Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

United States of America

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:30 pm

If one wishes....there may be a lot of this trouble with the older hand guns of people here on this forum.
I bought this Llama from a coworker years ago for 65 $, and just had never gotten around to firing it for the longest time. Then I realized why he had sold it to me ...it jammed after every first shot. I looked at it and saw that the extractor was catching on the rim of the case as it was trying to chamber the next round – common problem with semi-auto pistols, especially older ones. For some reason that I can’t explain, this has been an age old problem with the Semi –Autos. The ammunition was made with too much variance in the brand of rim thicknesses. When I was a kid and before it was well known that the Auto Pistol was not as reliable as a revolver and was shunned by the Law Enforcement community for this very reason. The extractor had a sharp edge that dug into the case rim keeping the new cartridge from sliding under it. It was just too much trouble in the production process to round off this sharp edge so the practice was to just make these extractors with enough room to accept all of the cases made at the time. USUALLY...but not always. And European ammunition, typically from what I have read, has long been made with the case rims just a little bit thinner than here in the US...usually. No problem with most of the modern major manufactures, I have read. With my original 1939 7.35 Carcano ammo, the case rims are right at 0.010 thinner than the modern stuff.

One time a fellow said that he had a problem with a non-Walther P-38 ‘bring-back’ from WW2 jamming every once in a while. We shot it and I saw what appeared to be this very problem. This was before I solved the problem with my Llama. Not that it would have made any difference, I would not have offered other than ‘he’ might fix it himself. But he was not the kind to do any DIYing.

Another problem with this, a real problem is with gunsmiths, is that it is ethical to overcharge for small quick fixes because they usually don’t have the work load to keep busy for the whole day. They will usually say, leave it and I’ll try to fix it, knowing darn well that they will fix it in a few minutes, but feel that they have to charge more than their time would justify. This is of course common in most all repair businesses, especially in vehicle repair. And I understand this.

I mentioned to a gunsmith about the problem with this Llama and he said, “Oh, a common problem, it is usually the magazine.” Bring it in and leave it and I’ll order a new magazine and that should fix it. Well I didn’t and I mentioned this to another gunsmith. Again, Oh, a common problem but I should have two new magazines, a spare, at 40 each. Bring it in and leave it and I’ll order the magazines and fix it.
Well I thought, what the heck, I’ll buy a set of gunsmith stones and do it myself. I did, I bought a set of six little stones over 20 years ago and it took just a minute to fix it...to round off the leading edge of the extractor. I have always done my own trigger work by scrounging a stone or two, but now I can do trigger work as smooth as the best.

Oh, learn and save - - Every since I was little, I tried to fix things myself, no matter what it was. And I learned how to do anything with any of my guns, that I needed too....just light gun smithing not like re barreling or any heavy stuff. By the way, in a local shop here, there was a gunsmith working in back, again in light stuff. I ask him one day if he was a real gunsmith and he said well, he was, “Self-taught.” Yes, I have read about the different requirements for certified gunsmithing schools, etc., but I am seeing where this can be a ‘grey area’, as well.

I have two neighbors right now that can’t do a darn thing for themselves. One can’t replace a light switch in his house, had to call in an electrician and spent over an hour replacing a flat tire on his pick-up because he had to read the manual first. The other neighbor is so afraid to do any minor things to his guns, and this includes any stock refinishing.
I think that if a person would have done more things like fixing his own BB gun, he wouldn’t be so helpless now-a-days. I have most, maybe all, of the NRA Gunsmithing Books and they are just full of good information.

Remember Dwyne Hickman with his ‘Good Book’ in Cat Ballou. And right under the end of the barrel in this photo is the word 'HELP'.

United States of America

#2 Post by echo1 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:24 am

Nice info, thanks for passing it down. I to have always like machine things. How does it work? Why doesn't it work now. PAX

United States of America

#3 Post by Smokey » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:55 am

I'm a sort of "light work" smith myself. I do a lot of minor work for people I can fully trust (not looking for a "quick buck" lawsuit). At one time I was a service rifle competitor and learned a lot just "tuning and tweaking". As stated, most problems are easily solved with some very minor work; but you need to be able to find the problem.
Frustratingly, a lot are from the "dry is good" stupidity.
Arguing with someone who denounces reason is like administering medicine to a corpse.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”