Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#211 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:01 pm

RAMBLING # 12

DUMBING DOWN – As I was saying about progress on this in the US. Has one seen on the current news about the SAT test results being modified with an ‘Adversary score’ to ‘level the playing field’? Now I don’t know who or what is behind this but is easy to see the reason. It is to allow less talented and prepared students into the colleges and universities. Since all test result are graded on the curve, there will be more College majors in ‘Parks and Recreation’ and Yachting and other so-called basket weaving courses and less engineering and other hard science graduates. There are too few now. The Chinese and other foreign students are taking up those seats now. There are too many parents now that are satisfied with their children just getting a college degree in anything, even though there is a good chance that they may end up selling insurance or real-estate. I think that there should be list of ‘good’ majors for a student to be eligible for student loans....but I would be outvoted on this for sure. The powers to-be in education would not like me. When I went to college if your grade point average ever dropped below a ‘C’, you were gone, no questions about it. I remember an old college saying, “ There is nothing wrong with a gentleman’s C.” Well let me tell you there can be and usually is. If one is competing for a serious job it is better to have a degree from Stanford than Slippery Elm U.

My son had a son that he ‘persuaded’ into medical school. He wouldn’t admit it but my grandson and I knew better. It was some kind of six year school with no summer breaks. He was a smart kid but medical school was too much for him. He didn’t want it to begin with. He soon learned that girls and other extra curricular activities were more to his liking. My son paid for private grade school and high school and Karate lessons up to some degree of Brown Belt but what really impressed me more was that he played in every college Soccer game for his four years of regular college. Not just played but for every second of every game. Now that is what he said. He joined the Air Force and was given his choice of jobs and is now working with NASA in Fairbanks Alaska.

When I arrived in Japan for the first time in 1966 a six day school week was the norm. I don’t know what it is today, and their teachers sure take pride in their work. Every morning they show up for work looking emasculate and all children dressed nicely, unlike here. Look at our teachers now-a-days. When I went to school all women teachers wore dresses – now what?

If one makes a chart showing the line for a five day school week to a three day week and extend that line, it hits zero how soon – that is what is in our future if the trend continues. Someone will say that school is no longer necessary since home computers can be used...wait and see, but I won’t be here.

But ‘Dumbing Down’ is here to stay, and gaining in popularity, you betcha. Who is doing this? The parents and others elect our law makers, so who is to blame? I shant be too specific here can I?

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#212 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri May 17, 2019 6:04 pm

I know that it is hard to do, but can someone help me with 'selecting' a photo from my Picasa photo album to post on this forum? I use to be able to do it but it has quite working, for me. Of course it is some little step. It's hard to successfully explain things like this I know with back and forth internet. Once I get it 'selected' things will work. Using personal messaging may work. I have tried most of the help sites on this but to no avail. Thank you.

Okay, I have been Dumbed Down here.

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#213 Post by Cattus Borealis » Fri May 17, 2019 6:24 pm

They emasculate teachers in Japan! Ouch! (just kidding..I just found that funny.)

The dumbing down was done on purpose here. More people going to college means more social indoctrination and long-term debt. Support the system and you receive free child care up until age 18. Logic and Classical Philosophy were cut because they point to the system's inherent flaws. Life has become a meaningless game without purpose or direction. Students know it is a big game.

I would go as far as to say that the average American only needs K-8th grade education with some vocational training. Most countries only educate the portion of the population that is capable of using higher education.

Much of the troubles in school is due to the breakdown of the family structure in the 40's-80's due to the sexual revolution and subsequent societal decay.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#214 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:22 pm

Oh my gosh – I meant to say immaculate instead of emasculate. No, no, no, the women in Japan would never sound emasculating - even if some would think it. They just automatically revere the man. One can say it is just part of their culture. And I wouldn’t say to a fault. Here the wife after a while tends to feel equal...WOW, did I say that? When did that start? Freedom of speech isn’t something universally accepted, I know.

Anyway you agree that we are being Dumbed Down. Can you offer a ‘by who’? I offered the ‘why’. I can usually come up with an opinion on anything, but some don’t care for other’s opinions. Now Pol Pot in Cambodia agreed with you on the K - 8th grade thing. And trump made a comment on that – maybe we need more trade schools. And after giving a couple of minutes to think about it, you and he may be right. And...I will agree with you both. That would be great if dictators could be more thoughtful and do that nicely. But good dictators are hard to come by and don’t usually work out either.

Okay, I can offer a ‘by who’. Dumbed Down people are Dumbed Down by people that have already been Dumbed Down. I can watch the news on TV and see where a whole lot of our congressional representatives have made it.

And as far as emasculating goes, we have a much higher percentage of wives killing their husbands here than in Japan. I’ll bet by a lot.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/64054/9- ... an-schools Look at number 8...Wouldn’t it be great if our systems would allow that to be instituted. That would be something to be proud of. And, I would think that there would be enough to support here in the US a system of special Saturday Math tutoring schools, both public and private.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#215 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:51 pm

I saw where someone was asking about reloading data with 5066. I have some of that and reloading data for the 7.35 Terni.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#216 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:14 pm

Scan.BMP (2).jpg
Okay, I think that I can do it now - post photos

If some one really wants to have some real fun, find some way to fly one of these planes some how. I couldn't take the smile off my face for the rest of the day. The guy offered to sell it to me for an even 100,000 but I wouldn't go that far. I didn't go up by myself, of course I couldn't, I lost my license years ago and was never checked out in these anyway. This was maybe eight years ago.

Cattus Borealis
United States of America

#217 Post by Cattus Borealis » Fri May 17, 2019 9:25 pm

The US has long been an Oligarchy. Basically the Banks and Government have merged at this point. This process clearly started in the early Progressive Era under Roosevelt and later Wilson. W.J. Bryant said after losing the 1900 Presidential Election that the next war would be with Germany. He was correct in many ways.

Atomized, hyper-individualized people are easier to control with debt, cheap consumer items, welfare, entertainment, poor education and sex. Wages have been stagnant since at least the 70s for the working class. Entry level working jobs disappeared with Bush I and Clinton (NAFTA). The centrists liquidated the working class in the 1990s. In terms of Philosophy, Look up Michel Focault's "deal with the Devil." to surmise, the radical left became the tools of oligarchs. The Oligarchs gave unbridled sexual licence in regards to moral law.... in exchange the left gave up on the working class. (Identity Politics rather than class politics). As the Mayor of Berlin, Klaus Wowereit would say we are "poor but sexy."

Sub-urbanization in the 1950s was a deliberate program to destroy traditionalist ethnic neighborhoods which were political centers against progressive policies. It largely worked.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#218 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:35 pm

[attachment=1

These are some of my round-ball molds that I have made out of wood and things. I have made hundreds of balls before they burn out. Use HARD wood.
Attachments
DSC_0010.JPG

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#219 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:10 pm

Has anyone come across any information on changing a .22 Sporting chamber to or closer to a Target chamber? Here is the only thing that I can think of. Unscrew the barrel, take a little off the receiver end of the barrel and screw it back in. Now if the front end of the barrel has a place for a front sight – act accordingly, or whatever. And I can’t think of just why .22 Rim fires act like this and regular center fires don’t. I realize that I am not considering all of the aspects. But I don’t know what I don’t know.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#220 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:35 pm

Would anyone be interested in buying this. It is too pretty for me to use for hunting and I wouldn't be hunting anyway. It was made in either 1913 or 1917, I forget. I did fire it maybe a dozen times for Jack Rabbit shooting when I lived in Palmdale, California 58 years ago. That little speck of white in the picture is not on the finish - it just got into the photo some how. it shows no wear that I can see.
Attachments
DSC_0008.JPG

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#221 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri May 17, 2019 10:52 pm

DSCN0037.JPG
Here is our nice 14 year old over weight doggy that loves to run. When I figure out how to make and post a video of her doing it I will.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#222 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:29 pm

DSC_0019.JPG
Just another way of making molds. I found that they must be very dry and hard otherwise they will weep from the hot lead. The bullet in the foreground is from another mold that I made.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#223 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:46 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
[

Some co-workers and I were in India one time and one said, "Hey, anyone want to hike to Mount Everest with me." One started but backed out after three days of the five day hike, one way. And he took this picture. Have you ever seen such a good picture of Mount Everest? Doesn't it look like one could just walk right up the hill? And no, you won't find this photo anywhere else. It was taken by Dennis Carnige, a co-worker in the 80's.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#224 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:29 am

DSC01052-001.JPG
DSC01052-001.JPG (12.44 KiB) Viewed 1312 times
Myla, our dog gets along just fine with deer. Some how the deer recognize that Myla is their friend, but does not like the bear and chases them.
Attachments
DSC01053.JPG
Last edited by OLDGUNNER1 on Sat May 18, 2019 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

OLDGUNNER1
United States of America

#225 Post by OLDGUNNER1 » Sat May 18, 2019 12:36 am

Scan.BMP.jpg
And I can get along with any 'black' bear - one just has to talk nice to them. They know the difference between nice and not nice. I have to clarify this. The mama bear just doesn't like anyone with her cub around.

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”