Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#151 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Dec 25, 2018 2:14 pm

Scan.BMP-001.jpg
This is the first bar out side the main gate of area 51.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#152 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Dec 25, 2018 3:56 pm

Tet Offensive 68 –https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tet_Offensive

I was there...fact is the very first shots of the Tet was fired right over my head, three feet. Gen. Westmoreland, the US military commander at the time said that his ‘intelligence officers’ told him that the North Vietnamese were going to ‘stand down’ for the ‘Holidays’...and he told all of the US troops in Vietnam to not worry, there was to be a moratorium and not to fire on any VC or North Vietnamese during this time.

So....this exmarine co worker of mine said hey we can go down south and visit his hooker girl friend on the evening before the beginning of Tet at midnight. So we did...she happened to live right across a dirt road from the only commercial radio station tower in DaNang. So here is was about ten in the evening when some sappers snuck in to blow up the radio tower before midnight, and they knew they were going to try to take over DaNang and DaNang Air Base. We made it back to the base but spent the rest of the night in a bunker not more than 50 to 75 feet from the front lines with a marine every 3 feet shooting all night long. Luckily they had not planned their attack too well. And Gen. Westmorland was fired because of his blunder.

And this pre-Tet action is mentioned in the link article above.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#153 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:16 pm

TET
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=fi ... ORM=VDQVAP

This was their Xmas like holidays...I was just in the US Embassy in Saigon for a couple of days just about a week before this and had went back to DaNang. A co-worker had been sent to Hue and just happened to have left there before the fighting stated there. Another co-worker said that he was just walking along and a VC 5 inch rocket came down and stuck in the ground 15 feet from him – it was dud. But he was later killed in a US COD plane. I looked at some of the ages and some of you should have been there at the time. I had a room mate and he was killed by a VC mortar. And I volunteered to go there just for the experience and the money. There was a little chapel 75 feet from our work site and I went to work one day and it had been hit by a rocket over night and blown up and I didn’t even know it. I had heard the rocket attack of course but didn’t know what had been hit. Just to give you an idea how callused some had become, I was playing poker with some marines that evening and the lights went out and over the loud speakers came the, “incoming – incoming”. And we lit some candles and kept on playing when everyone else were in their bunkers. But I knew how accurate they were with their rockets and they were rocketing the flight line a half a mile away. https://www.bing.com/search?q=rocket%20 ... nang&sc=1-

This rocket attack was the very one that was on the night we were playing poker. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDdIdT9pd3s The ammunition dump was right across the road from our work site and the burning ammo brass kept hitting our building for the next couple of days. All of the damage in the video was along the flight line. Notice the camera man mentioned how accurate the rockets were. I have a picture of the ammo dump burning before I went to sleep. I’ll try to find the picture.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Hu%E1%BA%BF

No kidding...no one was there?
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#154 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Dec 25, 2018 9:03 pm

Scan-001.BMP.jpg
Yes,that is the ammo dump burning that night a half a mile away along with all the other stuff in the video - that is me in front of my deluxe housing with bunker which I spent a few nights in. I would never go in first because the snakes liked to live in there also. One thing that one had to be aware of was riding the bike at night and running over a snake that may get tangled in the bike and become perturbed. There were the snakes that they called the 'One Stepper'...get bit and you had only one step left...and you were dead. No, that wasn't really true. But one can imagine all of that crawling around in the jungle. That is one reason why the marines loved those navy corpsman with their anti-snake stuff.
The only war damage that I had was one night I got caught in the middle of a rocket attack and got a small cut on my leg scrambling down a hill side to get to a ditch. The fire arms that I had were a S&W 38 snub-nose, one .30 cal M2 carbine and an M3 .45.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#155 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:15 am

Scan.BMP-001.jpg
Remember...if one talks nice to a bear or deer, they will respond in kind.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#156 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:38 am

Scan.BMP.jpg
In my first Operation’s Squadron in the Air force we had three of these B-17’s and ten C-47’s. And after every Major Overhaul usually one from our shop would go up with the test-flight. This was at TorBay AB in Newfoundland and the Canadians had their Lancasters that would come and go.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#157 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Scan.BMP-001.jpg
One time four of us co-workers were in India and one the guys said, hey let's walk to Mount Everest. Well one other took him up on it but after one days walk went back to Kathmandu. After five days walk from Kathmandu the guy made it. And took such a clear picture...Doesn't it look like one could just run right up the thing. I had this picture made from his 35 mm slide and the photo shop mess it up with a couple of bad spots but if one could clear these, they would have one supper good shot of Mount Everest.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#158 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:24 pm

Scan-001.BMP.jpg
I just came across this picture - I think it's nice. I tryied to get our dog to do it but not so.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#159 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:52 pm

Scan-001.BMP.jpg
BARREL LIFE...
I know that a lot of people will not agree with this so this is just, “For what it’s worth." It is from my AMERICAN RIFLEMAN. May be hard to read. You may be able to make it larger.

Just like I like to think - Accuracy increased though 14,000 rounds - The smoother the barrel the more better....Of course this is just one test, but I like it. Just stay away from 'hot' loads and don't burn up the throats.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#160 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:45 pm

A Ford -

This is the first type of plane that I flew in. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Trimotor

And on the same day I saw this guy die, he hit the ground about 100 feet from me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gypsy_Moths
Although the book was written as a novel, it was written based on a true incident which I saw on a 4th of July weekend, I guess was July 1939, and it did not happen in Kansas, it happened at the Ottumwa, Iowa municiple airport about a mile from where we lived. And the ‘Gypsy Moth’ title I assume came along after the incident, probable at the time the book was written.
The guy that was killed was billed as the Batman, one of the first to experiment with a winged gliding suit, and it was said at the time that his parachute become tangled with his suit and had nothing to do with the book or Hollywood.

And there was one of the new P-38’s there, painted green. I recall reading that the P-38 was the first airplane to exceed the speed of sound, in England, some time during WW2.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#161 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:55 pm

I have been reading for hours about the P-38 and on what I could find out about the P-38 breaking the sound barrier, and this is the first thing that I have seen about it today. I remember as a kid hearing about it. And later in some Lockheed history where they talk about it being so. But I think that the story may have gotten its start with the incident mentioned in this link, http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p38_13.html down about half way starting with...’In March of 1944 Col Benjamin Kelsey......720 mph’. We must realize that all articles are not necessarily fact. The part about the airspeed indicator may not be right, etc. With my two years working at Lockheed, not for Lockheed, this was mentioned some times. My first job out of the Air Force was with Douglas Aircraft and some of it was with a small wind tunnel and lots of air speed indicators and Mach Indicators, etc. Well, I know enough that one should just not believe every thing on the web....of course not, maybe not much. When it mentions ‘Later’ it was found...how much later ???? Was it really found ???? For years it was accepted that the Italians made the first flying Jet aircraft, and then some say it was Germany, but they kept it a secret for so long. No one knows anything for sure....that can be chiseled in stone.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#162 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:58 am

I wonder why some will read something and then just ‘know’ that to be true, isn’t that funny? And then some will even ‘will’ things to be true just because they think it to be true.
The first night of a chemistry class one time the instructor told this story...The dean of a college started his graduation speech with, “You all have learned a lot of facts in the past four years but we know that only half are true, and half are not. But we don’t know which is which.” The instructor was telling us that don’t argue with what I say. Chemistry is mostly ‘Theory’, not proven. But provides tools to use in life to help solve problems. I took the high school chemistry and then four semesters of college chemistry...and I will accept that chemistry is mostly Theory. The parts that are not are such as, ‘if one does this, this will happen’. But we have to accept the ‘why’ as only theory. Now this is just the way that I believe these things – what someone else may believe is up to them. There is a word in English that means, “No one knows anything for sure.” But I have forgotten it. For example, if one sees something as a building one day and then the next day if not there to it see again, does not know for sure it is there. It may have burned down during the night. And for heaven’s sake, don’t just repeat something as known fact, just because it has been read somewhere. Wasn’t it Samuel Clemens that said, “Don’t believe anything that you read and only half of what you see.”? Well, maybe we shouldn’t believe this just because we may have read it, huh. I know, it is a conumdrum. The writers of history are the winners.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#163 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:16 pm

Oh yes – What gets us into trouble is not what we don’t know, but it’s what we know for sure that just ain’t so. Samuel Clemens again...MAYBE :o Not sure...
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#164 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:33 pm

And, And....Be it understood that the only thing that I say is known for sure to be true is if I say that I did it or it happened to me....okay.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#165 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:47 pm

DSC01052-001.JPG
DSC01052-001.JPG (9.35 KiB) Viewed 2342 times
Okay, here is one guy that wasn't impressed with me talking nice and his, or her looks told me not to push it. If it was a she and she had a cub behind her all bets would be off. They actually change their looks when they want to be friendly - just like a dog....usually.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”