http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:08 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I have been getting a lot of questions reguarding my current project. About a year ago I bought a mosin with a shot out barrel(almost smooth bore) and half a stock for $20 for parts. Well that parts gun quickly turned into a project gun. A friend gave me the butt of a psl stock and I figured I would try to splice it in. I ordered a barrel off of gun broker for a UK59 machine gun that was already threaded for a mosin and chambered. I put the barrel on and it headspaced good and timed correctly for the extractor. I ended up using a rock solid mount and bolt handle and put a Nikon buckmaster 6-18 scope on it. I have fiberglassed the stock to help tie everything together for strength, I will find out how good I am at fiberglass tomorrow. I am planning on doing a test fire tomorrow morning before I go and put alumahyde on the gun. Hopefully by this time tomorrow, I will be posting pics of a target with one ragged hole.

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:35 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

i like it. what better way to bring back a rifle from the dead.

some may not like it. nothing wrong with being different!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 10:29 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

Your rifle really looks cool! I never would have thought to use the PSL stock--the rifle looks like some of the "tacti-cool" snipers I see in the gunzines. Anxious to see range results--

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 4:56 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

It shoots like a dream, I couldn't be happier. I had no issues at all with it yesterday. It does have a huge muzzle blast that makes an m44 look tiny, actually flame thrower like. The sound is very distinctive too, not the sharp crack of a normal rifle it has a loud thud almost like artillery. I didn't fine tune the scope because it is coming right off so I can put some finish on the gun and I am replacing those junk rings I used, I just wanted to see how it grouped. Here is a target from 250yds, 2 holes almost touching. Like I said, even though it shot low(I dont care, didn't dial in) it shot really nice groups, I am impressed!

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:35 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

usnmars wrote:
It shoots like a dream, I couldn't be happier. I had no issues at all with it yesterday. It does have a huge muzzle blast that makes an m44 look tiny, actually flame thrower like. The sound is very distinctive too, not the sharp crack of a normal rifle it has a loud thud almost like artillery. I didn't fine tune the scope because it is coming right off so I can put some finish on the gun and I am replacing those junk rings I used, I just wanted to see how it grouped. Here is a target from 250yds, 2 holes almost touching. Like I said, even though it shot low(I dont care, didn't dial in) it shot really nice groups, I am impressed!

When I was looking at the picture I did not scroll all the way down and I was reading that it shot great at 250.
The only thing i was looking at was at the red target ant it looked as if you were shooting lead shot and I said what the heck
he is saying that it shoots great. When I scrolled all the way down, yes in dead my friend its a shooter.
I have a bull barrel in .308 that I want to fit into a wore out barreled action but my gunsmith wont take any jobs for the next 3 months.

Oscar

The second step is to ignore the first step

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:01 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Hey Oscar, I did the same thing. I'm looking at the target trying to figure out which two bullet holes that usnmars is so proud of until I scrolled down a little farther, then it made sense.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 10:49 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Nice looking rifle :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Heavy barrel WOW :thumb: Great looking stock :thumb:

https://sites.google.com/site/roscoeworld/

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:01 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I like it. That barrel is gonna be hard to beat for stiffness. I'd be interested in seeing the final product with a more detailed range report. Nice work. :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:36 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

I still need to camo the bolt, bipod and rings. But here is what I am working on so far. I am using aluma-hyde which seems to be some great stuff. I will be taking it out on saturday and am going to give a detailed range report and some pictures of targets after I get the scope fine dialed in.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 am 
Mil-Surp Psychosis
Mil-Surp Psychosis

Amazing!!! way cool. ive seen those barrels on GB and had the same idea i just wasnt sure but now i know it can be done, i have an old hungarian m-44 that i got for 40$ to practice finishing stocks and i gave up on th ecold blueingso i totally bubba'd it and use black high heat spray paint. it was 40 bucks and the stock turned out ok butit was my first time. i got it with the intent of if imessed up it was ok. anyways im totally gonna use it for a heavy target rifle now. however i do have some question
1. what kind of ammo did you use
2. where did u get that stock? is that a reworked boyds?
3. what kind of trigger do you have inthere- i HIGHLY suggest a 1-2lb timmney thet are amazing!!!

cant wait to see the more detailed range reports and see your groups of 3 or 5. not saying its not a great gun or your not a great shot but 2 can be luck. happy shooting-alex!!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:52 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I'm assuming you did all this work yourself. If so that's amazing. =D> I wish you had gone into more detail. Is it chambered in 7.62x54R? What technique did you use to get that camo pattern? Like you, I have every expectation it will shoot very well. Nice job! Now come on with that range report. :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:03 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

That thing looks MEAN, I like it! :thumb: I think Vassilli would approve. Keep us updated and let us know how it does when it's dialed in and everything.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:34 pm 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

Thanks for the kind replies. This is something that I found a use for a parts gun. I had a 91-30 that had half a stock and a barrel with literally no rifling left. I got the barrel off of gunbroker and it is chambered in 7.62x54. A friend gave me a psl butt as a joke to see if I would actually do something with it--I just said "game on!" I spliced it into the mosin stock and doweled all joints. After that I put a couple of coats of fiberglass on the stock to really tie everything together. I am using a rock solid mount and bolt body. Both of which seem to be very high quality products. The scope is a Nikon Buckmaster that I had laying around. Here is a quick range report from today.

Ammo was 1985 Russian light ball. Temp was 92º and wind was 2-3kts ENE. The gun shot good and impressed the hell out of me. Here is a pic of a target from 200yds and a 5 shot group. I am going to work up some hand loads next time I get back from work. Maybe I will find something that it really likes.

Who says mosins cant shoot!!!! LOL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:38 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Buddy, if that's a 200 yd. 5 shot group - I think you've found what it likes. I wouldn't do a thing to the rifle, but I'd buy a case of whatever ammo shot that group and live happily ever after.