http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I have a question for the sporterizing guys regarding an M44 and the scout project I going to do. How hard or easy is it to remove the bayonet lug? I have a buddy that has an M44 and I may obtain it through some horse trading thinking it could be the base of my project. I know the barrel steps down without it and that doesn't bother me. Could it be taken off so it can be re-installed?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:52 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

edited....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:22 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Yes it can be look in the main section of this forum and you will find how to take it off

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:14 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I finished it last Thursday and took it for a spin on Fri Morning. I was able to remove the bayonet lug and front sight. The pin by the bayonet lug came out easy but the one by the front sight base was a little stubborn. I took and old cold chisel I had and ground down the end to make a flat instead of a sharp point. Cinched the barreled action in a vise w/ wood to protect it and after a couple of hits with a hammer and cold chisel the unit came off. I was stoked!!! It looks okay; I don't mind the step down of the barrel and the areas where the pins were. I glass bedded the front receiver lug w/ a couple inches of the chamber, the rear tang, and the mount points of the magazine/floor-plate. Free-floated the barrel and made sure the hand-guard doesn't touch the barrel at all. I installed an S&K scout mount with a BSA 2-7x pistol scope. Not the best scope but I didn't want to spend a fortune for a scope if things didn't pan out the way I wanted. I have a Huber trigger coming to get rid of the atrocious 7-8lb pull. I have an M39 and the Finn trigger is much nicer. I may try a Finn trigger/sear combo to see how it feels. The original shellac was worn and chipped so I took it all down, hit it with some steel wool, put some Minwax 225 Red Mahogany stain and then brushed on two coats of amber shellac with sanding w/ 220grit paper between coats. Even with the issue stock, it is balanced, shoulders up nice and is very point-able.
At the range, I started w/ some Russian surplus 182gr yellow-tipped heavy ball. I don't like having to deal w/ corrosive primers so I pull the bullets and dump the powder in a primed Privi case and set the bullet in it. When I got it set at 100yds, It was throwing a 2-3" group with an occasional flyer. Then I tried some Privi Partisan 182gr Match and it shot a 1 1/2" group. Finally I shot some hand-loads I have for my M39 using sierra 174 MK's and shot a 3/4" group at 100yds. I was very pleased with the performance. Now that I have some fire-formed brass, I'll work up a hunting load using Sierra 180gr pro-hunters. It will make a nice woods rifle.
Later I may look into a Boyd's stock and upgrade the scope but right now just tweeking the trigger and working up a load for it......

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Excellant work. Looks sharp and shoots great too. :thumb: =D> 3/4" is great with a scout scope setup. Will make a great hunting gun. Keep up the good work. :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Performance update:
I installed a Huber trigger with am M39 sear and it made quite a difference in the trigger performance. Took it for a spin today and was very pleased w/ my test loads. It definitely prefers heavy bullets. I tried IMR-4964, IMR-4350, and Varget. At 51.6 grains, the IMR-4350 results were the best w/ 45.0 grains of Varget a close second. Either would perform well in the woods but the it's nice to see what potential this rifle has. I might try 52.0 gr of IMR-4350 but data I've read says it's the maximum charge. Distance was 100yds....

Last edited by concretus on Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:15 pm 
Mil-Surp Collector
Mil-Surp Collector

how do you think it would shoot with the bayo back on? I only ask because a true "scout" rifle needs a marshmellow, hotdog, rat and fish fire stick cooker....

nice group

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:55 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

bounce19712 wrote:
how do you think it would shoot with the bayo back on? I only ask because a true "scout" rifle needs a marshmellow, hotdog, rat and fish fire stick cooker....

nice group

I've heard that with it back on it will allow it to shoot around corners...... :liar:

Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:50 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Just my .02 but instead of spending 200 on a Boyd's stock I think the original would look cool duracoated

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:23 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

aadams22 wrote:
Just my .02 but instead of spending 200 on a Boyd's stock I think the original would look cool duracoated

Good point and worth considering.....Thanks.

I think with shipping a Boyd's stock will be about 120.00- 125.00

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:40 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Wow. Very nice shooting. Keep up the good work. It will make a great deer gun. And just be fun to blast targets with.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:41 pm 
Section Moderator
Section Moderator

I REALLY like the look of her with that stock... It's traditional, yet functional. I might have to try and do something with a cut down 91/30 stock. :thumb:

I like the lines of the Mosin Nagant stocks, but the length of pull just kills me with full power loads... I might have to figure something out.

Nice shooting concretus!! :clap: :clap: :clap: You should be proud!!

Also, I've tested loads of up to 55 grains of IMR 4350 under a 180 grain bullet with no pressure signs in my 91/30 sporter. With a shorter barrel, I don't know if any more powder will do anything more than add to the fireball (IMR 4350 is fairly slow burning). It's something to think about though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:05 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

If length of pull is an issue you may want ot add a rubber recoil pad, I think Masen makes one that just replaces the buut plate so you don't have to cut the stock, but a grind to fit would look a heck of a lot better.When I get my Arisaka done I'll post pictures of it, it's most likely going scout with a cut down barrel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:56 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I like the original stock too! The Duracoat idea is a good one but I might get another stock to do that and leave this the finish on this one as is. I don't mind the length of pull I puu my AK and AR up close too. It feels I have more control of the rifle. The LER scope is nice that I don't have to worry about getting busted in the eye. and shooting w/ both eyes open.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Sorry if I missed this somewhere in the post. What kind of mount did you go with? I can see it mounts on you sight base