Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#196 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:31 pm

Hi indy - Yeah, that's one way.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#197 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:11 pm

RAMBLING # 2- - Just some of the ways that I do things – Pan lubing....We all have had problems with this in not getting the lube in all of the grooves. I do a double heating so to speak...I have two hot plates but it can be done with one of course. Make sure your are using a firm pan...place the bullets normally and pour the melted wax in as usually but let cool and then heat that pan really hot to let the wax flow into the grooves. If one is in a hurry and has another hot plate they can combine this operation.

Over the years I have fiddled with the wax with oil and etc. But now I use just pain straight candle wax. I think the only reason for mixing some other concoctions is trying to get better accuracies by some other means than just learning to shoot better. One time a fellow gave me 30 pounds of candles and wax...remember KISS...Keep It Simply Stupid. Maybe the oil gives it a slippery feature??

And, I have never had any trouble getting free wheel weights for casting from tire dealers. I have never bought any lead or lead alloys. The sellers of the weight don’t take in the used weights. Maybe some employee just tries to make a little on the side. And again, I don’t think that going to all of the trouble and expense of mixing various alloys will appreciable increase any shooting accuracy. When I have asked a tire dealer after I have just bought a set of tires if I could have some used wheel weights they have always, always said help your self. The last time I had a S-10 pickup and I loaded that poor thing down with maybe 800 to a thousand pound. I haven’t ask for any in the last ten years.

A few years ago my son came by and we went out back and he shot every rifle and hand gun that I have. It was all with my hand-loads. He would just turn the pistol over and glance at the other side and shoot. And I said, “ Where in the world did you learn to shoot like that.” And he said. “Oh, I don’t know.” Well that was not exactly true. It was all because of his thousands of ‘dry-fires’. He could get in 500 to a thousand in an evening setting in his living room. It’s all about learning to repeat a sight picture before pulling the trigger. He would just interject a few live firings.

I asked him how may guns did he have and he said 115 hand guns and 15 shot guns. Now this needs some further explaining – that is a whole different story.

I make my own Black powder – good black powder, like most don’t. With just a vary noticeable light wisp of smoke. And now it is coming out at 3 something a pound. The real only expense is the Potassium Nitrate at 3 $ a pound. I use Seep Willow for my charcoal. When I first moved here over 20 years ago there was a fellow in town that made and sold his own line of custom Black Powder and he used the local Seep Willow – that’s how I knew about it. It is so nice to work with and has some feature in it that makes it burn better and cleaner. Once one learns to make there own more properly they will become aware of the dirty, fouling regular commercial stuff. Notice the nick-name, Mule Fat. DuPont makes explosives as an ingredient from the old pine stumps known as Fat Lighter or Stump Lighter. I think it is a similar thing with this Seep Willow. I can shoot this 1917 all day long with my black powder and just get a grey on a white patch. Also since I am not a good pistol shooter, I shoot the same with the Black Powder or smoke less powder.
One can not get good charcoal by burning wood – burnt wood gives ash.

I am convinced that the bore lapping is the big reason for no leading or powder fouling. This bore finish is around 800 grit. I measure grit finishes with a microscope. Just slug the bores as normal with the lightly oiled soft lead and compare the surface of the slug for lapping progress. Some lightly wax Jacked bullets – I think that is a good thing.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#198 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:35 pm

RAMBLING #3--CURRENT NEWS --
Have you seen on the current news about the picture of a Black Hole 100 million light years away which were here-to-for just theoretical. Astro Physics has become factors way above Mind Boggling. I have a couple of telescopes and I can just make out the rings of Saturn and I think that is something. To see something that has happened 100 million light years ago to me is just beyond comprehension. A guy on the news this morning said that our galaxy, the Milky Way, is just one of 100 million galaxies. That is just what can be estimated so far. No one can even guess where all of this ‘stuff’ came from. And here in the clearer skies at 8000 feet it is said that in the field of view at night are around 2 billion stars. It just make me feel so insignificant to think about bullets and black powder. I still have a Ham Radio License and I can talk to the guys on the International Space Station.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#199 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:41 pm

Mulefat ( Seep Willow )… Baccharis salicifolia
Posted on June 19, 2013 by admin
IMG_5556Living in one of the more flora diverse states in North America, I often take for granted some of the flora resources available to me, that are not available to others.

Recently, Creek Stewart, of Willow Haven Outdoor contacted me asking me if I could send him some Mulefat. Of course I agreed, but it left me thinking, “Wow! I’m pretty fortunate to have it so available to me, to the point it can almost be considered invasive in some areas”…. Shhhh! You never heard me say that. The fact is, Creek is not the first to ask me to send him some. So, what is this wonder wood people want so much?

Baccharis salicifolia

Mulefat, or Seep Willow —as it is commonly known in Arizona— is the go to wood we use out west for hand drill spindles. They grow straight, are of the right diameter, and are also of the right density for firemaking. But what is little know about mulefat is it had so many other uses to Native Americans, more than just a tool to make fire with.

Mulfat is all the green shrubs you see. Notice the long straight stems
Mulfat is all the green shrubs you see. Notice the long straight stems
The Cahuilla and Costanoan tribes both made a infusion of the leaves and washed their hair and scalp in order to promote hair growth and prevent baldness. Cahuilla women would make a decoction of the leaves and used it for gynecological hygiene.

Digueno Indians made an infusion of the leaves and applied it as a poultice to bruises and insect bites.

Navajo made an infusion of the plant and used it as a lotion for chills from immersion.

Both the Mojave and Yuma used it as a starvation food by roasting and eating the young shoots when nothing else was available

The Cahuilla, because of the long straight limbs, used mulefat in housing construction

The Kawaiisu made arrows from the long straight limbs and also burned the plant to a black powder and mixed it with another ingredient to make gun powder.

Of course, we know some tribes also used mulefat for hand drill spindles.

I hope you enjoyed this article on Mulefat. Now you know it’s not just a firema
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#200 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Apr 11, 2019 3:23 pm

RAMBLING # 4 ---LYING FBI---
They must lie just because they can. I have had a secret clearance most of the time since I was 18 until I retired in 1995 – had the FBI lie detector tests for clearances beyond. A while back I asked them for a copy of my FBI record because of the ‘Freedom of information act’. The only cost would have been 50 cents per page coping fees, and they wrote back that they can’t do that because I have no FBI record. Now maybe it is an FBI policy not to do such things but not to just lie and say I don’t have an FBI record. In 1952 my mother said just what have you done after I joined the Air Force and two FBI men came to our little town of Walker Minn. and stayed a couple of days asking about me. What it was was for a secret clearance for me to start in an Electronic school. And since then I worked every working hour in Military Aviation Avionics until I retired in 1995.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#201 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:47 pm

RAMBLING # 5---I might have some more ink left in the computer and some may not be aware of the things that happened in the 737 Max crashes. I learned to fly when I was 19 and bought a plane in 58 and as I have said been involved in aircraft avionics for 45 years. When they went to 20 hours minimum for getting a private license from 40 I thought they that they should have doubled it to 80 instead but politics trumps safety. Years ago basic auto pilot on a plane was a way of reducing the actual time spent controlling the plane and reducing fatigue. The pilot flew it to cruising altitude and then switched on the auto pilot. Then over time the systems became more sophisticated. The aircraft manufactures like with 737 Max have went to the trouble and ‘expense’ and has passed this along to the buyers as the better and safer and more efficient way of flying. It looks like the manufactures in this case Boeing, has recommended switching to auto pilot 2 minutes after take off with maybe 5 to 8 minutes before landing, or whatever. This is a selling point with Boeing. Since the buyers paid for this and it is written in the manuals, the air lines feel obligated and it is probably part of the legal flying guide lines to follow this.

It is typical on a flight for the pilot and the copilot to alternate the take offs and landings – one will do the take off the other will land. The typical job of the copilot during the flight is to take care of radio contact, receive the weather updates, watch gages and whoever is not making the landings lower the flaps. Okay, here is a problem, a pilot or a copilot that may actually get only 2 or 5 minutes of flight control time during the flight will actually log in the complete flight time or one half, depending on company policy. There is almost never any training time for a pilot in the piloting of a plane that they will become a pilot in. It is done in a simulator. They will go directly from a simulator to the job of the pilot. In the case of the Ethiopian 737 Max pilot that was making the take off, I heard that he had 207 or 307 hours. Now this could probable mean his whole flight training career. Now remember he got to log in all of his flight time, not just the few minutes of take offs or landings. This is not just for foreign airlines, it is the same for our airlines.
If it wasn’t for the integrity of the aircraft manufactures this couldn’t be. Planes would be following out of the skies right and left. The same with military planes. They use poorly and insufficiently trained maintenance personnel but with very good pilot training. I have seen it said that in some cases, don’t know where, a pilot with a commercial license can just take a paper Air Transport course and then fly as a pilot with an Air Transport license. A fellow I know, a retired Fed-Ex pilot, said that he was checked out as a pilot in 8 or 10 different big planes with just simulator time. He said that his simulator and class time for a 747 was 10 days. I have 45 minutes of simulator time.
A pilot here or anywhere can go from a simulator one day and take off or land a plane the next day with a plane load of passengers. I would think that if I were to be a CEO of an airline I would just make provisions for the pilots to get to cruising altitude before switching to auto pilot. Just to forego any malfunction of the system like in the two 737 cases and others. They could be with enough altitude to recover from the malfunction and get actual flying control experience.
I don’t think like politicians, I just think that I know how they can think, usually.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”