Well, the board is either fixed, or it's going to run terribly. Cross your fingers and hope for the best. I'm at my technical limit right now.

SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

Re: SOME THOUGHTS ON ACCURACY & OTHERS

#91 Post by OLDGUNNER » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:13 pm

Can one imagine all of the apple pie, apple pandowdy, apple sauce cake and dried apples with Splenda from an 18 inch apple tree. We have already picked three 5 gallon buckets from it. Oh yes, apple pancake syrup, apple jelly and apple leather.
DSC_0052.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#92 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:38 pm

IN PASSING - - Here is something that I found out years ago but this is the first time that I have seen where anyone else has realized it and published it. Just a week ago I ordered another set of five on eBay for 3 $. Now of course one can only guess of the quality of the ‘Carbide’, but to me it doesn’t really matter....3 dollars, where if I was to buy one of known (advertised) quality at a local tool store I could pay 30 to 50 dollars each.
I have never had any of the Masonry bits fail me...but sharpening can be a mother. Fact is, I just passed a Youtube video on sharpening carbide and I have to go back and find it. If the Chinese would just make the cheap carbide centering bits, they would sell like...well...better than Hot-cakes. It didn't come through too good - clicking on it makes it better to read. In the past I have bought bunches of the cheap carbide lathe bits for 10 and 15 cents and I think that I have broken one - now they can be one dollar and up.

DSC_0053.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#93 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:43 am

Does one notice how often one sees 'your' used instead of 'you’re or you are' ? I wonder why. https://www.bing.com/search?q=use%20of% ... D48FDFDED9
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#94 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:50 pm

FOR WHAT IT'S WORTH -- Okay – There will be an unlimited number of ways to refinish a gun stock and I have tried a bunch of them. In the late 50’s I came across ‘LinSpeed oil’, George Brother’s LinSpeed Oil. At the time it was around 4 $ for a 2 ounce jar. Now it looks like it can be 8.95 per 2 ounce jar - not too bad of a an increase, but this comes out to 573 dollars a gallon. I don’t know about for others but this is high-end pricy to me.

But I think that this is the best that I have come across in stock refinishing. The main advantage is that it is a straight oil finish and not a varnish which will crack and peel over time. Sure vanish is easy to apply and cheap which most all of the other stocks finishes are – varnish. Just because it is labeled a ‘Tung Oil finish’, or an ‘Oil’ finish does not mean it is mainly Tung Oil, it is still a varnish. It may have a teaspoon of Tung Oil in 100 gallon. With a varnish I found out a long time ago for me that it was hard to remove a scratch, to get a color match. With just LinSpeed Oil I can just sand or buff out the scratch and reapply some LinSpeed Oil...really, really a simple fix. And as for Tung Oil any way, I find absolutely no reason to mess with Tung Oil to begin with – I have tried. But now I recall that I have read where hot Tung Oil was used on some WW2 rifle stocks by just dunking in a 55 gallon drum of Tung Oil and let dry. I now assume that the Tung Oil had been Polymerized by heating...as well as the Linseed Oil when used.

I have right now only three or so stocks that I have finished with LinSpeed Oil in the late 50’s and they look just as good now as when I did them. Bill White has come out with a YouTube on his ‘LinSpeed Oil’. I have talked with him on the phone and he is a real nice guy, a really real nice guy...but 573 dollars a gallon makes it a specialty item that can be hard to find. I think maybe he is the Son-In-Law of one of the original George Brothers. A lot of retailers just won’t bother with it because of the price. https://www.lin-speed.com/linspeed-inst ... -to-video/ But I used his finish in a different way – just in a more detailed way.

I have tried and tried to duplicate his LinSpeed Oil with no successes. Now I am experimenting with this again and I think that I am on to something. I think, just think that if I just wash it and then heavily polymerize the linseed oil and add just enough mineral spirits to get a good working viscosity, it may work. Here is a video on washing linseed oil, but I will not go through all of the experimenting this guy did. I will just do it in a few days. http://realcolorwheel.com/washlinseed.htm This guy sure made a detailed YouTube.

And temperature accuracy can be stressed in polymerizing to get a repeatable product but this can be over looked as far as I am concerned. I understand that maximum polymerizing is done at just below the flash point of the oil – I don’t know if this is true or not but I will start with this. But I can use just any non-accurate thermometer. I can find the flash point of an oil, and this will vary by product lot, by just heating with a regular hot plate to the point of flashing and reading a thermometer, and then just heating at a point just under this ‘flash point’ using the same thermometer for maximum polymerizing. And then maybe, maybe maximum polymerizing can be done with a pressure cooker to get a higher temperature – I don’t know. Now that I think of it, I can just heat the linseed oil until it does flash, and put a lid on the pan to put the flame out and just lower the heat slightly and polymerize the dickens out of the oil....why not? I will try.

Regular raw Linseed Oil at Walmart seems to be $14.96 a gallon. Now this to me is a lot more economical than most gun stock finishes on the market – this is called ‘free enterprise’ and is just fine with me. And I keep looking at my wife’s Canola Oil from Walmart at 6.49 a gallon...and I understand that most of the non-petroleum Polyurethanes may be made from Canola oil. So, I have to see if I can polymerize this and see what I may get. Some may think that Canola Oil is made from a Canola Plant, but I see that the ‘Can’ is from Canada and the ‘ola’ is from the ola in Mazola oil. I see where it is a GMO product from the Rapeseed, and Rapeseed Oil has an old history of paints used by painter’s of past...and I see no reason that it can’t be used now in more modern times – we will see.

I realize that ‘Stand Oil’ was made at one time with lead lined thin pans and left to ‘Stand’ in the sun. At our altitude here at 8175 feet the sun should sure make Stand Oil much quicker and I can use just chopped up Wheel Weights, rather than go out and buy lead oxide. I have lots of iron oxide so I could try that too. I gather that there are a number of ways of making polymerized gun stock finishing oils and most are made with just a few standard ways – heating, treating with metallic compounds, usually just the oxides, Blown Oils and Stand Oils. And then I think that the good stuff may be made with the ‘washed’ linseed oil...I think, I don’t know. It just seems to me that it would be a more clear finish. And maybe that is why the ‘LinSpeed Oil’ is so expensive – maybe just washed and heated. If this is the case it maybe easy to duplicate.

I just saw one going price for Rapeseed Oil at 2.44 a gallon, world market and Linseed from that Alibaba outfit at 18 cents a gallon for 5 barrels minimum order. Look at what linseed oil prices can do with starting out at 18 cents a gallon. For Linseed Oil at 18 cents a gallon to 573 dollars a gallon for LinSpeed Oil...now that is free enterprise. Actually Linseed oil is a good nutritional food source as a lot of Russians found out during WW2.

Anywho-----Bill White’s video instructions should work just fine but at the time I had no idea where to start. I did it this way...I took two teaspoons of LinSpeed Oil and mixed with an equal amount of mineral spirits. I applied the very thin coats, as he says, just with finger dabs worth until the four teaspoons were used. Each evening after work I would apply the next coat. Then I started with the full strength and here is where I think a lot of difference comes in...I had made a little piece of wood 1 inch by 2 inches by 1/2 of an inch, and cut up 3 M 400 wet-and-dry into one inch strips. I would take a piece of it say almost three inches long and fold onto the wood piece and with wet LinSpeed Oil, sand the surface of the stock. After a few more coats of the oil, I would do the same thing. The idea being to try to get the surface as level and smooth as I could. When there were no more shiny spots after sanding - another 2 or 3 coats. I would do this at least 3 more times and end up with applying maybe 20 coats in all with most of these sanded off or smoothed level with just the last 3 or so coats as a final finish. And another thing, I would actually never do the same thing twice, always a little different.

Now I have to get busy and make some polymerized oils....

I heated about 2 ounces of Canola Oil to 640 degrees F, measured with my non-contact thermometer. And after a thin coat on wood it dried pretty much after ten or so minutes. I realized what was happening, I think. I have always tried to come up with something that dried within a reasonable time, which plain linseed oil would not. I applied about 5 coats of my Canola Oil in about an hour. The makers of The boiled linseed oil usually add the metallic polymerizers just to make the product more usable, AND more controllable and predictable. I really don’t care if takes an hour or 24 hours to dry, I can live with either...but I think, I think now that I have done it and thought about it, I think that it is more clear to me. A product that will polymerize too quickly when used will not have a sufficient shelf life. One can imagine a can of something that is polymerized so much that it will solidify in the can too quickly will not be of much use. Soooo, if my thinking is correct, I simple take a small amount of the oil and polymerize it and use it relatively soon. I will find out the shelf-life of my polymerized Canola Oil and be able to understand this more clearly.

If everything works out okay I foresee a stock finishing oil that I can heat to various temperatures and get a proportional varying drying time, the higher the temperature and the more heat, should help me get a quicker drying time. This normally would not be something that could be left up to a customer, so the merchandiser can just choose a compromising drying time for his product. But for my use, I will just heat a small usable amount at a time. I will just be interested in a drying time between coats, within reason, the shorter the better. It all seems so simple and easy to me at this time....AT THIS TIME.

And this solves another problem for me, covering and coloring my cast bullets without lube grooves. it is simple to make cast bullet molds without the lube grooves. I can make an epoxy of sorts with this well polymerized linseed oil and add some melted pine tree sap and cover the cast bullets. I have tried to use the cheap aniline dyes with the polyurethanes and it doesn’t work for me. And now I see where there is a lot of cheap Chinese epoxy dyes on eBay. I assume that these dyes will also work with alcohol to dye the stocks themselves. But the aniline dyes work on the wood just fine.

That Canola Oil is just so much clearer than Linseed Oil...the Linseed Oil may be just as clear after I wash some – we will see. Walmart does sell raw linseed oil in lesser amounts than a gallon. A gallon would last me more than the rest of my life time.

The old saying that the more one learns, the less they know is sure correct.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#95 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:54 pm

DSC_0054.JPG
Okay – My polymerizing of the Canola Oil needs further experimenting and testing. I misinterpreted the reason my oil was drying quickly. I had tried it on different new virgin wood surfaces...it was just soaking in leaving a dried surface. Once it had built up 3 or 4 coats, it no longer dried quickly. Fact is it is still wet after setting over night...so it is way back to the drawing board with this.

But I came across this----The picture of the flock of birds. I have seen these in Australia, fact is I recall they were Parrots. Anyway, I had a psychology teacher one time that used these examples and balls of fish to explain Mental Telepathy. One may notice that these flocks of birds will make a turn as a group....all at once. One end of the flock will make a turn at the same time as the other end – no wave action as one just following the one next to it as some bird flocks do. As a kid I notice that the regular local Black Birds had not developed this ability and just appeared to follow the one next to it and their turns as a flock had the typical wave action. And I was a scuba diver and I have seen the fish balls do this same thing – not all fish, just some. And there were usually one or two fish that were not paying attention and did not make the turn as ‘told’. Now how could these fish balls all make the same turn at the same time, whether it was a 15 or 45 or 90 degree turn or even 180 degrees – all at the same time? I can just imagine the head honcho of the ball or bird flock telling the group to, “Alright guys, lets make a 45 degree turn to the right and a 20 degrees up.” Just by a form of mental telepathy. And do it so quickly, one turn right after the other. I can see this with the deer here, the mother can tell their fawn what to do when they are not able to see each other, and if they are doing it vocally, it sure is not within my hearing range. And the adults seem to have a way of communicate with each other, and it appears to me to be of a short range type, like 75 feet max.

And to further muck this up, this Psychology teacher said that he could communicate with his mother this way – just his mother. At the time, I didn’t know what to think...heck, I still don’t. As all those zillion other things that are out there and beyond me. As a person has to have a way different attitude to study Astro-Physics. One time at work a coworker said that he had seen an estimate of the number of grains of sand in our known universe. And I said I wonder what the number of atoms would be in our universe. I came up with a number and....and, later someone saw where someone had done this and it differed by one digit of my number. Yes, by just one digit. The other estimate was either 1 X 10 to the 78th or 79th...and mine was the other, I forget which. I wonder what it is today.

At the time the Australians were studying this with the birds and I wonder if they have come up with anything.

Anywho, it is back with boiling some oil with me.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#96 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:31 pm

https://educationblog.oup.com/secondary ... e-universe

There is some sloppy (abbreviated) math here but I do notice an estimate of 10 to the 78th to 10 to the 82nd of atoms in our universe, by someone. Can one just imagine the number of galaxies with all of that ‘STUFF’ out there. To me it is just plain mind boggling – how can a simple mind comprehend these things? I have a couple of telescopes so I can see just some of it...so it has to be there. But still it is mind boggling to me.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#97 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:12 pm

This is a short video of where your lead for your bullets may have come from. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HhdkkdsvTM
A neighbor kid in my high school class was a Mining Engineer that worked in some of these mines and I went to visit him in the eighties but it was after these mines were closed. So I didn’t have a chance to tour one. The mines were closed due to environmental reasons mainly from the fumes from the smelters, and the sludge from the refining. After that most of our lead came from foreign sources. He said that the whole area had all of the lead and silver that we and the rest of the world could ever use. One time I took a tour of what was said to be the second largest gold mine in Asia, with 40,000 workers, with 10,000 underground around the clock. At the time the deepest part was 4,000 feet under ground. I’ll try to check to see how deep they are now.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#98 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:21 pm

The Philippine gold mining other than in the regular gold mines is what could be called just plain ridicules. There is plenty of gold there, the whole length of the islands, gold every where...but one here can not really understand how it is done there. A lot of it is done like can be seen from a picture of a guy with a cheap plastic tube stuck in their mouth and going down say 30 or more feet in completely dark muddy water and muck out some mud and put into a bucket...let it be pulled up and panned. They don’t even keep track of the people killed in doing this. And a lot of the more surface mining is done by kids, say in 10 or so feet of water. Why kids some may ask, because there are plenty of them. And one may wonder why a foreigner can’t go over there and do it in a more logical and humane manner. I’ll let you guess on that.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#99 Post by OLDGUNNER » Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:18 pm

DSC_0055.JPG
Okay yesterday I fiddled with the regular BOILED LINSEED OIL and CANOLA OIL and ended up with six different little samples. But I did not label them or take any notes, and therefor I ended up with this one useful sample that after four light coats dried in 20 hours over night on untreated wood. I just heated the dickens out of all of it – up to six hours. I had two Hot Plates going. And I don’t know if this one was with Linseed Oil or Canola Oil. I feel that I have a pretty good handle on the wood dyeing so I want to get this finish drying time down to 6 hours or less.
I know that I can get some nice looking finishes with the varnishes such as ‘Formby’s Tung Oil Finish’, but a varnish is a varnish and I am going to just concentrate on a real oil finish.

I saw here where one guy cheated a little bit and mixed in some Polyurethane with his oil finish and of course I will do the same to try. I saw where some of these ‘refined' and 'purified’ linseed oils can go for as much as 30 or 40 dollars a half a pint. I just want to do my own refining and purifying. I gather that most here are not into stock refinishing and not interested.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#100 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:39 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mucilage

I am beginning to believe that it may be the Mucilage in the linseed oil that may be the main reason for the unclear finish of the regular linseed oil wood finish. I am gathering that the regular 7 dollar a pint BOL that one may buy at Walmart has not been cleaned of the ‘Mucilage’. And this may also be the reason that it takes so long to dry, I don’t know of course...just a feeling right now. And everything that I am reading points to the washing of the oil to help make it more clear and quicker drying as a finish on wood. Now if this is correct, just why has it not been more common knowledge and pointed out before?

This may be the reason that ‘LINSPEED OIL’ does such a good job and it sells for 573 dollars a gallon – it does sell for less in the pints and quarts, I know.

Could it be that regular raw linseed oil can be ‘washed’, washed of the mucilage, and then really boiled for some time, and thereby making a good stock finish? If this is true, then everyone should be able to do it easily. The necessary boiling time can be determined by trial and error...since those that know just hain’t going to tell how it is done. I will sure tell if I get it figured out.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#101 Post by OLDGUNNER » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:50 pm

Scan.BMP.jpg
Just my Buddy--
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#102 Post by OLDGUNNER » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:26 pm

On the news yesterday and today, about the new two month old plane going down off Sumatra. A couple of things that some may not realize, Two types of planes that are not as safe as most are the older ‘high-time’ planes and the new planes that have not been ‘debugged’ as much. Everything in life is a compromise, so...how much debugging should a new plane get....Just another judgment call...everything in our life depends on these. Does the factory fly those planes around for 25 hours before they are turned over to the Airlines or a hundred hours. The buyer has some to say about this. They would have to pay for an unnecessary 75 hours, maybe. Someone has to decide - just another judgment call. I saw where they just brought up the ‘Black Boxes’.

That is only half the story. It is normal for an Airline pilot to do most of his ‘Pilot in Command’ time setting in the seat, drinking coffee with the Auto-Pilot on and their flight log will indicate a 4 hour flight, or what ever, of experience where actually it may just be the first five minutes at take-off and 5 minute at landing and then usually only one of them are true. It is common for the copilot and pilot to do one of each. The plane may be under pilot control for say the full 25 minutes or so to cruising altitude and some approach time, that depends. Of course as a team they have to do all of the preflight stuff. But the point that I am making is that a pilot may be a high-time pilot with a logged 1,500 hours in that plane type with maybe actual real time of what, maybe 150. And here he may be flying a brand new plane with bugs still to be found. I well understand the need for this abnormality. No system if perfect – there can’t be. But....a more safe landing can be made if the pilot has been resting so-to-speak for the last 8 hours rather than at the controls – that’s a given. It is just that this 10,000 hours of experience is misleading. It is just the system. A pilot can be completely worn out after 4 hours at the controls..or sooner.

A pilot in Asia told me one time that he was learning to fly Helicopters and the instructor told him to just fly tethered for 10 minutes and log that in as 1 hour.

I will say that my first flight instructor in 1953 said that he had 44,000 hours and I sure could tell it. He said that at the start of WW2 he a was a non military flight instructor and spent the entire war as a civilian Army Air Force contract instructor and this was probable with little auto-pilot time. He had us do things that now-a-days would not even be taught. Spin recovery, full power landings, full slip landings down to the last five feet, fly down the runway with the tail dragging, he put a six inch wide lime stripe across the run way and we practiced until we could land with the front wheels hitting that stripe. Take off with one front wheel on the ground, both left and right. Shoot, now days this is unheard of. And...and even not allowed to be taught. After one gets their license it is allowed to be taught, but very few bother.

I tried to get my wife to get a Pilots License. No way on that...the Pagosa Air Port is about 7 miles away and it would be so easy but she wasn’t having any part of that.

When I worked for Douglas Air Craft a co worker told me that he worked at the Long Beach Plant and at the height of WW2 they were making 10 C-47’s and 3 B-17’s a day and there were Army crews ready to get in the planes after they had their guns filled with ammo and bomb bays filled with dummy bombs. And if things worked okay out over the channel the pilot accepted the plane over the radio and flew off to their base, with no factory test flight. Now that is flying. When I was in the Air Force they would always ask for volunteers for test flights and I would volunteer every chance I could. Not as part of the flying crew but checking out the radio and navigation gear.

One time in 67 I was offered a job of shake-down runs in Nuclear Subs checking out the navigation gear up-dating after major overhaul, and the thought of the USS Theasher came to mind. That happened right after a major overhaul. I declined that but I took the next offer, it was off to Vietnam.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#103 Post by OLDGUNNER » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Strictly trivia – okay.
A P-51 story---When I worked for Douglas I had a co-worker that was a North American test pilot where they were assembling P-51’s among others, across the street at the NA plant at the edge of the LA Air Port. He said that before the war broke out he came down with Polio and walked on crutches and had a desk job. He was drafted even though he was 4F...but the army had him helped in to a plane and he was able to fly okay so was made a flight instructor and spent the whole war as a Army pilot using crutches. If one may recall at the beginning they were having trouble with flying the C-46’s in Burma over the ‘Hump’. He said that problem was simple, there would be some space left on loading and some young Lieutenant would say, “Hey, fill it up.” I can see this happening. Setting here now one should think this should be an easy fix – just don’t over-load the darn thing, but I saw this more than once when I was in the Air Force, and even with the Navy on the carrier COD planes, (Carrier On Board Delivery). Fact is I had a room mate in the PI that quit his job because he had to fly these COD’s back and forth from the PI to the carriers. For some stupid reason, the navy would let a single ‘Load Master’ determine what would be safe and proper for these flights. Of course the pilot is responsible for his load, but he feels that he can’t complain about some improper loading that the navy has trained a Load Master for. Improperly tied-down loads would shift on the those carrier catapult shots and everyone would be lost. Just a case of, “You takes the money, you takes your chances.” One of the guys was on a COD flight and it fell out of the sky but the pilot was able to regain control before it hit the water. His name was Gordon Bethune. He said that he just told the guy setting next to him, “You know we are going to die.” Well he got out of the navy and I never heard of him after that. His running buddy was my boss for a while and after I retired I looked up my my ex boss and happened to asked him, “Have your ever heard from Gordon Bethune.” And he said, “As a matter of fact I just talked to him on the phone the other day and he is working for Continental Air Lines.” And I said, “Oh, what is he doing?” Well, Continental Air lines actually works for him, he is the CEO. Sure enough, he was the CEO. He was a rather colorful guy and I just looked up his web page...I assume it takes some kind of money to be a CEO of this type and I don’t know how he pulled this off but he was a wheeler and dealer. https://www.bing.com/search?q=gordon+be ... sp=1&ghc=1

Back to the P-51’s - - At the time the WASPS, or women Army Air Force pilots would pick these P-51’s up at the factory and fly them to a base. The P-51’s had a peculiar bad trait. To help them get the longer range, they had a 75 gallon fuel tank right behind the pilot. The problem was if this tank was full and a regular turn was at too much of an angle and the pilot was not well enough trained, they could lose control and spin out. The plane would use 75 gallon an hour so the idea was that the plane should use this 75 gallon first before it had to get into a dog fight – more of the compromise. Now more of reasons known only to some, these planes had their 75 gallon tanks filled and these WASPS would jump in and fly right out over the channel off LA and make a turn to get back and on their way to some base. The LA runways end at the Pacific Ocean. If one has been in the military, they know how these these things happen. More than one WASP had this happen to them and was never heard of.

In 57 a neighbor and I decided to go in to partners and buy a plane. Good P-51’s at time were going for 7,000 dollars and I thought that it would just be cool to buy one. The neighbor had more senses than I...As he said the maintenance would just be overwhelming, which of course it would have been.

One of Eisenhower's blunders come to mind every time I see the landings on TV...On the Omaha beach landing he decided to have bombers bomb the beach so that that the guys would have the holes to jump into when they landed...but there were no holes. Now any competent flyer in command should realize it would be easier to hit the beach if they bombed flying along the beach rather than across it. But he just told his Air Force guys to do it, and the worse part, didn’t bother to check if this was done correctly. And the bombers didn’t want to get too low to take a chance of being hit by German AA fire so they bombed from high attitude and the bombs fell some five miles inland. That to me is just plain sloppy workmanship, no question about it.

My first father-in-law told me a story. He was a merchant marine on an ammunition ship in WW2 and the standard rule was that no other ship in the convoy would stop and pick up survivors as one ship or more would be torpedoed. He was setting on a ship of munitions when it was hit south of Newfoundland. He found a piece of a wooden pallet to hang on to and he was the only one that survived the 10 days until the next convoy came by and picked him up. Think about it, he had to be one tough guy to withstand that cold water and no water to drink for 10 days. War is hell, I know, but why couldn’t one of the ships thrown over board some life raft with water and food as they went by. Why couldn’t a boat come out to the wreckage from Newfoundland to pick up survivors. To me it just sounds like a complete lack of common sense. I could write a book about that. And be danged if I couldn’t do a better job than that. I have saved two men from emanate death. And had to watch an F-105 pilot die in Vietnam because an Air Force Colonel wouldn’t let us save him. I wrote a letter to President Johnson that night but the next morning I realized that I would probable be fired if I sent it. War is hell.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#104 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:02 pm

Just some more P-51 trivia if interested....I just read that both the P-51 engine and the Bf-109 engine were designed in the same year, 1933. I had a coworker that worked on the Packard Motor Company version in the mid 40’s when the US decided to have a US version of it, but with the more powerful Packard engine. And I see it first flew in 1943. Some may find the P-51 story interesting. One thing that I thought odd was why didn’t they/we have the engine fuel injected. This caused a disadvantage with the 109 which did have. Look at all of the high number of German aces. Now why could these high numbers be. I think that the German Aces simple figured out the advantages of their fuel injected engines and sucked in the allied pilots during a dog fight and...and again for reasons unknown, the Allied Commanders didn’t know enough to teach their pilots not to fall for this trick. Look at Erich Hartmann, 352 victories...Gerhard Barkhorn, 301 victores. Now that kind of flying is not luck. Luck would have run out long before that. I say and I think that some others will agree with me, that those German Aces simple figured out that all they had to do is when they see an enemy plane behind them is go into a dive and hope the other plane will follow them. If the enemy gains on them and is getting close and they are going fast enough, merely pull out the dive and if the non-fuel injected plane tries to follow them their engine will quite often falter, loose power because of their carbureted engine. Merely pull out of the dive, and make a quick turn and the poor guy following has a bad day. I think all of the 109 versions had less power than the US P-51’s. Of course most of the Russian planes were at a disadvantage.

In about 1960 I was working for Litton Industries and one day we suddenly had a new department head, his last name was Messirsmitt. Yes, he was from the same Messirsmitt family.

Just a little engine trivia that some may not be familiar with...what is the BHP (Brake Horsepower) output of a regular reciprocating engine operating at its maximum RPM –not a trick question, has just a simple answer.
Last edited by OLDGUNNER on Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA LIFE MEMBER

OLDGUNNER
Bullet Banger
Bullet Banger
United States of America

#105 Post by OLDGUNNER » Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:32 pm

FOR WHAT IT’S WORTH---
This is just for some that may wish to know what their fired bullet may look like, rifling engagement, covering, etc.

Line the wooden box with a hinged lid with garbage bag plastic and tape some plastic over the hole outside...and add water.

I can’t show a photo of mine because I haven’t finished it yet.
DSC_0056.JPG
NRA LIFE MEMBER

Return to “Fun Facts and Trivia”