Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

TOO BAD

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

TOO BAD

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:25 pm

I just read where a bunch of guys have said that they can’t get out to do any shooting lately because of the heat, humidity and bugs. Here we are also having record breaking temperatures, but nothing like the rest of the country. For the last couple of months it is usually right around 40 degrees every morning and will maybe get up to 75 and 80 at the most during the day and with a typical relative humidity of 29 %. Maybe that will drop down to 24 say. Years ago my folks retired and moved near Panama City, Florida and used to complain about me not coming down there and visiting more often...at 98 degrees and 98 % humidity they still could not understand why. We leave a bedroom window open about a foot all of the time during the summer but can’t leave the other windows open at night because of the bears. I know the difference - I was raised in northern Minnesota, lived a while in Canada and Alaska and do know about the mosquitoes, gnats and ticks. We are completely surrounded by the San Juan National Forest and our back yard boarders it about 120 yards behind our house. And...AND, I have not seen one mosquito, one gnat or one tick yet this year.

A few years ago a fellow from New York City happened upon this place and decided to sell real estate here. He knew a realtor lady in California and she would select prospective buyers and he would fly them here free just to look at real estate. He was so successful that the local nice realtors actually ran him out of town – they made it so bad for him.

As I read some of the guys stories about the humidity and high prices for range fees, it just has to be bad. One mentioned that his range fees had just gone up to 129 a year.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

ffuries
United States of America

Re: TOO BAD

#2 Post by ffuries » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:20 pm

Yeah Panama City Florida temps suck this time or year. Hell I hate going down to the mailbox and it's only about to 50 feet from the front door. But you come back soaking wet from the sweat, the temps have been in the mid to high 90's here with that ungodly humidity.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member

echo1
United States of America

#3 Post by echo1 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:37 am

The last time I went shooting was 4 years ago. We shot the .357 & .41 mag, with my (now) ex-nephew in law, active Marine, Beretta instructor. Before that was 6 years ago, running a couple recently acquired SKSs. I got a practical example of negative sear engagement. Currently I'm no fewer than 3 dozen pieces of Iron & Wood behind in function verifications. PAX

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:36 pm

IN PASSING – Humidity...Guam story...For two years, 75-77 I was working on the island of Guam. There was a story, ‘In God we trust, in Guam we rust’. Which was generally true... It was said by some that one could actually hear the steel rust with the ‘snap, crackle and pop’. Now with my un aided hearing it was never sensitive enough to hear this...but, But...I do believe that with the necessary sensitive microphone and amplifier this of course could be done. It was said that it rained every day somewhere on the island, and I saw no reason that this was untrue. And I could actually see a piece of steel rust with my un aided eye, within a day. A couple of times I filed the surface of a piece of plain steel and could the next day detect a very fine film of tan rust on the surface by filing a new spot on the piece of steel. The other time it took two days to see this. With aluminum, the metal is so reactive that it takes only a second or two for this to happen. This can be seen by filing the surface of aluminum and then closely watching it oxidize. The first of the oxidized surface will slow down further oxidation. Now this occurs faster with just pure aluminum, not as much with the special alloys that are made of Hi-tech alloys, but it still occurs with most aluminum alloys. I have found that the typical aluminum alloys will turn from a silvery surface to a bluish tinge color right after filing the surface.

Back to oddities about Guam....it was said that there was no natural ‘dirt’, or sand on the island. I believe this to be true. Guam was formed by an uplift of ocean bottom covered with coral. There was one small area of Guam where the surface had a few more million years for the coral to change to what was called, ‘dirt’. Close enough to dirt that they actually grew vegetables in it. One time I saw at a hardware store a pile of ‘dirt’ with a sign...DIRT – 5 CENTS A SHOVEL. I did not know if this was some imported ‘dirt’ or just some of this ‘almost dirt’.

A deer hunting story from Guam...A coworker that had a couple of teenage children said that they were having a little birthday dinner for one of them....come on over for beer and fresh deer meat...uncooked deer meat by-the-way. About two in the afternoon I asked, hey, where is this deer. My coworker said, ‘Oh, the kids just went out to get one. Sure enough, soon the kids came back with two deer, both shot with a .38 Special handgun. They dressed them out, the women sliced the meat thin, soaked in vinegar and spices and we had fresh deer meat by six that evening. The deer were both full grown, about 30 inches high at the shoulders.

A local trap shooting story for ‘Trap shooters’. The local Skeet and Trap Club had a Thanksgiving Day Turkey Shoot. For one dollar one was given 5, .410 shells and the use of a Remington full choke pump shot gun. The person stood about 10 feet behind the trap mound and the puller pulled the five birds as fast as the trap would work. For shooting the five clay birds, one got his Turkey. It took me four or five tries to get one. But as I remember, guys had their older teenage children and wives try this and I don’t recall seeing any one of those do it. And a lot of the guys kept trying and couldn’t do it. I have never seen that since and have often wondered about that. How would the trap shooters do with this?

No real Guamanian such party would be complete without Bat on the menu, Fruit Bat. They would take the Bats and cook in coconut milk...some call this coconut water. Boil them with ‘guts, feathers and all’.
The choice parts were the stomach contents and the heads. Actually there was not much other to eat on one. I would let others have my share.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

sowbelle
United States of America

#5 Post by sowbelle » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:58 pm

Eating Bats????
What, exactly would be in the stomach that anyone would want to eat?? :( :( :( :think: :think: :think: :think:

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:37 am

FRUIT – That is what Fruit Bats eat. If you can imagine with those skinny legs and wings there would not be much to pick on. As I said, the main piece of meat is the head. That’s right, one good suck on that and that is all you get, plus the stomach. I saw on the restaurant menu of the Guam Hilton, ‘Fruit Bat, $10’.

While I was there the King of Tonga came to Guam to buy Fruit Bats. Apparently Tonga had eaten their way out of their Fruit Bats. He made a deal with Guam for shipment of Fruit Bats for $1 per Bat. It’s kind of hard to estimate in the millions but I have seen them in the millions hanging from the trees less than a quarter of a mile from my work place in the Philippines. The adults were typically of a five foot wing span. It just happened to be a nice place that they liked to hang out during the day. At sun down they all flew off to the plains of Luzon to eat fruit during the night. They had their seasonal migrations, they wouldn’t be there the complete year. Just GOOGLE ‘Fruit Bat’, you can see what I mean. Our work place in the PI was a special building by its self stuck out in the jungles of Bataan just across the border of Luzon. We had a variety of wild critters around us and in our parking lot all of the time - Monkeys, Wild Boar, Pythons, up to 29 feet, King Cobras up to 9 feet, regular Cobras, wild Caribou, and it was said that at one time a 2000 pound crocodile was caught. Although I worked there for 21 years, I didn’t see one crocodile around there. Actually they had mostly been eaten.

I did a lot of snorkeling and scuba diving there and when a long Sea Snake swims by you, it gets your attention. And when a 12 foot Manta Ray swims by, that’s memorable.

Yes, Fruit Bat stomachs....you may have eaten Chitlins but in northern Luzon they had what was called, Chitlins’ with the stuffins. They were a piece of hog gut with the ends folded over and deep fried to hold in the stuffins. Heck, when I first got there in 1966 a navy F4 had engine trouble over a little island off the coast of northern Luzon and they both bailed out successfully but the locals had them for dinner. A coworker flew up there in a helicopter to investigate the incident.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=fruit%20b ... B5CE2F1298
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#7 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:28 pm

DSC_0009.JPG
For What It’s Worth, and it sure works good as a steel Case Hardener. I bought a one pound can years ago for $1 and still have plenty. Some people will run for their lives when they see anything with the word ‘Cyanide’ or derivative of cyanide in it. If one notices the little girl on a box of Morton’s salt carrying an umbrella in the rain with her box of Morton’s salt pouring out behind her. “When it rains it pours”. When one eats any of the salt, they are eating some Sodium Ferrocyanide, food-grade. That is what allows this to happen in a high humid area. Highway Departments around the US colder parts use it in their salt that they spread on the roads in the winter time to help melt the ice. And more often than not, they will use the ‘food grade’ because of the animals that will eat it as it collects at the edges of the roadways.

Back up to a couple days ago...I have just a few ‘Counter-Sinks’ and I quite often can’t find one when I need one. Day before yesterday I ordered eight of various kinds from eBay...then yesterday I took a couple of regular little slot-headed bolts and used a small electric drill motor and a bench grinder to make these two, and increased the slots with a hack saw They work perfectly in wood. And I will Case-Harden them with my Sodium Ferrocyanide to last the rest of my life time. Quite often one gets poor information from ‘YouTubes’. Typically these types of bolts, ‘Stove Bolts’, as well as low to medium carbon bolts have a steel that will take a good case-hardening. You probably won’t see this on a YouTube, but I usually will, heat the item as hot as I can, super red-hot and then roll it, swish it, quickly in my Sodium Ferrocyanide...brush it off and repeat three times...and after the third time, heat it red-hot and quench it in some saturated salt water with some ice cubes...just like the old time ice cream maker. Three times because I have found that this works for me – after the third time I don’t notice any more hardening. Your mileage may vary. By the way you may find the Sodium Ferrocyanide in a ‘Health Food store’ or on eBay. China ships it to the US by the boat-loads. And of course there are more than a dozen ways to case harden. And what determines ‘Food Grade’ is a different story.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_ferrocyanide
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#8 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:01 am

DSC_0010.JPG
FUNNY ? At first I thought that some foreign maker had some trouble with translation, then I saw that it was made in Chicago. No kidding Dick Tracy. I know, it’s an old nautical saying.

I was Calibrating my Hygrometers – I don’t know how to easily calibrated a Barometer.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#9 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:52 am

Well not bad but a good thing...For those that may not want to bother with hand lapping a dark or rough bore. I found an easy cheap way. No fuss, well very little....Acquire some cheap Rottenstone or Tripoli Polishing Compound, same thing, maybe at a Lapidary Shop....I have seen it at 14 $ a pound. A pound should last anyone more than a couple of life times. At a lapidary shop maybe one can buy a couple dollars worth. I bought a small can of fast drying Polyurethane at Walmart. I took a teaspoon of it and a teaspoon of paint thinner and half a teaspoon of Rottenstone and some cast bullets mixed in a little plastic container, swished around until coated and left on a screen until dry. Loaded with them and it took just a few to see a nice shinny bore. Again, just for what it’s worth – can do or not do. Rottenstone is too fine to aggressively treat a really rough bore. It doesn’t have to be Rottenstone, any fine Aluminum Oxide will do the same thing.

Here is something that I don't know if one doesn't want to bother the neighbors with such incidental sounds is use black powder in these loadings and shoot into a some pads or pillows in one's back yard. I have written to the ATF more than once about such things. And more often than not the answers are usually vague when it comes to Black Powder and its uses. It is if they just don't want to be pinned down and let one take their chances - not right but life isn't always fair. Now I am not talking about some local city or county ordinance, just with the ATF.

http://www.empireblended.com/engineered ... stone.html
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#10 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:52 am

Oh heck, here is two pounds of Zeolite for 5 $ - enough to polish maybe a thousand bores. The cheaper stuff at Home Depot for the water softeners I would I expect to be of larger grit size and I wouldn't use it.
I haven't tried Zeolite though. It may be too soft to do anything quick enough...for me. But I would be pretty sure that it will polish a bore.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeolite-Clinop ... wder&rt=nc
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#11 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:24 pm

GOOD GOLLY - But Mark Twain said to believe nothing that you read and only half of what you see....but this says that no one should go to bed without eating some Zeolite. Maybe good for your rifle bore, good for you and good for your pets and good for your drinking water. I guess I will just have to buy some so I will know about the bore polishing thing at least. I know, I know....I am not one to just believe all of the crap that can be seen on the web. That is why I will buy some from eBay for a rifle bore, so I will know about that at least. I see where Walmart sells the food grade stuff for quite a bit more. I remember as a kid where Zeolite sold for 75 cents a 50 pound bag for water treatment...maybe less. Apparently I have seen Zeolite being made when years ago I watched the lava running into the ocean in Hawaii.
http://www.newswithviews.com/Howenstine/james48.htm
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#12 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:57 pm

By the way, although I can think that I can read pretty well, but this in no way implies that I can in anyway decipher just how others of authority will interpret gun laws be they ATF, federal, state, county or city. As far as I am concerned they all do these things so no one will know exactly just what one can do and just what one can not do. It is just the system where the powers to be have the ‘flexibility’ to do their job as they see it at the time. It can be pointed out where the laws are written with contradictory statements in the same sentence and they will just smile and love it. I am a DOD retiree of 27 years and a DOD contract employee before that. I have done a lot of writing with work and I would not do this but my bosses would change a word to make things vague some times just to give them some ‘wiggle room’. Your boss may not always be right but they are still your boss.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#13 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:20 am

One time I wrote to the ATF and ask about using a 2 x 2 x 5 foot enclosure lined with the regular foam for noise abatement in shooting experiments and the guy that answered just didn’t want to make it clear whether in was okay or not. Now dog gone it, if I was doing the answering, I am pretty sure that I could give a definitive answer. But oh no, not him. That was years ago...I wonder just how that would be now a days.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#14 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:42 am

One who may not have spent too much time out of the states may wonder about some of these things. I have been to Thailand a few time but before this new modern idea. Can one realize just why something like this would be so popular? https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tr ... ORM=VDQVAP

AND....some choice street food of Saigon. I spent a year in Vietnam in 67-68 and then the rat eating was not so sophisticated so to speak. Then they were just plain alley rats, not as a novelty, but something to eat. I had better things to eat. https://www.bing.com/search?q=Rat%20eat ... 36E437D886

Actually the rats were good food....When you see kids turn over a log and quickly grab the grubs,bugs and worms, they only wished they had a rat to eat. The big juicy grubs at a market cost money.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#15 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:58 pm

This may give one new meaning to over crowded trains. I saw the people riding on top all of time in India but I never saw it this bad. I saw the special little railing on the sides of the cars where people would hang on with the trains whizzing along at 50 miles an hour. Some people just have to do what they have to do.

After about 4 minutes, 10 seconds in this video is in India. https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ol ... ORM=VDRVRV

One may wonder why people don't fall off and be killed...well they do, all of the time. But they seem not to run out of people so not such a problem with that.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”