http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:04 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

I am finishing up some repairs and remodeling at my cabin. I need to finish some trim, T/G paneling and logs. Zinsser Amber Shellac is spot on for color and finish on the T/G and trim. I'd like it a shade lighter on the logs.

Can I thin the Zinsser Amber to get a lighter finish? Do I just use DNA?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:54 pm 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

shellac is a alcohol based varnish. so the denatured alcohol is the only way to thin down shellac.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:39 pm 
Benefactor
Benefactor

I don't believe adding denatured alcohol will actually change the "shade" of the shellac, but thinning out what is already there may give you the effect you are looking for. If it turns out too light, keep adding coats to darken. Seems to work on gunstocks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:39 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

alcohol will thin it. You could also buy a quart of clear shellac and mix it in to your desired shade. That way you are still getting the same thickness and protection per coat and will end up the the color and overal protection/sealing properties.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:23 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

shoot4fun wrote:
alcohol will thin it. You could also buy a quart of clear shellac and mix it in to your desired shade. That way you are still getting the same thickness and protection per coat and will end up the the color and overal protection/sealing properties.

THAT IS A GREAT IDEA. I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 am 
Mil-Surp Museum Curator
Mil-Surp Museum Curator

Great idea. I will let you know how it turns out. I don't need a thinner product, just a lighter shade.

I thought maybe just adding alcohol would work as I seem to remember shellac being sold by the "cut", or so much shellac to so much alcohol.