Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#361 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:22 pm

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Co ... &FORM=VIRE

I have done these a little different---Put the newly cut spring in to water except for the very end that I want to modify. Hit It with a hot torch to anneal just the end coil, and flatten and shape as desired, then grind flat. I bought a bag of assorted springs years ago and still have 500 left.

I wonder how good one can get at Brain Surgery by watching good Youtubes? My cartiologist told me that he can get videos of various heart surgeries around the world. I think that would be great if I knew how.
Oh my giosh - I find all kinds of them - some free and some costing a fee. Now I can see how a person can watch these and go to a third world country and set up shop. I have heard of some here in the states doing this also.
Last edited by OLDGUNNER1 on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#362 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:41 pm

Has anyone here tried any 'On line' Gunsmithing School'?

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#363 Post by Cattus Borealis » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:35 pm

Nice revolver and pistol!

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#364 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:34 pm

In passing since I am on the 1911 let me add this. A couple of months ago I bought a LEE bullet mold, .452 at 160 grain for the sole purpose of coming up with a low power load for the 1911 with this bullet at 600 fps just for fast recovery in rapid fire. I have never tried anything like this and haven’t gotten around to it yet. But my plan is to get my charge of Bullseye to give me the 600 fps and then play with the recoil spring to get proper functioning. I am assuming that I will have to reduce the coils on the recoil spring until this happens where the receiver will go back far enough to pick up from the magazine. As I say this is new to me but I figure the worse thing that can happen is that I ruin a 5 $ recoil spring. Has anyone ever tried this? And at the same time maybe...just maybe the 1917 will shape up and fast fire with the same load. HA...I have my strong doubts about that. As a kid I usually milked a cow for the most of 10 years so my hands are still strong.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#365 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:08 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvoJ3awG7HM

A DIY Tap – For aluminum, brass, wood and maybe ever soft steel. Make from Grade 8 or 9 bolts.

I just came across this line of DIY things – I will be watching for days. With this one, one can case harden in 10 minutes and do much with.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#366 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:17 pm

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=2+ ... &FORM=VIRE

And this one for all kinds of stock work and wood work....With no limit on length in making these. But I think the guy really goes goes too far in making his.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#367 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:19 pm

Just some of my thoughts, today --- I realize that this forum is basically for ‘collectors’, but surely there are some of those ‘collected’ that could use some touch-up or maintenance. I have a neighbor right now that wouldn’t think of repairing a scratch on a rifle stock and thinks that reloading is the most dangerous thing in the world to do.

I think that good DIY YouTubes can give good ideas ....but there are gaggles and gaggles that are just garbage and parroted by those that have no idea of what they are taking about – just parroting to make a YouTube. And I see all of the time YouTubes that are on case-hardening where it is not mentioned that the case-hardening process is of ‘time’ control’. This is probable thee most important part of the process.

Case hardening depth is determined by ‘time’ at a sufficiently high temperature. Most of these simple Case Hardening videos just show a hot piece of metal being plunged into some case-hardening compound for maybe two or three seconds at a high temperature not realizing that the metal has cooled below a proper temperature very soon. Some types of Gas case-hardening may take hours or days to get the proper depth. Even the old-time shade-tree Black Smiths knew this where they would use the ‘packing’ method with their charcoal and leather So an easier way to get the more depth of case hardening in a part that a gunsmith may be involved with is just heating and dunking in the compound and do it repeatedly. With each time that the part is heated up and in the short time at the high temperature, the part will absorb a little more carbon. But...this is a ‘point-of-no-return’ proposition. The more times that this done, the increased effect gets less and less.. With me 4 or 5 times may be my limit. One may really have to work at it to get it to 45 or so thousands. I wouldn’t even try. One can actually cut the part with a hacksaw and see the progression of the depth of the case hardening. I have bionic eyes.

And....a propane torch will do the job....Mapp gas will do a better job and acetylene better yet, only because they burn at progressively higher temperatures allowing the part to remain at the higher temperatures longer.

And the regular cheap Potassium Ferrocyanide will do just about as good as anything. Probable this is the basis for most. Don’t worry about whether it is ‘Food Grade’ or not, the cheaper stuff will work just as good. And by all means don’t let the ‘cyanide’ part scare anyone, we all eat some of this probable every day.

I just checked some prices for Potassium Ferrocyanide. I saw from a dollar a pound to over 100. So keep this in mind. I bought a pound in about 1960 for 1 $, and still have 70 % of it left.

Anyway....ANYWAY, this is just the way that I am seeing these things...now. I hope to learn more tomorrow. Sure, I realize that YouTubes are questionable, but isn’t everything in life. The trick is to see the differences. With most of the good ones for me is that they give me the idea and I can usually improve and shorten things.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#368 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:08 pm

DSC_0018.JPG
I am not a prude...I would not be ashamed to wear these to a pistol match with others wearing their 250 dollar set. These work just fine for me. I took an old pair of discarded eye glasses, coated with a black felt tip pen and drilled a small hole in the right lens. One may be surprised how well they work.

Eyes, yes I will never get over how well I like my new eyes, my bionic eyes. I Just thought that corrective lens were a pain in the.... I put up with them for maybe 15 years. And then 15 years ago I had some new eyes put in. I am reticent in recommending anything...but I do not know why one would not rather have these than wear regular glasses. I have a little better than 20-20 to infinity. And it took only 15 minutes for each eye. I waited for over a month after the first...just because. I have always danced to a different drummer. The principle is simple.

Anyway.....yaaa for DIY....

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#369 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:59 am

STRICTLY OFF TOPIC - - And just incidental....I liked Newfoundland – crime was just unheard of...at one time there were 170 some inmates in the Provincial prison. No one locked their homes, well I never saw any. One time there was a small grocery store next to where this girl lived and late at night I notice that it was lit with one light bulb and the door was ajar. And she said that oh they never locked the door so anyone could go in and get something and write it a pad and pay for it later. This was in St. Johns, the capital city of Newfoundland, population 75 thousand. And, I don’t recall any lighted street traffic light, and only one service station with two gasoline pumps and they closed about 9 or 10 in the evening...Two movie theaters and no such thing as a super market....maybe three or four bars and I walked into only two in the 2 and half years that I was there and never had a beer in either one. Now this just has to sound strange to one that hasn’t been there. Later oil was found off-shore and everything was changed.

In the link of pictures there is one of a small car on a narrow road, that was built later after I left...the only road to the town of English Harbour East. Notice the water falls in the background - there are many of these with the same name, Pissin Mary's Falls. This town was the home town of the girl, who I married later in Reno Nevada.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=en ... 129&ch=585

Newfoundland is big on their music -https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ne ... &FORM=VDRE

My wife grew up playing the guitar and she could sing and yodel – not in a band – just around the house. She is still kickin in Phoenix at 84.

The newfy ugly stick...https://www.bing.com/search?q=The%20new ... 42DC819991
Last edited by OLDGUNNER1 on Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#370 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:11 pm

Cattus Borealis wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:35 pm
Nice revolver and pistol!
I have an older one (musket) that is not so nice - made in the Harper's Ferry Arsenal.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#371 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11 am

DSC_0002.JPG
This is my DCM IBM Carbine and I have shot it many times since 1959 and as I recall I have not had a single malfunction. Years ago I posted on a forum of a five shot 100 yard group that I shot with it that measured 2 1/4 inches with just the original sights as pictured. And a guy answered back that this was impossible....He had a Master’s Rating of umty-ump and these carbines were not that accurate. Just an example of some people that are running around loose.

I have always wondered just why this same simple design could not be used for any medium or high powered rifle.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#372 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:49 am

Scan.BMP.jpg
This is the mountain just behind us maybe eight miles and it is on the Continental Divide. This Photo represents just what it looks like from here. My wife and neighbor lady hiked up it one time but I have been only up it maybe two thirds of the way hunting one day and a mountain lion let me know that I was in its territory by giving out with a loud warning.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#373 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:19 pm

DSC_0009.JPG
This is the mountain just behind us maybe eight miles and it is on the Continental Divide. This Photo represents just what it looks like from here. My wife and neighbor lady hiked up it one time but I have been only up it maybe two thirds of the way hunting one day and a mountain lion let me know that I was in its territory by giving out with a loud warning. The top picture I just took this morning.
There is a lot of ‘Gold Telluride’ around here with new mines operating every time that I go up that way. There were thousands of old gold mines in Colorado that were closed by FDR at the begging of WW2 because he determined that the work force as nonessential for the war effort. And for the most part are still closed. The biggest area still working is the Cripple Creek area. It is easier to just get a new claim on Federal land than buy the old gold claims.

The gold of Pagosa Peak...It has been pretty well documented and authenticated that for a few years on the west side of this mountain that the Spaniards operated a gold run from here to Spain until they came to odds with the local Indians. They left after they filled the shaft and then maybe Spain lost the land or whatever. There are all kinds of local storied as could be expected. But a metal detector that will go to 15 feet 30 years ago cost 50,000...I don’t know what they go for today. Yes, just where surface gold was found did they bother to set up a mine – the same today. Look at that Cripple Creek area - A big operation. The other big gold area is the ‘Bonanza’ area. We went up there one day with my 480 dollar metal detector and it just went crazy anywhere...but I found out that it does not give the depth and all the soil is so mineralized that this detector will not indicate whether it is detecting a refrigerator sized hunk at 10 feet or a pea sized at 10 inches.

The source of the Rio Grande River is just the other side of the mountain and that is were some of the moose hang out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cripple_C ... _Gold_Mine
Scan.BMP.jpg

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#374 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:31 pm

For all you people back east or where ever that are saying that lead wheel weights are hard to find, why not just use the zinc WW's?

Mashuga
United States of America

#375 Post by Mashuga » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:17 pm

I'm lucky as a local, small car service shop gives me their wheel weights. I got a batch back around February and the majority is still lead. Second most is steel and then zinc. I get far more steel than zinc. I do save the zinc and recycle the steel. I haven't done anything with the zinc yet and don't know if I'll ever mess with it. I've been saving it for about 3 or 4 years and probably only have about 15-20 lbs. I have read of people using zinc to cast bullets but I get enough lead to meet my needs.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”