http://www.scoutscopes.comhttp://www.mojosights.comhttp://smith-sights.com

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: VZ24 Stock Help
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 1:16 am 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Greetings! I am fairly new to surplus firearm collecting and while I have a little knowledge in wood work, I know little about gun stocks. I recently purchased a 1938 Czech VZ24 and I have a few questions.

First off, I really don't know what kind of finish is currently on the stock. I attached pictures to possibly help anyone identify the finish.

Secondly, after determining what finish is currently on the stock, what should I do to it to achieve a period correct finish?

Thanks for any input
- Pat

Attachments:
image (1).jpg
image (1).jpg [ 25.82 KiB | Viewed 962 times ]
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 32.25 KiB | Viewed 962 times ]

Post subject: Re: VZ24 Stock Help
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:05 am 
Benefactor
Benefactor

:D Welcome to the forum, I hope this helps. By the way, A great looking stock with patina.

I can not tell from the photo your finish. The photos do not enlarge. However, it appears you have a nice worn patina on that Vz 24. I think those just had a BLO finish that ages with other oils used to wipe down a stock ( motor oil) and years of handling and cleaning solutions. To be sure I need a close up, but here is an old post with one of mine that has an original finish from years of oil and dirt wiped onto and into the wood. In the heat it seeps cosmo oil. Yours looks like the original finish unless it one of the later rebuilt Aim sold Vz 24s with a new missmatched handguard and receiver lacking a crest.
This one is a harder to find Chinese marked VZ 24. See close ups of wood finish.
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=94787&hilit=+chinese+vz+24

see this old post on cleaning and some nice close ups from Candyman.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=112925&hilit=+refinish+vz+24

Here is a link to an arsenal referb with sanded & refinished VZ24. You can click on photos and they enlarge to see a close up of an arsenal redo.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=112925&hilit=+refinish+vz+24

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:28 am 
Mil-Surp Shooter
Mil-Surp Shooter

What I can see appears original and correct and should not be touched.

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 8:29 pm 
Mil-Surp Owner
Mil-Surp Owner

Thanks for the info guys!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:34 am 

Your rifle looks great, but the stock is dirty. Some will say don't tuch it, some will say to clean it and some will say to refinish it. Really it is up to you. What I say is do what would have beed dun to the rifle if it was still in military use today.
Back in the day a GI would scrub the stock with hot soapy water, gasoline, or anything that he could get his hands on. After the stock was dry he would rub it down with oil. BLO or similar oil for wood would have been issued for stock care, but a GI would use whatever type of oil he could get his hands on. If wax was handy, a top coat of wax would be applied over the oil finish. Most often stock wax was not around so a GI would just use a plain candel and rub the stock down with it.
Since we are not back in the day and just about anything we need can be picked up at the store, you really don't need to cut corners.
First check if the stock is soaked with oil. Just heat it with a blow dryer or get it out in the sun. If it starts to leach oil, you may want to do a good cleaning. If just a little oil comes to the surface, you might want to do a light cleaning.
Here is a link to a light cleaning done with BLO.
viewtopic.php?f=137&t=77501
Here is a link for a good cleaning.
viewtopic.php?f=83&t=99678

If you go with the good cleaning there is no need to sand after cleaning, just Bone the stock. That is use a hard wood dowel (Ash, pice of pool cue) and rub down the stock and then do an oil finish with BLO and top off with Tom's 1/3 Mix.

I do not relish to feel what the men that used these weapons felt when they saw the elephant. For the elephant has tusk and to see him is to have his tusk dig deep into your soul. You will always have a part of you that will be cold and empty.
Semper Fi