ever read on the Guadalcanal campaign on every aspect of the battle. Leckie's Helmet For My Pillow is a good first hand account of the campaign directly used by the HBO series Pacific. I found the book better than the series as well as Sledge's 'With The Old Breed" which covers Pelieu and Okinawa and is used for the HBO series too. Stud's Terkel even interviewed Sledge in his book "The Good War" well before there was even an HBO. The Good War is a Pulitzer prize winner and Studs Terkel is America's premier oral historian.

I found "The Thin Red Line" to be an okay movie with loads of slow parts. An accurate depiction of inexperienced conscripts far out of their comfort zone on many levels. HBO did a far better job overall in my opinion even though I'd read Leckie's and Sledge's books first if you can. John Prados book Island of Destiny is another good read on the topic of Guadalcanal. Prados is a expert on US intel during the war in the Pacific. For more, read Combined Fleet Decoded by him for some eye popping moments like finding out McArthur was basically reading most all Japanese radio traffic during his New Guinea campaign. The man was not a genius and Prados has the goods on him.

Best Regards,

Mark

Return to “General Off Topic”