Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

IN PASSING & FWTW

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

IN PASSING & FWTW

#1 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:24 pm

Years ago there was a reloading type of thing that was used in target shooting and probable in general. It was where the case was filled with the powder charge and a wad inserted to keep the powder in, the bullet was inserted into the chamber and then the case with the powder was inserted right behind it. The idea being that there was no fiddling with the case between shots besides a new primer required...in other words there was no resizing of the case required – no resizing die set used or required. I am going to try this with the 45-70 brass that I will neck down to fit a 40-82 chamber.

When I was a kid I did something of sorts when I couldn’t find 45-70 ammo for my dad’s 1873 Trapdoors. I used .410 hulls and built up the brass with Scotch Tape and just taped the 45 bullet on the front of the hull. They worked just fine....Like in the photo, although I haven’t built this one up with the Scotch Tape. I can assume that there are a few calibers out there where Die-Sets are hard to find and this could be done.
DSC_0011.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: IN PASSING & FWTW

#2 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:41 pm

Did everyone see that drone incident with the Venezuelan president. I can assume that it may have been a warning with the explosion off target to ‘Get out of Dodge or else’. This is going to put politicians on notice through out the world. Anyone can learn to fly a drone in ten minutes. I use to belong to an RC model plane club and it takes a lot longer to learn how to fly them than a drone. Fact is I now have a new RC Plane in a box right now that I haven’t flown yet.
Does anyone remember the very first episode of the TV Series, ‘A man from Uncle’? I thought at the time that they are showing how easy it is take someone out with an RC Model Plane, but luckily the wrong people never got the idea. Now surely with the advent of the drones, I’ll bet it catches on. Shooting down the Amazon delivery drones will be nothing compared with drone assassinations. And this will prompt a new tech field – Jamming systems to be set up for such out-door events. But...but, will everyone trust these? I don’t think soooo. Oh heck, these will work just as good ‘in-doors’ as well.

We will see, ‘As the World Turns’. And remember, ‘’Have Gun Will Travel.” A new vocation....”Have Drone Will Travel.”

On the 3D printing program for making a firearm, I think as the fellow on the interview says, ‘It’s not illegal to make one’s own firearm’, just that one can’t ‘make and sell’ without of course the proper license.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

tired bear
United States of America

#3 Post by tired bear » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:12 am

I've watched videos of people making various items with those printers and while I accept it's possible to "print" a firearm I just can't get my head around how they would stand up to the pressures of being fired with live ammo. They're plastic, so how is this so possible that people are getting worked up about it? Is it because they can pass though an airport security check without an alarm? Or resemble the real thing and getting someone unnecessarily killed by law enforcement or the gun itself? Or am I just missing something? Clue me in.
182+ posts before the old forum crashed. :violin:

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#4 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Oct 07, 2018 2:44 pm

Well, this is just what I understand about these 3D printer guns....It is not that they can’t be picked up by x-ray and detectors, it is because they can be made so easy. As far as I have heard they typically would still have the necessary steel barrels and receivers, etc. I have seen pictures of zip handguns made with Bamboo barrels wrapped with steel wire – just as deadly as any at five or ten feet.
I have seen pictures of black powder muskets and cannon made of hardwood barrels strapped with iron bands.
One has to keep in mind that the Media just wants to publish the 'sensational' parts of the story, not the whole story.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#5 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:54 pm

And by the way as I remember the story of the 3D printer gun it was just being a media ‘at the moment’ story and it was not being any kind of illegal...to tell someone ‘how’ it is done or show someone how to do something. Can’t anyone just make a firearm for them selves, whether it is with a 3D printer or anything? A few years ago I thought that I saw something where the ATF had said that one couldn’t just make for them selves or make and sell something larger than .50 caliber, such as the 20 mm rifles...or even buy, without the Class 3 license, but I haven’t heard just how that has ended up. I have a feeling that that was just an over-step of the ATF at the time. Somewhere here I have most or all of the then new 1968 gun regulations. I am assuming that I can make and sell a firearm if I acquire the necessary firearm manufacturing license, anything from a Bee Bee gun to a 16 inch rifle...and I am also assuming that I can draw up the plans on how to make anything from this Bee Bee gun to a 16 inch rifle and sell, or give away, these plans without any kind of license what-so-ever. Does anyone know that this cannot be done? I would think that I can buy, or make a 3D printer, and buy or write a computer program for it to make all of the 3D Printer firearms that I may desire.
And in this link I don’t notice anything about this over .50 caliber limitation being mentioned. http://www.oldglorygunsandammo.com/nfa- ... i-weapons/
And this short link surely isn’t a full description of the Class 3 information, I know. It is just something printed up by ‘Old Glory’. Notice the Disclaimer at the end.
And the ATF regulations are so full of vague and contradictory information. Right now I have presented a question to the ATF over a month ago and they have said to give them up to 120 days to answer. Their own regs aren't even clear to them.

In 1957 I went to a BIG FIVE store in LA, California and bought a .45 caliber revolver. They had a three day waiting period requirement to pick it up. That was the only restriction at the time, besides maybe age. They also had at the time 20 mm repeating rifles with a five round box magazine there for sale, $19.95. And the ammo was 1 dollar per round. And I don’t remember if there was this 3 day waiting period for this or not, but I didn’t buy one. I just thought at the time that my wife would give me heck for bringing that big thing home. Down the street at Century Arms they had these .45 caliber Webleys for 14.95. 1911’s were 24 and German 9mm Lugers were 29, and I was making 2.45 an hour making airplanes, and one of my ideas later made its way on to the moon.

Anywho.... That’s my story and I’m sticken to it.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#6 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:15 pm

.50 Caliber info...Here is some real ‘unofficial’ info...and as for this 200 $ transfer tax on Class 3 fire arms, I don’t even think that all of the ATF can be agreed on this.
https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?t ... iii.16163/
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”